Sunday, November 18, 2012

Meat-Up

Yesterday I drove an hour south of Kamloops to Merritt, BC. British Columbia is a beautiful province filled with charming towns, mountains, rivers, lakes, ranch land, and vineyards. There are more great places to see and things to do than the average person would ever have time to experience. It is why visitors return to our province over and over again. Having said that, I also have to admit that for such a beautiful province we seem to have more armpits than an octopus, and in my opinion Merritt is one of these. Which is my long-winded way of saying I don't have any pictures from my visit to Merritt.

I went to Merritt to meet Ellen. Every year we go in on an order of beef, and I had her half ready to deliver. Ellen lives in the Vancouver area, so it means we pick a point partway between our homes to do our beef handover. This is what half a steer looks like, cut and wrapped.




This is grass-fed beef from the 4 Bar S Ranch in Barriere, a small community about an hour north of Kamloops. If you click on that link it will take you to an interesting video done by the daughter of the ranch owners. 4 Bar S Ranch is at the Kamloops Farmer's Market every Saturday, and over the past several years I have gotten to know the owner Cindy and her daughter Melanie. These women are amazing. They do all the cutting and wrapping for their ranch operation, they attend several farmer's markets, they knit, they spin, along with a thousand other things that need to be done to keep a ranch running. I really appreciate being able to purchase my meat from people I know.

We have been having unseasonably warm weather this weekend, which made it the perfect time for a "meat-up." We didn't have to worry about snow on the mountain passes. What I hadn't counted on was the wind. It was so strong that several times I had to grip the steering wheel tightly to keep the vehicle on the road. Still, it beat driving over snow and ice. I see Ellen has posted on Facebook today that she is making a "good English roast dinner" today. I must admit to being a bit envious. You see, my freezer isn't big enough to hold a whole beef. So I had to clear Ellen's out before I could get mine, which will hopefully be sometime this week. Which would explain why we have had two vegetarian meals in a row.

7 comments:

  1. Glad to see you get your beef from such a great place! We get chicken and hamburger from a local farmer...which is mostly what we eat meat-wise. I still supplement with grocery store stuff as needed but cringe every time I do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am envious of your supply of chickens. I wish I could find a way around having to buy poultry at the grocery store. I usually buy six or seven whole roasting hens from a local source, but for recipes calling for chicken thighs or breasts only I am stuck.

      Delete
  2. That is so awesome!!

    (And I'm kind of cringing for poor Merritt, and hoping no one from there reads your blog....)

    Around here there are chickens, but they are way too big for my small family generally!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, maybe I should edit the part about Merritt. But I don't think I have any readers from there. And if I did I probably don't any more. :-)

      Delete
  3. Awesome! Growing up my parents would by half or share a whole lamb/cow with another family. It's also nice to know where your food comes, to be able to talk to the farmers & build a relationship with them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are so many things I love about living in the south (no snow and ice being one of them), but I very much miss good beef. There are NO good butcher shops - not many bad ones either - and I miss the beef!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to admit to being envious too! I'm tempted to copy you, but I'm afraid my wife and I would turn the activity into an episode of I Love Lucy. :)

    ReplyDelete