Tuesday, November 6, 2012

A Historic Day

I know this is a big day in the US. Who knows, it might even turn out to be a historic day. But that is not what I am referring to. I have news to share that is, on the Hammond scale of events, even bigger than a national election.

This morning when I checked Facebook I had a friend request. I was surprised. I limit my Facebook friends to people I know and I couldn't for the life of me figure out who sent the request. It turns out it was my mom! You would have to know my mom to appreciate how big of a deal this was. You see, my mom doesn't do technology. She doesn't even own a debit card. And, up until yesterday, she didn't own an iPad. Here's what happened.

My brother is visiting her right now, and he is the King of Craigslist. The two of us have been trying to talk my mom into updating from the 1960s to the year 2012 for months. We finally wore her down to the point she agreed to let him look and see what he could find, but said she wouldn't pay more than $200. Well, The King came through and my mom is now the proud owner of an iPad 2. This morning he set up a Facebook account for her and the rest is history.

Now she will be able to Skype with her grandkids that live far away and don't have phone plans that include long distance. She won't have to ask me to Google things for her. She can get the Wheel of Fortune app and play her favourite game. Hey, she can even read my blog! It is truly a momentous day.




Welcome to 2012 Mom!

20 comments:

  1. Congratulations to your mom! My mom has an iPad, too, but it is a bit of a challenge to figure new technology out (and I can relate to that)She will often call me and thank me for the email and reply over the phone! ;0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's hilarious! At least she is using it enough to get your email, even if she doesn't reply online. :-)

      Delete
  2. aw, what a sweet sweet Mom! And now you're going to have to learn how to write about your escapades in Mom code. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I will now have to filter what I say. In fact, I'm sure I'm already in trouble for blogging about her, and worse yet in my mom's sin department, putting a picture of her on my blog!

      Delete
  3. Oh how wonderful! Your Mom is living on the wild side now! My 85 year old Mom refuses to embrace tech. though she does now have a cell phone!!!!
    That was a big move for her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A cell phone counts as technology, and if your mom is 85 I think she earns extra points for attempting to use one!

      Delete
  4. Yay Mom!! I hope she loves it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time will tell. My brother and I are hoping she will take to it, but you never know. It might find its way back onto Craigslist. :-)

      Delete
  5. Wow! Your mom has gotten with the times in a big way. Does she have strong feelings one way or the other about Canadian spelling? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure about the Canadian spelling. I have a feeling I might hear about it after she encounters it on my blog. I just hope her iPad doesn't end up back on Craigslist because she doesn't like it!

      Delete
    2. Haha, that's what I was thinking--that she might not like her American daughter using extra "u"s. :)

      Delete
    3. I actually find myself feeling torn about the US/Canadian spelling thing. My spell checker is set to Canadian spelling, which tips the scale towards me using it. If I use American spelling it is constantly trying to correct words. It is quite annoying. The worst thing is now I feel like I use a mix of both spellings, which is confusing for everyone including my computer.

      Delete
  6. goodness well done Mum. My parents have a mobile phone, and never turn it on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! My mom did own a mobile phone. She never turned it on either and has since thrown it away! :-)

      Delete
  7. Your mom looks adorable! I talked my mom into getting Facebook a few years ago when I was in college, in the hopes she would send me less emails. She ended up sending the double the messages instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny! Well, at least she is keeping in touch!

      Delete
  8. It is a big day! Truth be told, my mom is way more technological savvy than I am. Which is not to say she understands it all and can navigate them without issue...but she has all the gadgets! In fact, she started texting years before I was drug into it kicking and screaming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think your mom is definitely an exception to the rule, Rachel. How nice though - if you have technology issues you can phone her for help!

      Delete
  9. Hooray for your mom!! My mom doesn't do very much on her laptop, but she does text me more than either of my kids do... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am driving down to see my mom today, so I am hoping I can keep her going on her iPad. My brother was just visiting her and got her set up on it, and now if she continues with me hopefully she will have enough confidence to use it on her own. That's funny that your mom texts you more than your kids! :-)

      Delete