Thursday, November 8, 2012

On the Road

Today's post is going to be a quick one. I am on the road, halfway between Kamloops and Spokane. I am headed down to visit my mom for a few days. My brother phoned me yesterday from the Denver Airport to give me a manual's worth of instructions as to what I am allowed and not allowed to show my mom on her new iPad. He has forbidden email, web browsing except for Google, etc., etc. He is afraid too much information will end up confusing her. I am afraid I have a rebellious personality. The minute someone tells me not to do something that becomes the very thing I want to do. :-)

I am a slow learner when it comes to this drive. Out of a combination of boredom and hunger I always manage to finish my lunch by about 8:30 in the morning. This tends to be a problem since there is another six hours of driving left before I get to Spokane.

When I pulled into my usual bathroom stop at Rock Creek this old school bus was in the parking lot. I might have been hungry, but not even starvation would make me desperate enough to buy fish from such a sketchy source.



Besides, I knew that if I could just hang in there for another half hour I would be to Greenwood, one of my favourite small towns in BC. The Deadwood Junction is home to the best handmade salted caramels in the world. I have blogged about them before.



The shop is filled with interesting things, including that bowl of spirit rocks. The sign on the front of the building bragging about Greenwood getting the 2012 award for the world's best tasting water made me smile. They have been under a boil water advisory for months due to the town's water supply being contaminated. Now it's time to hit the road again. Only another four hours to go!

13 comments:

  1. The contamination adds flavor. :)

    Shoot me an email if you have time to meet. The RWA meeting at the PF library is at 10:00 on Saturday. Maybe you'd enjoy that--or yarn trolling? I think, yes! (Bring your mom, of course.) But if you're booked up with family stuff, no problem. We'll do it some other visit. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to meet up, but I don't think I will have time this time I'm down. Next time for sure! Yarn trolling sounds perfect!

      Delete
  2. More things we have in common--being told we can't do something giving us the impulse to do it and not buying seafood from a sketchy roadside source. Both completely normal and sensible.

    Hope you have a good visit. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think our shared common feature of wanting to do the very thing we are told not to do is a bad thing, but I have noted that not everyone shares that opinion. :-)

      Delete
  3. God's speed and safe travels! I need to pack my overnight bags and go visit my Mom as well, but I have so many opened committments...... I end up sending myself on a huge guilt trip........

    Thanks - your post sent me into a downward guilt trip...................... lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, please don't feel guilty! We all do what we can. I think when it comes to visiting our parents we always end up feeling like we could/should do more.

      Delete
  4. Lovely.

    Good luck on mom and technology. I get phone calls every other day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I have now been at her place for 24 hours and she has yet to bring out her iPad to use. This in spite of the fact I have made several suggestions. It isn't easy to pull them into the technology that surrounds them is it?

      Delete
  5. I would totally buy the smoked salmon or lox from that bus.
    -- stashdragon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a much braver person than I am! :-)

      Delete
    2. Well, I figured that the smoking process would probably ward off any unwelcome microbiota. Then, while buying a smoked item I'd be able to judge the enterprise as a whole. Maybe the proprietors catch everything themselves, and it's all splendidly fresh, while the schoolbus just means they have a low overhead.

      Delete
  6. I think if I were your brother, there are some other sites I would have added on as a no-no for your mom! ;)

    That bus looks perfectly normal to me. Although I did grow up in the south so 'sketchy' is relative!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I read your comment to my mom and she laughed! If that bus looks normal to you, then "sketchy" must indeed be relative. :-)

      Delete