Thursday, May 9, 2013

Last But Not Least

Wednesday was the last full day we had with our friends from across the pond. Since they had a long drive ahead of them the next day (they are going on to Jasper and Banff) we decided to stay a little closer to home. What we as Canadians think of as a short jaunt, the English consider an epic adventure, so I thought they might not appreciate spending another day driving for several hours to sightsee. And, after all, there are many beautiful places just minutes out our front door. (Those would be Canadian minutes, not English!)

Paul Lake is only about 45 minutes from our house. I love the drive out, although the winding, pot-hole filled road leaves a little bit to be desired.




The lake itself is small, but very picturesque. There is a great hike that takes you to the top of the rock peak you see in the distance, but unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on who you asked) we didn't have time to climb to the top.




We took the back road from Paul Lake through to a rural area called Pritchard. And by back road, I'm talking about dirt and gravel. It made the rough road out to Paul Lake look like an expressway by comparison. It is worth it though because it eventually leads to this view.




I'm sorry the picture is a bit hazy. There had been a small forest fire the day before, and some smoke was still hanging in the air.

Much of the area surrounding Kamloops is ranch land. We stopped to get a picture of the hanging skull, and then noticed the barbed-wire sign spelling out the name Hall. That happens to be Gill's last name, so of course we had to get a picture.




Every time I drive this road I think to myself that I really must stop and get a picture of this old one lane bridge over the South Thompson River. I've finally done it!




That's the end of the journey. Thanks for coming along with us!

10 comments:

  1. Your scenery is so 'big' compared to ours. We live on such a small island in comparison. We can get to so many places just two hours from home. That's about our limit for a drive for a day out.
    Looks like you had a good time with your English friends.
    Kathy xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Kathy, 2 hours from home is far enough for a day out. It always amazes me how far Americans and Canadians will drive for a short visit. Mind you with your beautiful scenery I'd be tempted too

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful scenery, you do live in a lovely area. If I'd grown up in the area, I would have spent a lot of time up on the rock peak.

    That's the longest one-lane bridge I've ever seen. I hope people are on alert before commiting to cross--wouldn't want to have to back up that far.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's been a beautiful tour!
    -- stashdragon

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for taking us along, it has been wonderful to see the wonderful scenery you have close-by.
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for inviting us to come with you. You live among such beautiful countryside. I had to smile when you mentioned the difference between Canadian and British ideas of distance. If we set off and drove for 2 hours from our home in Mid-Wales, we'd be halfway across England at the end of that time. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to know you had a good visit with your friends. I've really enjoyed the armchair tour of the Interior.
    Like others, I had a bit of a chuckle about the idea of distance and what is a long drive. I have a cottage which is about 85 km from my house and I think its 'close'.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had no idea that you lived in such an astonishing place. I always think of you travelling for adventures, like your Korean trip. This July an old college friend who married a Canadian and lives in Thunder Bay will be visiting us. We keep looking out for possible itineraries for them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The whole minutes thing ... do you think it's partly because we have higher speed limits and travel further in the same time?

    Great pics of a beautiful place :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've enjoyed the posts of your local travel with your British friends, Kristie. You really do live in a gorgeous area, and your photos put us right there with you!

    ReplyDelete