Friday, November 2, 2012

Stupid Thing Number Two

Here is the second stupid thing I have done. (In case you missed my previous post, which would have been easy to do since it got put up just minutes before this one, you can read about the first stupid thing here.) I have signed up for a mystery knitalong (KAL). I know there are quite a few non-knitters who read my blog, so let me explain. This is a project you commit to knitting over a specified time period. You have no idea what the finished object will look like. You only have a general description, which in the case of this KAL is a hat.

This might seem like an incredibly stupid idea, knitting something when for all you know it might end up looking like a dog's breakfast. But this KAL had a couple of things going for it that pulled me in. The first, and most important, was the fact it was happening in November. I needed some kind of carrot dangled in front of me to lure myself away from NaNoWriMo. The second thing is the designer happens to be Woolly Wormhead. I love her hat designs, and have been wanting to knit one for ages.

My first try at yarn for this was some Madelinetosh from my stash, but it wasn't going to work with the gauge requirements. I went diving back in and came up with a beautiful skein of String Theory Caper Sock yarn and have cast on for the first instalment. This is a much better match!




I figure that the hat will end up fitting someone, as our family has head sizes ranging from Hobbit to Neanderthal. But since that String Theory yarn has cashmere in it, I am selfish enough to hope I end up being the recipient.

14 comments:

  1. I personally don't think either are stupid ideas and it will be fun to see what you come up with for 30 days straight! As for the hat...at least it's a hat and not a sweater or shawl or something incredibly huge and complicated! Coincidentally, I'm currently knitting my nephew a Woolly Wormhead hat...my first of her patterns but most likely not my last!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am thinking the stupid thing was taking on two commitments in order to avoid a different commitment. I might have been better off with just the KAL, but couldn't resist the blog challenge.

      Which Woolly Wormhead pattern are you doing for your nephew?

      Delete
    2. I just went and looked at that hat on Ravelry. It is so cute it made me smile!

      Delete
  2. Here's another stupid thing: Your "robot checker" won't accept any of the words I type in! I made six tries on your first post and gave up. We'll see if it works this time.

    Mary G. in Texas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm replying to myself: Success! (I'm sorry I called your "robot checker" stupid (no I'm not).

      Delete
    2. I thought I had the robot checker turned off. I hate those things! How do I get rid of it? Sorry about that!

      Delete
    3. There, I think i have disabled it. Thank you so much for pointing out to me that I had it enabled.

      Delete
  3. Oooh can't wait to see the finished result. That is such a pretty blue. I am also happy to say I recognize both Wooly Wormhead and Madelinetosh. Slowly but surely the names are all becoming more familiar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! If you already recognize Woolly Wormhead and Madelinetosh I think you have definitely gone down the knitting rabbit hole! :-)

      Delete
  4. Do you know how close I came to joining in the KAL? Now you made me doubt my decision not to...but I will resist. Lots of other knitting to do this month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, but it's not too late! It would be fun to have you join! Besides, the finished hat is obviously going to have a brim, and it would suit Hannah perfectly. You could think of it as a stash reduction exercise. :-)

      Delete
  5. Blogging and knitting - two wonderful things to do in November! I love Wooly Wormhead designs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been admiring her hats for a long time so am super excited to knit this!

      Delete