Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Finally Healed!

I am happy to report that Alexandra's incision has finally healed. It has been a long, slow journey with lots of set-backs along the way. But all of that is history now. She was able to get rid of the vac dressing last Friday, and when she saw the nurse on Monday was told she won't need to use it again. The incision is now closed. She was very reluctant to be seen in public with over a meter of heavy plastic tubing coming out of her side, so by the time she got rid of the thing she was ready to celebrate. Within hours she and her friend Hannah were on their way to Kelowna for the day. I think she looks pretty happy, minus the machine, in this picture Hannah took of her standing in front of Okanagan Lake.





This means my stress knitting will slow down just in time for the Christmas knitting rush. In other words, I am still knitting at high speed. Since some of what I am working on right now is gift knitting I can't show you everything. I am able to show you this EZ Brioche Hat I finished a couple of weeks ago though. I finally got a chance to deliver it to my friend Cindy yesterday. Anita was kind enough to model it for me so I could put the project up on Ravelry.




My plan yesterday had been to take some fall pictures on the drive out to Cindy's house. She lives near Shuswap Lake, and it is a very beautiful area. Unfortunately the weather didn't cooperate. It was an ugly day - grey and rainy, with clouds so low you could hardly see the road, never mind the mountains. So instead I will leave you with this picture Alexandra took on Monday near Kamloops Lake.



19 comments:

  1. I AM SO HAPPY!!!!!! Hallelujah for Alexandra, and for you. I've been wondering how she was doing, hoping for the best in the background. She (and you) must be so relieved, and feel so free.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, relieved and free are the two words that best sum up our feelings. It is nice to have that whole nightmare scenario behind us. :-)

      Delete
  2. What great colours! This must have been such a relief for you all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a huge relief. I didn't realize just how stressed out I was until I stopped being stressed, if that makes any sense.

      Delete
    2. It makes perfect sense: you never realize how tense things have been until your stomach muscles stop clenching.
      -- stashdragon

      Delete
  3. I am pleased to read that Alexandra is better! Good luck with the xmas knitting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah! I only have a couple of Christmas items on my "to knit" list, but they both have to be mailed to their recipients, which means they need to be done by the beginning of December.

      Delete
  4. I am so happy to hear that Alexandra is healed. I know how she is so happy to be free of the machine and tubing. As I told you before about having one of those machines myself, they do work really well but are a pain to deal with. I had wondered about her several times after our exchange about the vac machine. Good wishes to both of you that it is finally behind you. Good luck with your Christmas knitting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been so helpful to have your experience to draw on, Pat. You are the only other person besides Alexandra who I have heard of using this machine. Thanks for being willing to share - it was much appreciated!

      Delete
  5. Yes! Alexandra is radiating happy--and Anita seems pretty happy too. :)

    That's too bad about the weather, but all in all this is a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. They are both so happy, and I feel very fortunate to have two such lovely women in my life. You are right, it has been a wonderful week. :-)

      Delete
  6. So glad to hear about Alexandra..one less thing to stress about with the busy Christmas season coming up. Nice hat, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would like knitting this hat pattern. Maureen has knit at least one of them too and liked it.

      Delete
  7. Great news! And that's an amazing photograph she took...what colors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alexandra is a much better photographer than me. And yes, it is very good news about her incision. Now I hope she manages to stay stitched together!

      Delete
  8. That last picture is so beautiful it's almost unreal. I would print it in large format and put it on my wall.
    -- stashdragon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it gorgeous? Alexandra is a good photographer!

      Delete
  9. I'm just the same when I'm told not to do something!

    Alexandra looks well, and that photograph ... wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there are a lot of us like that! And yes, she looks great. Such a relief!

      Delete