In the afternoon I had taken the dry sheets off the clothesline and was making up the beds in the guest/stash room. Fergus came up to me and bumped me with his nose, which is a rather endearing trait he has. It means he wants immediate attention. Unfortunately this time he got more than he bargained for. As soon as his nose came into contact with me he got quite a big static shock and yelped like he had been mortally wounded. Then he spent the next fifteen minutes looking at me in a way that made me feel terribly guilty.
Later in the afternoon I was sitting at the kitchen table working on something. When I got up from the table I didn't notice Jenny, who was at my feet. I stepped directly on her tail and there was a repeat performance of the earlier yelping/guilt episode, just with a different dog.
Not long after the dog tail incident the Internet quit working. Our router can be finicky, and sometimes needs to be unplugged then plugged back in again to kick start it. I followed the usual procedure with no luck. Totally ignoring Einstein's observations about insanity, I tried this repeatedly for the rest of the evening but never did manage to get the Internet up and running. Thankfully I could still connect on my iPad through the 3G network, so wasn't totally lost. Which makes me think Einstein should have come up with a witty saying about addiction.
The top award for the House Gremlins' activity goes to the final entry for the day. I was almost asleep when a piercing sound came from the hallway just outside the bedroom. It was the smoke detector. However, there was no smoke. That didn't seem to matter. It kept up its shrill noise for a good three minutes. Worse than the noise was the reaction of the dogs. (They hate the smoke detector, and when I accidentally set it off when cooking they get so scared they end up peeing on the floor.)
It stopped on its own, which was good since I had no idea how to intervene. I was almost asleep again, and, you guessed it, the alarm sounded again. The first time it happened I was scared. This time I was mad. I headed downstairs and met David, who didn't look any too happy either, coming upstairs. You see, our alarms are hard-wired in, and if one goes off they all go off. We agreed on three things.
- There wasn't a fire.
- We had no idea what was wrong.
- We had no clue how to fix it.
The culprit is most likely one of two things. Dust or spiders. Well, it's not like we live in a dust-free house. We don't. But the alarms are in the ceiling. Our dust lives down at our level. Which can only mean one thing. A spider has crawled into one of the detectors. And I think I know which spider it is. The one I wrote about in this post hasn't been spotted in my car since I returned. Which means it probably made its way into our house by hiding in one of the bags I brought in from the car.
And just for the record, here's my April Self-Imposed Sock of the Month club instalment, finished on the evening of April 30.
|Biscotte & Cie Felix, colourway Princese et 7 mailes|