Friday, March 8, 2013

Got It Covered

One of my birthday presents last month was a new Kindle. I bought my first Kindle almost two years ago, and it was the Kindle 3 with keyboard model. I am not into upgrading every piece of technology I own just for the sake of having the "latest and greatest." However, in this case the Paperwhite model had enough new features to make it seem worth purchasing, in spite of the fact I already owned a perfectly good Kindle.

While my old Kindle wasn't huge or cumbersome, the smaller size of the Paperwhite was very appealing, especially for when I travel. I apologize for the pictures of the Kindles in their cases, but it isn't straightforward to remove them. Besides, since I always have the case on my Kindle it seems a fair comparison. (My old Kindle is in the blue cover, the new one is in the purple cover.)





It might not be apparent from the pictures, but even though the Paperwhite is smaller overall than my older model Kindle, the actual screen size is the same.


Paperwhite on the left, Kindle 3 on the right

The older cover has a pop-up light in the upper right-hand corner, but the Kindle itself doesn't have a light. The Paperwhite has a built-in light. You are able to control the brightness or turn it off completely if you don't need it. This is one of my favourite features! Also, the battery is much better on the newer Kindle. I use mine every day and so far I have only had to charge it once since the middle of February.

I like the new keyboard, which is similar to what you have on a smart phone or iPad. It is much easier to use than those itty bitty little dots on the older model.


It turns out one of the features I like the best is one I didn't realize it had before I got it. My biggest complaint about reading on the Kindle has been that I often can't tell you the name of the book I am reading. I never realized how much a book cover matters until I started using an e-reader. Without seeing the title, author and cover art of the book each time I interact with it, that information just doesn't stick in my head. (This might not be a problem for those of you with better minds than mine. And I am sure one of those better minds is going to tell me there was a way to set my old Kindle so I could see this information every time I used it.)

Up above in the picture with the two Kindles side by side and the covers opened, in each of them you are looking at the home screens displaying my collections. Even though it is the same information, it is in a completely different format. The biggest difference though is when you go to one of the collections. On the old Kindle it would just have a list of the names of the books. In the Paperwhite when I tap on the collection it brings up the book covers, as you can see in the picture on the right. This is another one of my favourite features! Now if you ask me what I am reading there's a fairly good chance I will be able to answer the question.




My final favourite feature is the cover. It works much like the cover to my iPad. When I open it up the Kindle automatically comes on. There is one downside to this feature though. The cover doesn't have anything to keep it closed, which means when I shove it into my backpack it is in danger of coming open and running down the battery or getting the screen scratched. So I decided my new Kindle needed a cozy. Someone on Ravelry suggested a simple cable pattern, and this is what I came up with. Details here.




As you can see from the stack sitting under my Kindle, I am a two-timer when it comes to reading. I enjoy both my Kindle and real, old-fashioned, "hold in your hands and turn the pages" books. I had hoped when I started using an e-reader a couple years ago that the book acquisition problem would be halted in its tracks. Clearly, old habits are hard to break.

16 comments:

  1. I like my e-reader...but some books still need to be bought in hard copy........I am getting better though,..I buy all my magazines digitally now......less recycled paper that way.

    Great cosy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't had a paper subscription to a magazine for a long time. I would much rather look at them on my iPad Kindle app. Although I do have to say there have been a couple of magazines that weren't laid out nicely for viewing on the iPad. The majority of my books are on Kindle now, but you are right. Some books still need to be bought in hard copy.

      Delete
  2. Love the cover but I'm still a proper book person, I just wish I had the time to read more of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and my oldest daughter are in complete agreement about reading proper books. This year while she has been in Korea she has had to make use of a Kindle, but I doubt it will see much action once she returns to Canada. And I'm with you on the time thing. I used to get tons more reading done than I do now. Too many books, not enough time...

      Delete
  3. I love my e-reader and my iPad and actually prefer it to proper books. I do most of my reading at night so I like not having to have a light on - this is especially agreeable to my husband who is trying to sleep! I've even gotten to the point where I don't want any paper knitting books, magazines, or patterns. I use my Knit Companion app almost constantly. I never thought I'd give up paper books, but I've jumped into digital media with both feet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What e-reader do you have, Lisa? I'm curious about the Knit Companion app, and what you do with it. I use GoodReader for my patterns.

      Delete
    2. I have a Kindle 2 that still works great and I use it when I read in the daytime and outside. At night I use my Kindle app on my iPad.

      I use my Knit Companion all the time, for every pattern I knit. It keeps track of where I'm at for as many patterns as I'm working on and has four separate counters for each project. It works with text instructions as well as charts. I just open my pdf patterns in KC and go through a few simple setup steps and knit away. :) I'd be happy to send you some screen shots if you want. I'm knitwhimsydotcom on Ravelry if you want to look me up!

      Delete
  4. Wow, based on the difference in battery life, the lighting and getting a touch screen, I'm surprised the price difference is so small between the Paperwhite and the regular Kindle. It's more than worth the difference. With my fingers, I would have no chance of operating the buttons on the older model. I would need a stylus to be able to press one button at a time.

    Two-timing the Kindle (not to mention getting a newer model) is understandable. There's something special about holding a real book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you have an e-reader, Rick? And you are right about it being surprising that the price difference isn't bigger. But that is the way technology seems to work. The more advanced thing comes out, but at a more affordable price. I think the original Kindles were around $300s.

      Delete
  5. I've still got my old Kindle 2 and have been noticing the battery life declining significantly in recent months. I know I'll need to upgrade to the Paperwhite soon, but I have an emotional attachment to my trusty K2. But now that you've shown me some of the awesome features of the PW though, it may be easier for me to move on.

    And like you, I still buy some books in print too. Gotta have some of them in the house or it just won't seem like home! ~Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was fairly attached to my Kindle 3 too. I went back and forth about upgrading. I had noticed my old Kindle seemed to be getting slow in responsiveness and I was finding that to be frustrating though. I think you would find a huge difference between the 2 and the PW.

      Delete
  6. I'm not a big fan of e-readers, but I love your cover!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Due to bulging bookshelves an e-reader became a need more than a want in my life. :-)

      Delete
    2. Yeah, I've never been a big spender on books - I've worn out more than one library card though!

      Delete
  7. I have the same sort of visual memory, I think. I may look at the paper white one of these days. Right now I'm wondering if I should give up the iPad for a MacBook air. Or iPad mini. Important issues, I know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My son-in-law has a Macbook Air and he really likes it. I love both my iPad and my Paperwhite. I do almost all of my reading on the Paperwhite, but use the Kindle app on the iPad for things like knitting books and cookbooks. One of the advantages of the paperwhite is the long battery life. My one complaint about the iPad is that the battery needs to be charged almost every day. It is a tough choice. Have you tried out a mini yet?

      Delete