Saturday, February 23, 2013

Fast 48 Hours

Our house is showing later this afternoon (more on that later) and since I used up the whole morning trying to fix my blog I am left with about fifteen minutes sandwiched in between to write this post. (I decided to change my blog header this morning. Big mistake.)

I got home from visiting my mom on Tuesday, and on Wednesday Rebekah arrived for a quick two day visit. It is a two week holiday in Korea, so she took advantage of the time off to come home for some Western immersion. It was great to see her, and when we said goodbye it was nice to think that in a couple of months her year long teaching adventure will be over and she will be returning to Canada for good. Well, maybe not for good, but at least for the foreseeable future.

I think the thing Rebekah was most looking forward to - aside from seeing Anton - was being able to use an oven. She doesn't have one at her apartment in Korea (they don't seem to be popular with Asians), and has really missed not being able to bake. So much so that she has perfected cake baking in her rice cooker! She wanted to make a Greek dish with lamb her first night here, and I was happy to sit and knit, watching someone else cook dinner for me. Here we are at The Art We Are, catching up on each other's news.




I am doing well so far with my Self-imposed Sock Club. Here are February's socks, done well ahead of time thanks to all the knitting I got in when visiting my mom.


Hand Maiden Casbah Blackberry


It's extremely hard to take pictures of one's own feet even though, as my older sons like to point out, I am not that far away from them.

10 comments:

  1. I love your new blog header, it always takes more time than you think though!
    Your socks are gorgeous, as are you daughters - sounds like a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for saying you like the blog header, Sarah. I'm not sure I feel the same way. I'll keep it for a week or so and see if it grows on me. I can't face doing another one right away anyway!

      Delete
  2. I think the change was worth the effort, that's a great picture. But I understand if you don't feel the same way. I intended to change my header with each season. But I had so much trouble with the first change I decided it would be fun to have my blog in a perpetual winter. The socks turned out great! Perhaps putting your feet up on a desk would make for an easier shot? But with my luck, the chair would tip over backwards just as I pressed the button.

    Baking in a rice cooker??? Very clever. Rebekah is a very nice girl--she was one of my very first blog friends when I was still having trouble getting started. I hope the two days didn't pass too quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Perpetual winter for a blog header is fine if you don't live in Canada.

      I will try to remember to put my feet up for my March sock photo. If I fall over backwards and get hurt I want you to know I'll be suing you for the suggestion. :-)

      Delete
  3. Isn't it lovely when children return home for a while. So glad you enjoyed your time together. I like your new header. I've been wanting to change things on my blog like adding more pictures to my side bar but there never seems to be enough time!
    Patricia x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very nice when grown children come home for a visit, but the time always seems to go by too quickly. Hopefully once she returns from Korea permanently we will be able to get in a longer visit.

      I thought about putting in the side bar pictures for at least a year before I finally got around to actually doing it. You are not alone!

      Delete
  4. Ahh, the beauty of Hand Maiden yarn revealed, I must add, beautifully in your socks. Devilishly hard to capture a picture of but devilishly attractive to your feet!

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hand Maiden is amazing yarn, and the Casbah has a bit of cashmere in it, so it is extremely soft and squishy. Have you tried knitting with Casbah? Oh, another thing about Hand Maiden is it is a Canadian dyer.

      Delete
  5. So glad you got to spend some time with Rebeka and that she was able to make a trip back to Canada. I bet she was excited to actually 'cook'! I feel that way when I come out of the field!

    Very pretty socks and impressive that you are so ahead of schedule! You seem to always meet your challenges though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My blog might indicate a higher success rate with challenges than is reality. I think there might be a "reporting error" that needs to be factored in. :-)

      Delete