Thursday, April 11, 2013

Quick Post

Sorry about the blog silence. I am down in the States for a few days visiting my mom. The past two days have included trips to various sewing and yarn stores where I have been searching for the perfect buttons to finish off an otherwise completed baby sweater, and for just the right yarn to start a special project (more on that in my next post).

My mom has been a good sport. She is not a knitter, and she is definitely not a seamstress (she saves clothes that need buttons sewed back on for me to take care of when I come for visits). Going to two fabric stores in two days set a new record for her.

Yesterday she made the mistake of asking me how they make superwash wool. I was enthusiastically explaining how wool has little barb-like bits sticking out, and when they are agitated they lock together and that they remove those bits to make superwash wool. It was when I started in on how they used to use a chemical to make the wool superwash that I noticed her eyes were glazing over.

My mom doesn't understand my knitting, but I have to say there are a few things about my mom I don't understand either. Topping the list would be how she can have a fridge that is so clean and organized the fruit is lined up in rows. When I went to put some leftovers in it tonight it looked so neat I hated to disturb things. This would never be a feeling I would get opening my refrigerator!




18 comments:

  1. OK that picture made me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't line my fruit up in rows but I do put it neatly on a plate! lol Though I used to sew I don't anymore because I have talented daughters who can do it for me. Oh my....are we reversals? Linda McG.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol at the apples! Sounds like you are having a nice time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of the things I'm glad I learned when I was a child was how to sew on buttons. Then I learned general sewing at school. I have always mended things rather than throw them out. Yesterday I spent 30 minutes sewing holes in my favourite shopping bag and it will probably last another few years. Yay for sewing skills.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey you...yes you! At the back, yes you! Get back into line.

    This is too funny......

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yup the fridge is definitely weirder than sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So close and yet so far! Have a nice visit with your mom!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Are you sure the fruit didn't line itself up? I mean stuff happens in my fridge when I'm not looking ... whole pizza's disappear, full cartons of milk are suddenly almost empty, pots of yoghurt make their way to the back of the shelf and hide until they're past their best ... I could go on but you get my drift.

    Thinking about it my knitting can't be trusted either ... I swear my WIPs are breeding!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never seen such a clean refrigerator in my life! It deserves a prize at the county fair. . .
    --stashdragon

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wish my fridge looked that organised!
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bless your mom! I can never find anything in our fridge. My wife doesn't believe there is such a thing as a "place" for something. Not even the milk (or her car keys). That's how we ended up with 5 open mustard bottles in our fridge a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  12. AHHAHA! You're mom is a good sport. I have the same reaction she has to conversations about wool when my husband starts-in on engineering calculations, etc... :-D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Even when my fridge is at its neatest, I've never lined my fruit up. Right now I do have all my beer and seltzer bottles stacked in tidy little pyramids, though.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooohhh...what a thing of beauty! You know, your mom could make a killing cleaning and organizing refrigerators. I would SO pay someone to make my fridge look like that, and in its current state, it would have to be a pretty penny! :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, that's the most organized refrigerator ever.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hmm! My fridge certainly doesn't look that organised either! Enjoy your trip! Ros

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love it, I like the fact she has fruit and booze on the same shelf!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Don't you just love that picture of the fridge? (Mine is so far from looking like that, like your house is from mine)... I so envy you for being able to spend time with your mom... I often wonder what mine, a great knitter herself, would think of me nowadays...

    ReplyDelete