Here's a look at where I thought I was headed in 2012, along with updates.
- I would like to get even more words written in 2012 than I did in 2011. It would be a bonus if I could find a way for those words to generate an income. I continued to write in 2012, and established the routine of going to the coffee shop three mornings a week. I'm quite happy with where I ended up in terms of my writing. There will be a blog post with details sometime soon!
- I would like to improve my photography skills. I didn't end up doing anything towards improving my picture taking skills, but just this week have discovered PicMonkey for photo editing, so I hope that will add to the quality of the pictures that make it into my blog.
- I want to keep moving forward with my Chinese language program. I stalled on my Chinese program partway through the year. I'm not sure why. Well, that's not exactly true. Learning Chinese is difficult. I am contemplating trying a different language.
- I hope to knit at least 6 of the sock patterns in Around the World in Knitted Socks. Where I went with this one surprised me, because I love every pair of socks in this book. When 2012 vanished into the history books last night I had knit exactly zero pairs of these gorgeous socks. I still have two pairs on the needles that I started in 2011 and didn't even manage to finish them! I have come to the conclusion that socks are my comfort knitting and I don't like doing complicated ones. That's not to say I won't make the occasional pair, but I don't think I will ever have a drawer full of fancy socks. Instead, the direction I did head in was to knit five of Kate Davies" patterns.
- I want to learn at least one new knitting technique (Brioche? Double Knitting?). I learned several new techniques when I knit the Kate Davies tea cozy pattern, and I knit a hat using the Brioche stitch. Double knitting got shoved to the back burner, but I have purchased a Lucy Neatby instructional DVD on the technique.
- I really, really really want to travel overseas again this year. At the beginning of 2012 I knew I would be taking another trip overseas, but I had no idea where I would be going. When Rebekah got the teaching job in South Korea my destination was set. It was a wonderful trip, in spite of the infamous accommodation.
There were also some surprise journeys last year. When 2012 rolled in I can tell you I had absolutely no intention of going to the gym on a regular basis. I also didn't know I would be getting a little white bundle of trouble named Fergus! I had no idea that Karsten and Diana would be living in Victoria by the end of 2012, or that Alexandra would be moved out and living on her own. And there were the few rough patches with Alexandra's health. (To be honest those felt more like forced marches than journeys down a path.)
Here's where I hope to be going in 2013.
- I hope to get a book published this year.
- I would like to go to Shetland, and also possibly Wales and Scotland.
- I would love to move to a small cabin on a few acres somewhere, anywhere where there are trees. It is starting to feel like time to leave Kamloops.
- 2013 seems like a good year to become a grandparent.
- I hope to knit several of the patterns out of the Colours of Shetland book by Kate Davies. I would like this to be the year I knit my souvenir yarn - the cashmere from my trip to China and the yarn from Scotland. After all, if I make it to Shetland I will need that room in my stash for all the Jamieson & Smith yarn I intend to come home with! I hope to knit at least a few of the fun things out of the Arne and Carlos books. And last but not least, I know several people having babies, so there will definitely be some baby knitting in 2013.
I think I should dub 2013 as The Year of Thinking Big! It will be interesting to see how it unfolds. Here's a look back at 2012. Of course there was some knitting.
My trip to Korea to visit Rebekah and Anton.
And, as always, the most important thing of all - family!
Happy New Year!