Wednesday, November 28, 2012

The Art We Are

Until I did all that blogging from the coffee shop in Korea I thought I wasn't the kind of person who could get anything done in such a busy place. It was a surprise to discover I could shut out all the noise and activity around me (well, except for that day the Moonies were sitting next to me) and carry on with my writing.

At the time I wondered if it was working simply because the alternative was to write from my room at the Love Motel. Or, more likely, because I treated myself to a gelato every day when I was finished with the post. When I got home I decided to see if it would work, minus the Korean incentives.

Kamloops has a funky little cafe/coffee/eclectic craft shop called The Art We Are. I love this place. It is like stepping back into my years spent in the Kootenays. The ladies running the shop have dreadlocks and tattoos.



Not a single piece of furniture matches.




The art for sale is, well, eclectic.




Bits of folded paper are randomly sprinkled between the bricks. I grabbed the closest one and unfolded it to see what wisdom it would impart. It was a great pick for a knitter! It said "When the snow flies wear a toque." (Maybe I should take it home and read it to Jenny.)




You never know from day to day what your tea pot and mug will look like.






My routine right now is to come here three mornings a week. Some days, like today, I write a blog post.



Some days I work on other things. But the important thing, the thing that keeps me coming back is the fact I can get more done in two hours in these rather unique surroundings than I can get done in eight hours at home. There are no jobs that need to be done, no dogs that need my attention, no phone calls. Nothing but me, my computer, some noise cancelling headphones, a cup of tea, and occasionally one of the amazing Art We Are gluten-free muffins.




It might not be The Elephant House.




But that's okay. I'm not J.K. Rowling, Ian Rankin or Alexander McCall Smith.

22 comments:

  1. TAWA is my cafe of choice as well! I love the decor, the people watching, and the food! It would be a great place to write a best seller...that's what you're doing, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it great? So much better than the canned atmosphere at Starbucks! And to answer your question, like I said, I'm no JK Rowling, Ian Rankin or Alexander McCall Smith. :-)

      Delete
  2. Such a neat place...yes, it's much better than Starbucks. For those of us without noise cancelling headphones, how loud is the background music?

    Someday, someone might be standing in front of TAWA saying they're no Kristie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The background music isn't loud, but they like jazz. I can't think with jazz in the background. :-)

      As for your other comment, I would say highly unlikely!

      Oh, and if noise bothers you I highly recommend noise cancelling headphones. They are amazing.

      Delete
  3. So the noise cancelling headphones are pretty important? I've wondered about (a) those, and (b) working in a coffeeshop. Your productivity is amazing there. Once things settle down, I think I'll prowl around for nearby coffeeshops that aren't Starbucks. Austin has a bunch of them.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A friend told me about noise cancelling headphones a couple of years ago. I balked when I saw the price, but eventually caved and bought some. They have been a great investment. Highly recommended!

      Delete
  4. not yet you aren't, but just wait a few years :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We should have our next visit at The Art WeAre so you can check it out in person. I think you would like it.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. It is a wonderful, one-of-a-kind place. If we ever move from Kamloops it is one of the things i would miss the most.

      Delete
  6. I would love to sit there and do just what you are doing! God bless you! My home has too many distractions as well.......... most of it is right in my head.... to the left the dishes need doing, to the right there are crumbs on the floor (we have no dogs...lol), husband is not capable of finding ANYTHING (even if it is as big as an elephant and sitting on his chest) and my feline girls are very needy (which is the way I love cats to be).......

    What a lovely place! I would have to cancel out that jazz music....sorry but jazz just sets me right off into a frantic mood - not good for much of anything.......

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those distractions that are in the head are the main ones I am getting away from when I go there. Well, that and the dogs. And I am in complete agreement with you about jazz. :-)

      Delete
  7. Jealous. Both of the time and the place. And the writing getting done.

    Ah well, I'll just be happy that someone is out there doing it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your time will come. Remember, I am older than you and past the busy stage of life you are now in. :-)

      Delete
  8. That looks so nice. I haven't been brave enough to write in a coffee shop/cafe yet. Every time I think about it, it's too busy or the quiet spot is already taken. Someday though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I laughed when I read about the quiet spot already being taken. This shop doesn't open until 9:00, and I make sure I get there the minute it does. That way I'm sure to get "my" table. It usually isn't too busy then either, but if it gets busy that's another reason I like the headphones.

      Delete
  9. Now that looks like my kind of coffee shop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Several times I have wondered how you get anything done during the day with your dachshund and whippets all needing your attention! Do you ever sneak out to a coffee shop for a few minutes of peace and quiet?

      Delete
  10. This looks like an awesome place! I'm not sure I could 'work' in a coffee house but I definitely would hang out now and again if good 'ol NE Oregon had something even half as cool as this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always thought the same thing about working in a coffee shop. I was sure I would be too distracted, but it turns out those distractions are less distracting than the distractions at home. :-)

      Delete
  11. I would love that tea place :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you come visit me I would love to take you there. :-)

      Delete