Thursday, November 1, 2012

Resisting Temptation

I think I have done something stupid. Actually, I think I have done two stupid things, but you will have to wait for my next post to hear about the second one.. These things were undertaken in an effort to resist the temptation to do NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month).

I did NaNoWriMo two years ago and it was a great experience. The rules are very simple. You have to write 50,000 words in the month of November. It can't be anything you have written before. You start November 1 and must be done by November 30. It is very doable as long as you don't need to eat or sleep. I kept going back and forth. Should I? Shouldn't I? In the end I decided it would be crazy to sign up since I am going to visit my mom next week and will miss at least six days of writing. I might be optimistic, but I am not deluded.

So instead of committing to 50,000 words (and possibly end up being committed as a result!), I have signed up for a more realistic writing challenge, NaBloPoMo. This means that I will be posting something every day for the month of November. Since I didn't sign up until today (registration is open until November 5), that means I am having to back-date this post to yesterday. It feels like the writing equivalent of cheating at solitaire.

4 comments:

  1. Just don't say I led you into temptation! I might have, but don't say it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only way I can NOT say it is if I remain silent. :-)

      Delete
  2. Good luck with NaBloPoMo! It may not be writing a novel in a month, but composing a daily blog post is no small feat,either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure if i have taken on too much, but I know I won't be writing 50,000 words on my blog this month!

      Delete