Monday, April 29, 2013

Misc. Monday

These are awesome. It used to be the only kind of glow-in-the-dark yarn you could buy was cheap acrylic. Now it is going to be possible to buy a 100% wool version. I just need to convince my friends with an acreage that they would really like some of these sprinkled over their property.

My cousin Kath and I have a Big Trip planned for this coming September. Our first stop will be in the Cotswolds, where we plan to spend a couple days recovering from jet lag. Then we are heading to Wales, where we will be doing a six day walk along the coastal path in Pembrokeshire. We will finish the trip in Shetland. I was very disappointed when I read yesterday that Prince William is leaving the RAF this summer. If I fall off a cliff in Wales I had been hoping he would be the one to come to my rescue.

We had a lovely visit with Rebekah last week. On Friday the two of us drove out to visit my friends, and, hopefully, future glow-in-the-dark sheep owners in Sorrento (BC, not Italy). Rebekah, Cindy and I drove out to nearby Herald Park and walked up to Margaret Falls.




Yesterday while the realtor was showing the house I drove over to the neighbourhood park. While I was sitting in my car, knitting and listening to a podcast, a lady drove up and parked next to me. She opened the back of her vehicle and let her two spaniels out to play. One of them ran about 50 meters away from the lady and she totally lost it with the dog. She stood there screaming at it to come back, then ran at it, still screaming and waving her arms. The dog was just running back and forth. It wasn't in danger. It wasn't even that far away from her.

What happened next took my breath away. She grabbed the dog and shook it. Hard. Repeatedly. Then she jammed the dog down onto the ground with its face shoved into the grass and held it there for at least five minutes. I kept thinking that any minute she would let it up, but no, she continued to discipline it. When she finally did let it up she took it back to the car and locked the poor thing in, then went and played with her other dog. Oh, and that car? It had an ad painted on the back window with the name and phone number for her dog grooming business.

Speaking of dogs, Fergus and Jenny went missing this morning. I suddenly realized they weren't anywhere to be seen. This gave me the same feeling I used to have when my children were young and it suddenly got quiet. In this case, it turns out they weren't up to any mischief. They had found a patch of sunshine in one of the upstairs bedrooms, and were soaking up some rays.




The tree next to The Art We Are has been hit by yarn bombers.




When I ordered my usual green tea this morning I was handed a lion. When my tea arrived the lion was taken away. Strange.



25 comments:

  1. Glow in the dark wool is an awesome thought. Just don't have any rack of lamb from those sheep. o.O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Yeah, I'm not even sure wearing it would be safe, but eating it would definitely be taking a risk. Still, the thought of glow-in-the-dark wool holds a certain appeal.

      Delete
    2. Not enough mint jelly in the world. . .

      Delete
  2. Stay far away from that dog groomer! Yikes, that's terrible. I don't understand why people are mean to animals. So sad. Fergus and Jenny's shenanigans made me laugh! They look so cute lying there together. Aww. Your planned trip sounds wonderful! Too bad about not getting the chance to be rescued by William, though. He'll be on diaper duty by then anyway. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries. We won't be going anywhere near that groomer!

      And yes, William will have more important things to do than rescue clumsy tourists once the baby arrives. :-)

      Delete
  3. I'm not so sure about the glow in the dark sheep. It just seems so... wrong. Speaking of wrong, that woman ought to be shaken and left in the car for behaving the way she did. I couldn't imagine treating my fury babes that way. :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems wrong, but also intriguing. Think of the possibilities for finding missing socks. You would just have to wait for it to get dark, then go looking. :-)

      Delete
  4. I would have been taking pix and then emailing them to her company w/ a warning that her behavior is on record.

    Nice trip planned for this fall wish I could sneak in a pocket and go along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right of course. I had my iPhone with me and could have taken a video of the whole thing. It didn't even occur to me at the time. I just sat there, shocked.

      Have you been to Shetland, Lynne? I'm sure you can guess where our first stop will be!

      Delete
    2. Yes indeed, twice. Loverly place and on my bucket list to do again.

      Delete
  5. I checked the date when I read that about the sheep, Kristie, just in case it was April 1st. :-) You will be passing very close to me on your September trip as my mother-in-law lives in the Cotswolds and we're in Mid-Wales. Shetland is on my must-visit list.

    As for the dog woman, some people don't deserve to have animals. Grrr!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it sounds like a made-up story but these sheep do actually exist. :-)

      We will be very close to you! I am so excited to see Wales!

      Delete
  6. Aww that poor doggy, I guess you know where not to get your doggies groomed :( I laughed at the quiet children/dogs, so familiar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fergus will not be seeing that groomer EVER! It is funny how many crossovers there are between children and dogs. :-)

      Delete
  7. My cats always go searching for sun spots as well :)

    Love random and misc. posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only way our poor cat gets a sun spot is if there is more than one. Fergus and Jenny aren't good about sharing!

      Delete
  8. Glow in the dark sheep? Awesome! Mean dog groomer? Definitely NOT awesome. Trip to Wales? Can I go too? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see future business potential with those glow-in-the-dark sheep. :-)

      Delete
  9. I think I might have had a talk with that woman....and yes, a phone camera is always handy for documenting things.....

    Love the sunny spot photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are braver than me. She was pretty scary looking. But yes, I could have used my phone camera and she would never have known.

      Delete
  10. Just catching up here ...

    Fergus and Jenny look like butter wouldn't melt in that pic!

    That woman with the spaniel ... sounds like a case of too much Cesar Millan to me. So sad.

    Still can't quite believe you're coming to Wales and I get to meet you in person :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was Cesar Millan on steroids. :-(

      Meeting in person will be great. You just need to hope I don't fall off a cliff or all of our plans will be ruined, especially since Prince William won't be there to rescue me. Ha!

      Delete
  11. I am so jealous of your planned trip! I'm hope you will have a wonderful time and I look forward to hearing of your adventures. Wow, what a thing what that crazy lady and her dog. My philosophy on how to respond to people who are abusing children, dogs, other humans, anything, is to do the exact same thing to the abuser that they are doing the abusee. Of course, this would end me up in jail. Sometimes I truly do wish that there was a huge ad campaign in the English speaking world about this matter. I live in a major city and take public transportation. You probably won't believe some of the things I've seen. Well, enough of dwelling on the negative. I hope your house selling goes well. Best - Hester

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your planned trip sounds wonderful you are doing so much too! It must have been quite distressing seeing how that poor dog was treated. Fergus and Jenny found a wonderful place to enjoy the sun.
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, I'm so far behind on all my friends' blogs because I've got nothing but birds on the brain...sorry, but I'm catching up.

    Your trip sounds wonderful, can't wait to read all about it!

    As for that lady in the park? Oh man, somebody would have had to restrain me. Disgusting.

    ReplyDelete