Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Well, Here We Go

It was fun to go back and read last year's New Year's Day post. I don't want to repeat what I have already said about having long ago given up making resolutions. I'll just sum it up by saying resolutions make me feel claustrophobic in some strange way. The minute I make one I feel trapped by it. Resolutions have now been replaced by New Year Directions.

Here's a look at where I thought I was headed in 2012, along with updates.


  1. I would like to get even more words written in 2012 than I did in 2011. It would be a bonus if I could find a way for those words to generate an income. I continued to write in 2012, and established the routine of going to the coffee shop three mornings a week. I'm quite happy with where I ended up in terms of my writing. There will be a blog post with details sometime soon!
  2. I would like to improve my photography skills. I didn't end up doing anything towards improving my picture taking skills, but just this week have discovered PicMonkey for photo editing, so I hope that will add to the quality of the pictures that make it into my blog.
  3. I want to keep moving forward with my Chinese language program. I stalled on my Chinese program partway through the year. I'm not sure why. Well, that's not exactly true. Learning Chinese is difficult. I am contemplating trying a different language. 
  4. I hope to knit at least 6 of the sock patterns in Around the World in Knitted Socks. Where I went with this one surprised me, because I love every pair of socks in this book. When 2012 vanished into the history books last night I had knit exactly zero pairs of these gorgeous socks. I still have two pairs on the needles that I started in 2011 and didn't even manage to finish them! I have come to the conclusion that socks are my comfort knitting and I don't like doing complicated ones. That's not to say I won't make the occasional pair, but I don't think I will ever have a drawer full of fancy socks. Instead, the direction I did head in was to knit five of Kate Davies" patterns. 
  5. I want to learn at least one new knitting technique (Brioche? Double Knitting?). I learned several new techniques when I knit the Kate Davies tea cozy pattern, and I knit a hat using the Brioche stitch. Double knitting got shoved to the back burner, but I have purchased a Lucy Neatby instructional DVD on the technique. 
  6. I really, really really want to travel overseas again this year. At the beginning of 2012 I knew I would be taking another trip overseas, but I had no idea where I would be going. When Rebekah got the teaching job in South Korea my destination was set. It was a wonderful trip, in spite of the infamous accommodation.

There were also some surprise journeys last year. When 2012 rolled in I can tell you I had absolutely no intention of going to the gym on a regular basis. I also didn't know I would be getting a little white bundle of trouble named Fergus! I had no idea that Karsten and Diana would be living in Victoria by the end of 2012, or that Alexandra would be moved out and living on her own. And there were the few rough patches with Alexandra's health. (To be honest those felt more like forced marches than journeys down a path.) 

Here's where I hope to be going in 2013.
  1. I hope to get a book published this year. 
  2. I would like to go to Shetland, and also possibly Wales and Scotland. 
  3. I would love to move to a small cabin on a few acres somewhere, anywhere where there are trees. It is starting to feel like time to leave Kamloops.
  4. 2013 seems like a good year to become a grandparent.
  5.  I hope to knit several of the patterns out of the Colours of Shetland book by Kate Davies. I would like this to be the year I knit my souvenir yarn - the cashmere from my trip to China and the yarn from Scotland. After all, if I make it to Shetland I will need that room in my stash for all the Jamieson & Smith yarn I intend to come home with! I hope to knit at least a few of the fun things out of the Arne and Carlos books. And last but not least, I know several people having babies, so there will definitely be some baby knitting in 2013.
I think I should dub 2013 as The Year of Thinking Big! It will be interesting to see how it unfolds. Here's a look back at 2012. Of course there was some knitting.




My trip to Korea to visit Rebekah and Anton.




And, as always, the most important thing of all - family!




Happy New Year!

33 comments:

  1. I am totally on board with the year of thinking big! I'm planning some big life changes myself and everyone's new-year motivation is really helping me stay positive and not just freak out and hide from the scary stuff I want to do. Here's to a BIG 2013!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your 2013 is filled with good life changes and really big things!

      Delete
  2. Hi Kristie - I have been reading your blog for a little while, but have never commented before. When I read that you would like to visit Shetland, Scotland and Wales, I thought you might like to see this site: http://www.joycejamestours.com/

    I took the Shetland trip with Joyce two summers ago. It was absolutely amazing! best, Lise (in Ottawa)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lise! Thanks so much for commenting, and for the link. I can't wait to check it out! I might have some more questions for you as my plans progress (assuming they do progress!).

      Delete
  3. You had a very full year! I'm so glad I found your blog and I look forward to hearing how everything comes together for your plans for 2013!

    Happy New Year!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Likewise about finding your blog, Lisa! Meeting new people is the very best part of blogging. Happy New Year!

      Delete
  4. I love the concept of directions vs resolutions. I might have to adopt your approach next year. This year, I've already resolved to work towards a list of things. As always, it's wonderful to stop by and visit to see your pictures of knits and family. You have a gorgeous family and its obvious there's a lot of love in your lives! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you too Michelle! Yes, there is a lot of love in our lives and I am so very thankful for that. Of course, we also have our fair share of problems, just like any other family. :-)

      Delete
  5. Happy 2013 to you! sounds like some great plans there, your possible trip sounds awesome! can I come?? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to have you come with me! Happy 2013 to you!

      Delete
  6. Ruth (no longer in Ottawa)January 1, 2013 at 1:34 PM

    Me too, I want to come too! Ha ha. Actually, Wales is fantastic, I would go again in a flash if I could (been there twice). And I'd love to visit Shetland, too. Unfortunately our new house in the woods has left us "property rich, cash poor" so I'll have to experience your travels vicariously. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am jealous that you have been there twice! If I end up going I will try to blog about it so you can "come along" with me. Happy New Year!

      Delete
    2. I should also say a house in the woods sounds very appealing. That's why it is on this year's list of directions to be heading.

      Delete
  7. Its great to look back and see whats been achieved in a year and blogging actually makes it really easy. I hope you achieve your goals for 2013 in particular no.4, its so much fun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seeing how much you enjoy your grandchildren and all the wonderful knitting you do for them has been an inspiration. :-) Happy New Year!

      Delete
  8. Lovely post - I loved the recap and recap of the photos. You had a great 2012!

    I am behind you 100% - write a book/get it published in 2013!!!

    Happy New Yeark!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book thing is huge, and I plan to post more about this at a later date. Stay tuned! Happy New Year!

      Delete
  9. You've set the stage this year for a great 2013! Hope you have a wonderful BIG year. I see a possible move to the Island in your future.. .ya think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm...I'm not sure about moving to the Island. It solves one problem but creates others. I think it might take 2013 to figure out where we should be, so 2014 would have been a more realistic year to have put down for a potential move. It will be interesting to see what happens.

      Delete
  10. I love all your pictures and makes of 2012. I hope your wishes for 2013 are realised. Thank you so much for you comment.
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope 2013 brings you and your husband good health, and that he is able to get the proper medical treatment.

      Delete
  11. Getting a book published is on my secret 2013 list, in case it doesn't work out, no one has to know. You're much braver than me! Also, love the new layout!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you are successful with your book in 2013! It takes a lot of courage to come out of the writer's closet. Saying something here in the comments is one step out! And thanks for the compliment about the new layout. I decided it was time for a change. :-)

      Delete
  12. I think I tld you before that I am not keen on new years resolutions either, I would avoid celebrating it at all, if Chris would let me... but your directions sounds very interesting I can't wait to hear more of them... but didn't see any spinning in there... or a vistit to Hungary (which would be a perfect overseas estination for you ;-)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will spin again in 2013, I'm quite sure. In fact. I have the beautiful fibre you gave me sitting on my kitchen table right now ready to go. I can't find my bobbins though. I put them somewhere so Fergus wouldn't chew them up and can't remember where. The minute I find them your fibre is going on the wheel. :-)

      This most likely won't be the year I go to Europe, but if it is I have Hungary on my "to visit" list. It would be so much fun to get to meet in person!

      Delete
  13. I think you've made a great start on thinking big with your list! I wish you luck with each and every one of them and look forward to seeing your progress in this space. btw--I am the same way on resolutions and feeling claustrophobic...the quickest way to go do something is attach that word to it! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's strange how making resolutions motivates some people, but others it does the opposite. I like having directions instead because it isn't about success or failure. Happy New Year Rachel!

      Delete
  14. Some knitting! When would you have had time for the fancy socks anyway?

    Learning a new language every year is too much for the human brain (at least this human's brain). Since you just mastered Scottish in 2011, taking on Chinese on 2012 was overload. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for thinking I mastered Scots when I was there in 2011, but the sad truth is I could barely understand them when they were speaking to me in English, never mind their native tongue. :-)

      Delete
  15. I have enjoyed traveling your year with you, and look forward to another year of adventures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate, and I am all for some more adventures in 2013 but I hope they are only the good kind of adventures this year!

      Delete
  16. It really does looks like a great year ... here's to the adventures to come :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year! I look forward to reading your blog in 2013!

      Delete