Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Three In Three

I arrived back in Kamloops Saturday evening. I am always very relieved to pull into my driveway after the long drive back from the US, but never more than this time due to the unwelcome passenger in my vehicle.

On the trip south last Tuesday I was driving along, listening to an Audible book, minding my own business when suddenly a spider appeared on the windshield directly in front of me. My first reaction was that it had better be on the outside of the window. My second was one of alarm when I realized I was looking at the top of the spider, which meant it had to be on the inside. Not good. Especially since there wasn't any place to quickly pull off to the side of the road and deal with it.

Ten very long minutes later I was able to pull over, but by this time the spider had vanished. I looked everywhere, but it was not to be found. Not good.

This was only about two hours into an eight hour drive, so for the next six hours I was sure I could feel the spider crawling up my leg. Or down my neck. Or across my head. Or on my shoulder. Not good.

I sort of forgot about the spider while I was at my mom's, until Friday when we hopped in the car to drive up to my cousin Kath's for a visit. Just as I was getting ready to enter the freeway the spider appeared. On my steering wheel, crawling with considerable speed towards my right hand. Not good. I brushed it off the steering wheel and it fell on my leg. My mom swatted at it and it then fell to the floor. That is the last time I saw it. But I know it is still there, lurking under my seat. Or on my visor. Or under the floor mat. Or in the cup holder. Not good.

I really had intended to write about the spider on the weekend, but something else has been consuming my time for the past three days. A very dear friend is going through a rough time, and she asked me if I could knit her a hat. I was so happy to be able to do something, anything, to make her feel better that I cast on hat #1 as soon as I got home from Spokane. My friend described a style of headband she thought would be nice, one with a wide front. As she was describing it I knew immediately what pattern I would use. Calorimetry!





She said she would like something in yellow. I found this Madelinetosh yarn when I was in Spokane, and knit it into this Hurricane Hat. I think it looks very bright and cheerful. I hope she thinks so too.




While I was shopping for the yellow yarn I spotted some Spud and Chloe Outer in this beautiful shade of blue. I grabbed a couple of skeins, then went on a pattern search. The New Quick and Easy Ribbed Hat pattern was a perfect match.




Three hats knit in three days.



Or in the middle of a hat...

33 comments:

  1. What lovely hats, and lovely gifts for your friend. EEEK to the spider! I don't mind them in general, but scuttling quickly in my direction is not good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's just how I am with spiders. I don't mind them in general, but like to keep my distance. We have black widow and brown recluse spiders where I live. Both are poisonous. At least I got a good enough look at my "passenger" to know it isn't one of those kind!

      Delete
  2. D: spider!

    D: D: D:

    I love the pictures of your hats, but now I can only think of spiders hiding in hats! D:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I promise my hats are spider-free. :-)

      Delete
  3. Eeek, spider!! That would have made me nuts. Today after birding in the park I got in the car and reached over to get something on the passenger seat and almost had a heart attack when I saw a huge stink bug sitting there looking at me. The creepy crawlies give me the creeps when they pop up in unexpected places like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have stink bugs here, too. They are disgusting. And yes, it's when creepy crawlies suddenly appear that is the worst. We have a family of black widow spiders that live just outside our front door. I don't like them, but have become so used to seeing them that I no longer recoil in horror. :-)

      Delete
  4. Ugh, I hate it when the spider or bug disappears on you in the vehicle! I used to get the worst surprises from stink bugs after visiting mom and dad, like landing on my neck etc. Those hats are gorgeous! I need to make one. I'm sure they will give your friend some comfort and cheer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thing about a stink bug landing on you is you have to fight off your first instinct, which is to brush it off. At least if you don't want to end up smelling kind of funky for the next few days! :-)

      Delete
  5. Great hats/bands, loving the blue of the headband. Not too keen on spiders myself, lets hope your Mum got it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that blue pretty? My friend has blue eyes, so i think it will look very nice on her.

      I want to believe my mom got it, but there was no sign of a dead spider on the floor of the car, which is where it would have landed when she brushed it off my leg. I will hang onto the thought she might have mortally wounded it though, and it crawled off to breath its last under the floor mat. :-)

      Delete
  6. Spiders does not bother me, though I would not kill them, only urge them outside... What a great friend you are. I hope she feels better now, if not only for all those lovely hats and headbands, but because she has a friend like you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are much kinder than I am regarding spiders! And thanks for the good wishes for my friend.

      I was thinking about emailing you to see if everything is okay with you. You haven't had a blog post in quite awhile and I was getting worried!

      Delete
  7. I hope things turn around soon for your friend--and that the spider finds a new home (outside).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the spider needs to be released into the wild. Of course, that would mean being able to find it first.

      I hope you make a speedy recovery from your recent health events. You might need to wear a medic alert bracelet saying you are allergic to antibiotics.

      Delete
  8. hahahahaaaa, what a brilliant post, just reading it made me shiver... I HATE spiders!!
    I was once taking an ante natal class to a reasonably large group when one of the ladies kindly pointed out that there was a large spider under my chair. I immediately turned inro an hysterical bonkers woman, not the calm reassuring midwife I was trying to portray.... very embarrassing!!

    Hats are great!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a hilarious story! I'm sure the group of pregnant women all found it to be quite funny as they watched you going bonkers. :-)

      Delete
  9. *SHUDDER* I am not a fan of creepy crawly little things. I would have been crying in the car and finding it difficult to focus on the road in front of me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how I am with snakes! I probably would have jumped out of the vehicle while driving had it been one.

      Delete
  10. Poor you have adventures with the spider. My daughter hates them too she found saw one in our car last week but luckily we will still in the drive and I removed it swiftly. I'm sure your dear friend will love her hat.
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really hoping she will enjoy the hats. I tried to make ones that I knew would suit her. And I'm glad you were able to remove your spider. Would you like to come do the same at my house please? :-)

      Delete
  11. Yuck. I'm not a big fan of spiders either. Little wee ones aren't so bad, but the bigger they get the more I dislike them.
    And your hats are wonderful! I have no doubt your friend will adore the hat you made her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am pretty sure she will like them. And all three have been knit with very soft wool, so should feel soft and comfortable.

      And yes, the bigger the spider the creepier it seems.

      Delete
  12. I admire your bravery. I think I'd have had to refuse to drive any further until I had the car fumigated... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew it wasn't poisonous, so wasn't too worried. Had it been a black widow or brown recluse I wouldn't have gotten back in the car!

      Delete
  13. Kristie,

    I love all the hats, but if I have to vote for an award, it will be the yellow Hurricane hat! Don't worry about spiders much although I don't like them around me. At least, I never heard anyone died from a spider's bite. Do they bite? Hmm, actually I don't know if they do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keiko! My friend had asked for something yellow, so I think the Hurricane hat will be her favourite too.

      Yes, some spiders bite. We have two poisonous kinds where I live - black widows and brown recluses. Their bites aren't lethal, but they can be nasty.

      Delete
  14. 3 hats, in 3 days, awesome! The yellow on is so nice! As for the spiders, I don't mind them as long as they don't bite. I can share my space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I can share my space with them too, but I need a bit more space than my car. :-)

      Delete
  15. I really like that calorimetry hat! And the yellow yarn is a beautiful color. Eww on the elusive spider... that would drive me crazy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! When my friend described the kind of headband she wanted I remembered that Maureen had knit a Calorimetry for Hannah. At least my passenger was a spider and not a tick!

      Delete
  16. Eeeek! A spider in the car! That would have me stopping and spring-cleaning before driving any further. You're obviously made of much sterner stuff than I am. :-)

    Those hats are great and I'm impressed that you finished three in as many days. I'm more of a sock-knitter myself and it's ages since I knitted a hat.... Now off to explore some more of your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a sock knitter too! I don't make hats often enough to feel confident that they will turn out right. I'm hoping these will fit!

      Delete
  17. Gorgeous hats - what a lovely friend you are. Love that quote at the end :-)

    ReplyDelete