Sunday, March 31, 2013

Easter Hunt

When we were kids my parents would hide Easter baskets for each of us. They would be filled with chocolate eggs, candy nests, those brightly coloured eggs that looked so pretty but tasted so bad, and usually a small toy. The hunt that sticks out the most in my mind is the year they hid my basket in our clothes dryer. It took me forever to find it! This wouldn't be so embarrassing if it wasn't for the fact that I was a teenager when this occurred.

Well, this year I decided it was time for another Easter hunt. I had an advantage over the year my basket was hidden in the dryer. This time I knew exactly where to look. That didn't necessarily make things easy, since the item was located in the very back of our storage room. But I was a woman on a mission.


From the outside it looks like a rather dull cedar chest. But when you open it up, it magically transforms into a treasure chest filled with pieces of Hammond family history.



There was something in particular I was searching for, packed away safely in a plastic bag, where no harm could come to it.


I pulled it out, hoping the combination of the cedar chest and plastic bag had worked in keeping the items safe. They had.


I was anxious to go upstairs and look at my find in the light of the day. I wasn't disappointed. It was every bit as beautiful as I remembered. Perfect stitches lovingly knit over 30 years ago by Jay's mom. A gift for our first-born child.


It is time (finally!) to pass this on to its original recipient. Yes, Karsten and Diana are expecting their first child!! The baby is due at the end of July. When I asked Karsten if they had a name picked out he told me he thought they would just wait and see what Kate and Will named their baby, and give their baby the same name. I'm pretty sure it was a joke.


Perhaps this explains the reason I am so anxious to move. Happy Easter!

21 comments:

  1. AH, CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU ALL!!!! Kristie, that's such joyous news, and I share your happiness. And how wonderful to have a family treasure to share and pass along.

    Gosh, this post just made me day. I'll be smiling for a very long time. I send you a big smile and hug. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome....congratulations to everyone!! Hugs!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. An amazing announcement...congratulations! So exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY!! Congratulations, that is incredibly exciting news for your family, and how wonderful to have a well preserved piece of knitting for bubs already.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations!!! How exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Many congratulations Kristie, wonderful news.
    Patricia x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, how wonderful! Many, many congratulations to the parents and the grandparents to be :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. How wonderful to be able to pass on such a lovely and personal piece of family history. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations ! You are going to be a grandmother, you knew where the set was, you found it, and it is in perfect condition! Wins all around.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations Grandma! How wonderful to be able to pass this down to the next generation.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What wonderful news!!!! Congratulations!!! Oh my gosh, not only do you have heirlooms to pass on, but new ones to knit!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations! That pastel yellow made a lovely Easter image, but it will be welcome in July too!
    -- stashdragon

    ReplyDelete
  13. What wonderful news congratulations! Your family chest looks so full of treasures and memories, I hope a buyer soon appears for you and enables you to move on to pastures new.
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  14. The baby knitting is going to be excellent indeed! Congratulations!
    LisaRR

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think this is the first year we DIDN'T have an Easter egg hunt..crazy, hey? I did buy chocolate, though. Mini Toblerone bars.. nobody complained. :)

    What a precious gift to give your son and his wife! Congratulations again, Kristie!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such lovely news - Congratulations all around! Mel x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations to all of you! That's so wonderful. Summer is a lovely time to have a baby.

    ReplyDelete