Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Low Fashion

I have made the best footwear discovery ever. Bog boots. A friend bought a pair of these last month and went on and on (and on and on) about how wonderful they are. Then she suggested I look up the reviews on Amazon. I did, and couldn't believe what I was reading. Really? All these people gushing over puddle boots? They were using descriptive language one would usually expect to see directed at a much-loved family member or spouse. Not boots.

Being the owner of Fergus (or owned by Fergus, I'm never sure which it is), I knew I needed something practical to wear for walking him this fall and winter. I didn't want to fool around with lace-up boots, needed whatever I chose to be warm and have good traction, and also needed them to be waterproof. The Bogs seemed to be the answer. I took a chance and ordered them from Amazon.

Due to a combination of being totally fashion unconscious and frugal, I ordered the basic high handle black boots. After all, these are for walking the dog through snow, slush and mud, not spending a night out on the town. I was worried when I slipped them on the first time. It was going to be a major pain to have to mail them back if they didn't fit...

That was the moment I became Grace Makutsi, the loyal assistant to Mma Ramotswe of the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency. As readers of this series know, Mma Makutsi's shoes speak to her. Well, these boots spoke to me the minute I slipped them over my wool socks. They told me we were going to be best friends, that they would keep me warm and dry, that even though they might be plain on the outside, they were beautiful on the inside.




Now I understand the reviews at Amazon.



16 comments:

  1. what excellent timing! a friend just moved to NYC (or Chicago, not sure) and asked for boot recommendations. I'm sending her to these boots, which do look like All That. And so do you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she would love these! They have really nice coloured and print ones, too.

      Delete
  2. That's what boots are supposed to look like! How is the traction on wet grass? My son handles most of the Bandit walking for us and I worry about him slipping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These have great traction. I have been on frosted over stairs, wet grass, and snow with them and they have been great on all three. If you go read the Amazon reviews you can see it's not just me raving about them!

      Delete
  3. After years of working on the 'wet' side and suffering through either wet feet or painful feet by using cheap, crappy, rubber boots, I finally broke down and bought some Bogs before this past field season. I love them. Very comfortable and it's amazing how much better my mood is when I have dry warm feet. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, these must be perfect for your job! Yours will get a lot more of a workout than mine. Taking care of Fergus is a little easier than traipsing off through the bush. :-)

      Delete
  4. Comfort is always more important than style. I want some of those. Someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe these could be a gift to yourself after you recover from your second knee replacement. ?? An argument could be made that they would be a good investment because they would help keep you from slipping and risking damage to your "new knee." :-)

      Delete
  5. I think they look cool too! I keep meaning to buy a pair of boots like this for winter rugby games and general kids following around, perhaps I will get some like this now, some of the designs are cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the first things I thought when I slipped them on was how I wished I had had them for all those soccer games of my kids I stood freezing on the sidelines watching. I say go for it!

      Delete
  6. Gotta say..those look like great boots! Are they lined?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The boots are made of Neoprene, and the bottom has rubber around the Neoprene, so I think that would count as being lined. They are nice and warm. I'm not sure how they will be in January, but for now my toes are toasty warm.

      Delete
  7. Your boots look good! I have just discovered that ny boots are letting in water and need replacing.I know what you mean about who is the owner - Fergus or you!
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you can get these boots in Britain I say go for it. You won't be sorry!

      Delete
  8. The boots look great! I bought bright yellow rain boots from L.L. Bean a while ago, and frequently wish I got shorter, black ones instead so they would be less conspicuous. When I had a puppy though, I stopped caring what they looked like because nothing looks good at five in the morning with my reindeer pajama pants stuffed inside of them, and me saying "just pee!!!" to a five pound jack russell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I am laughing at you being out in your reindeer pyjamas! I always hope the neighbours are still asleep when I walk Fergus first thing in the morning. I am a scary sight. :-)

      Delete