Saturday, November 24, 2012

Dispatched!

Rebekah, if you are reading this post please STOP now! You may come back and read it after Christmas.

Yesterday was a big day. I finally got Rebekah's Christmas parcel mailed. It might not sound like a big deal, but I was under a deadline. The Canada Post cut-off for getting parcels to South Korea was looming and as of Friday I still hadn't finished her gifts. I did something completely out of character for me and stayed up late (meaning after 10 PM) and knit away into the night until every single item had been cast off.

By the time I got to the post office Saturday morning I was practically delirious. I'm not sure if it was with relief, exhaustion, or a combination of the two. I asked the lady behind me if she would mind taking a picture of me. She gave me an odd look as she reached for my phone, but I was too tired to explain.




That small box is packed with goodness (and a lot of love). Hopefully enough goodness to keep Rebekah from being too sad on what will be her first Christmas away from family. There is a gift from her sister Alexandra, and several things from me. These two come with instructions to unwrap as soon as they arrive. I thought she needed some things to make her apartment look a little Christmassy. It's a candy cane Korknisse and one of the Christmas balls by the famous duo of Arne and Carlos. They are the perfect ornaments for mailing - small, lightweight and unbreakable.




Next up is the project that caused some wailing and gnashing of teeth. It all came out fine in the end, but here's a piece of knitting advice. If you are knitting something that has a chart, and your son comes for a visit, DO NOT keep knitting while you chat. You might make a mistake that means tinking back four rows, resulting in the loss of all gains made that afternoon plus taking up a good chunk of your evening knitting time to fix.

Here is the Woolly Wormhead Mystery KAL hat, hot off the needles and on its way across the Pacific to Rebekah. Note this is the wrong daughter modelling it. Also note it was a bad idea to ask the non-recipient daughter to model it. She liked it so much she has now requested I knit her one of her own. I told her not to mention it again until after Christmas.




13 comments:

  1. Good thing I have my own knitter, or I might have come begging to you as well.
    As soon as I saw the picture, I marched up to the kitchen. "Have you seen Kristie's latest blog post, mom? Cause I want one!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! Now I am going to be in trouble with your mom! :-)

      Delete
  2. Its a lovely hat, I'm not surprised your other daughter wants one too! Well done on getting it all finished!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I barely made it. The post office cut-off is just a couple of days from now. It is such a relief to have it done. Now I can work on the other unfinished Christmas presents!

      Delete
  3. A mother's (and knitter's) devotion drove you to meet the deadline...you did a great job on the hat--I'm sure the next one will turn out as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next one? What next one? Remember it isn't to be talked about until after Christmas. :-)

      Delete
  4. Ahh, what a great head. And how cool that you finished it in time... I am always in trouble with these kind of deadlines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have trouble knitting to deadlines, too. The minute there is a deadline attached to a project I stop enjoying the process of knitting it. But in this case, since it was for Rebekah, it was worth it!

      Delete
  5. Well done for getting finished and I am sure she will love her gifts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I just need to cross my fingers that they get there. Hopefully the Korean postal system is reliable.

      Delete
  6. That is a gorgeous hat. I'm looking for a new pattern, even though I suck at patterns) & this may be a winner.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you would like knitting this hat! Plus there is the Woolly Wormhead forum on Ravelry, so if you get stuck you can always find help over there. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooohhh, I like that one! Hopefully that pattern will be available to buy once the KAL is done? I'll have to go look...

    ReplyDelete