Saturday, November 17, 2012

Backyard Chickens

Last weekend my mom and I went to visit my cousin Tammy and her husband Russ. They now have six chickens in their backyard, and to say I was jealous would be a huge understatement. When Tammy took me out back to have a meet and greet with the birds my jealousy grew. The reason? Two of their chickens are Araucanas.

If you aren't familiar with Araucanas I will tell you the thing that sets them apart from other breeds. They lay coloured eggs! When we lived in the Slocan Valley Karsten and Kellen had a chicken business. They had a great business plan. Jay and I covered all the expenses and the boys pocketed all the money from egg sales. There was never a problem selling the eggs either. Jay would take them to his office and they were scooped up right away. I think one of the reasons they were so popular was because every carton of eggs included a couple of the coloured Araucana eggs. The colours ranged from pink to purple to aqua. It was like Easter every day of the year.

Of course my mom just doesn't get the chicken thing. Her question was why on earth would anyone want to bother with messy chickens when they can just go to the store and buy eggs. Here's the answer in pictures.

They don't sell eggs like this at the grocery store

The eggs they do sell don't have yolks this colour

And your omelet won't taste as good as this one


I finished the last of the eggs Tammy and Russ gave me this morning. Happily I still have some farm-fresh eggs in the fridge thanks to my friend Maureen, who gifted me with a dozen yesterday. Not so happily, Kamloops continues to refuse to pass a bylaw allowing backyard chickens. This city needs to get with the times. Even Vancouver allows backyard chickens now! It will happen eventually, and the minute it does I'll be putting in my order for chicks, including a couple of Araucanas. And if the neighbours are unhappy about a few weeds, imagine how they are going to feel about the chickens.

14 comments:

  1. My town is the same, and with all the other angst around here in this resource town that is slowly losing its tax base -- I think chickens are very low on the priority list. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought when Vancouver okayed chickens Kamloops would be quick to follow suit. No such luck. I am surprised you can't have chickens. I'm pretty sure they are allowed in Victoria.

      Delete
    2. But Victoria is really the only non-conservative city on the island....

      Delete
  2. I love free range, backyard chicken eggs. We had backyard chickens for a couple years when the kids were into it. Now I get them regularly from my neighbour up the street.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's probably the same neighbour I buy from at the market all summer long!

      Delete
  3. One day I will have chickens (my brother has some in the middle of seattle for pete's sake!).

    I get our eggs from a friend/colleague and I've become so spoiled by the taste that I can barely eat store-bought eggs. Hopefully she'll keep me supplied for another few years until I can have my own chickens!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finding a good local source of fresh eggs is the next best thing to having your own chickens. I'm not surprised to hear that Seattle allows chickens. Many cities have loosened their bylaws to allow for a small number of backyard birds. I have no idea why Kamloops is so behind the times. It is very frustrating though.

      Delete
  4. I love free range chickens and their colorful eggs. My boss brings me lots of fresh eggs. Just had "breakfast" for dinner last night ! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can doubly enjoy your fresh eggs because they have more nutrients than the factory farmed kind, too.

      Delete
  5. Love the idea! Having backyard chickens is something that I want someday soon. The only negative being the daily poop clean-up. But the beautiful, fresh, eggs & knowing what your chickens have ingested is worth the once-a-day yuck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All that chicken manure can be used as compost, so even that part has its bright side! :-)

      Delete
  6. Very interesting eggs, I hope I get to try them someday. Hopefully we can find a local producer. I don't think we'll raise chickens ourselves--it would be another I Love Lucy episode. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's nothing wrong with I Love Lucy. :-) If you have a farmer's market you could look there for the coloured eggs. I bet someone has them near you. I think they are getting to be quite popular. Of course they taste just like regular eggs, but it is worth trying to find them for the novelty.

      Delete
  7. That omelet looks absolutely yummie!!!

    ReplyDelete