Wednesday, May 22, 2013

An Offer

I have gone back and forth about this all weekend. Do I say something, or should I wait? In the end I have decided to go ahead and cautiously announce that we have had an offer on our house. It all happened very fast, as these things have a tendency to do.

Saturday afternoon we went through the by now all too familiar routine of getting the house ready to show. (Poor Fergus and Jenny are going to spend the rest of their doggy lives thinking that every time we get the vacuum cleaner out it means they need to get in their crates because they are going for a ride in the car.) There wasn't anything that indicated this showing was any different than the other fourteen that have taken place since we put the house on the market, other than we thought they might have looked a bit longer than most. Yes, we spy.

Then Saturday night the phone rang, and it was our realtor saying there was an offer. I have to confess I had all but given up hope that the house was going to sell, so I spent the first couple minutes of the call not even hearing what she said due to the shock. So here's the thing. The reason I'm saying I am cautiously announcing the offer is because it isn't a done deal.

It is still subject to the house passing an inspection. Now the house is only ten years old, and other than the appliance curse has no problems that we know of. But now I find myself worrying about problems we might not know about. What if the house inspector finds termites? Or a leak we aren't aware of, and because we aren't aware of it, it has eaten away part of a wall? Or worse, a dead body buried under the storage room? (Okay, maybe the last one isn't all that realistic. I just finished reading a murder mystery last night.)

It is also subject to the buyer getting financing. Now I would like to assume that people who have driven all the way from Alberta to look for a house in Kamloops wouldn't waste their time by making an offer on a house they can't afford. But life has taught me that making assumptions has a way of getting a person in trouble.

Not one to turn away a good opportunity to worry, this morning I was met with a new one to add to my list. In the early hours as I headed out to the gym I glanced over at the neighbours and could not believe it. Now their house is up for sale! My immediate thought was oh no, the people who put the offer on our house are going to find out the one next door is for sale and want it instead. That thought followed me to the gym, and hasn't let go while I am here at the coffee shop writing this post. The subject removal date for the buyers is May 30, which gives me over a week to remain in a state of paranoia.

Knitting is such a great way to counter worry. So, as you can probably imagine, there's been a fair amount of knitting going on. This cute little hat was knit for a friend's baby, born earlier this month. Serendipity, knit with Spud & Chloe Outer. Details here.




I think this next week has the potential to set an all-time record for knitting production.


19 comments:

  1. fingers crossed!!! i'll carry hope with you that it works and the buyers come all the way through. that's such hopeful news, kristie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not to worry so much if it is meant to be it all will go well. But I will cross Me fingers for extra luck for you all.. The wee baby hat is very adorable. Hugs Judy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will keep my fingers crossed for you and hope it all goes through OK it is always a difficult time as there can be so much uncertainty.
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ruth (no longer in Ottawa)May 22, 2013 at 12:10 PM

    Here's another set of crossed fingers for you - you are so right about not assuming anything until all the papers are signed! Having gone through all this just a year ago, I know exactly how you are feeling this week. May the real estate gods smile on you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck! I understand the nervousness but I'm sure you'll be okay. I hope everything just falls into place with the process. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keeping everything crossed for you, buying and selling is a nightmare all over the world, I just wish there was an easier process. Cute hat

    ReplyDelete
  7. In our family there is this tradition not to talk about "good-things-that-most-probably-will/might-happen-but-is-not-a-done-deal-yet" kind of things until it is signed and sealed... don't ask me why, we just don't...
    Now I will cross my fingers and toes for you.
    Try not to worry about it, it will happen when it supposed to.

    ReplyDelete
  8. All the best with the house offer, I will keep my fingers crossed for you that they find nothing unexpected in their inspection. Totally normal to worry about these things though! CUTE hat!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh dear Kristie! with whom will I knit at Starbucks the next time I drive north to visit family in Kamloops? Are you relocating far away?

    Shirley in WA (shirleysnh2004 on Ravelry)

    PS: older 21yo ds has graduated UBCO & is fighting wildfires (out of Vernon) in BC for the summer. Plse pm me on Ravelry.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, this is great news! But I totally understand your worry. I'd be chomping at my nails until the fat lady sings. Cute hat! I can imagine it framing a cute little baby face. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. So exciting Kristie! Nothing worse than the wait though. They obviously want your house so it would have to be really really bad for them to back out........crossing my fingers for you too. Mel x

    ReplyDelete
  12. All the best for a firm deal Kristie......,you just have to believe.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fingers and toes crossed that everything goes off without a hitch! The pom pom on top of that little hat has me smiling from ear to ear! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, that's great news, Kristie, though I can understand why you're not yet counting on it. I do hope it goes through quickly and smoothly (says she, having just googled 'subject removal date' and had a quick lesson on Canadian property law.

    I just love the baby hat - oh, for a baby to knit for. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. You know I have all my fingers crossed for you that all goes according to plan x

    Cute hat :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. And have you found a house to move to? Did you already share this and I have missed it somehow?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sending good luck your way! I know how stressful the buying and selling process is.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I hope things are progressing on the offer--and don't worry about the body, inspectors almost never find them. :)

    About the financing, it seems most buyers start out with a realistic budget and their agents immediately begin manipulating them to go higher. They show a few crappy houses that are within budget and then some great houses that are "just a little" more expensive.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete