Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Mission Hills

Monday we headed south to Kelowna. The road is very familiar to me, as it is the start of the long drive I take when I go to visit my mom in the States. It was very nice to be able to go at a leisurely pace and take some time to stop and enjoy the beautiful scenery on the way. Kalamalka Lake, just south of Vernon, has beautiful shades of blue-green running through it.




It is hard to see from a distance, so here's a closer look.




Kelowna is known for its orchards and vineyards. In spite of the fact we have lived here for seven years, we have never taken the time to go do one of the winery tours that are offered. This is the great thing about having visitors - it forces you to get out and see the local attractions you never quite get around to on your own.

The setting for the Mission Hills Winery is stunning. I have driven through Kelowna more times than I can count, but have never been in this section of the city. Now I understand why people say Kelowna is so beautiful.




The contrast between the temperature outside, which was a toasty 30C (86F), and the temperature down in the wine cellar was dramatic.




Of course, the best part of the tour came at the end when we got to sample some of the wine.



We each had two spoons in front of our wine glasses, one with cheese and one with chocolate. I made a trade with Jay. I got his chocolate and he had three of my four wine samples.

I'm almost embarrassed to own up to the next part of our day. We also stopped by a brewery. No tours here - we went straight for the samples. I am not a beer drinker, so I tried their cider.




It was nice, but I would rather have had chocolate.

15 comments:

  1. I'd love to try their cider! More reasons to visit BC: wine AND cider.
    -- stashdragon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are lots of reasons to visit! Every region of the province has something different to offer, even if it's just frostbite (that would be the northern part!). Have you ever been here?

      Delete
  2. Dear Kristie....about 10 years ago. My husband and I went to amCalifornia winery as part of a working junket....we ate dinner Ina wine cave and had lovely wines to drink. Most of the women wore elegant gowns, strapless , and I felt really out of place....fortunately, it was freezing in the wine cave and all of us went upstairs to the gift shop to buy sweatshirts!

    A designer gown, or a pants outfit from Chico's, not that different under a hooded sweatshirt with the logo of the winery on it! I relaxed, stopped feeling drab, and had a lovely time!

    Barbara M. In NH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I love this story. I told Gill, my English guest, about it today and she got a good laugh out of it, too.

      Delete
  3. I don't drink much wine or beer, but I love cider. This looks like a really nice day with your guests again. You will send them home with many happy memories of their trip! Beautiful photos too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have had the most amazing weather, and that has really helped with our outings. They have taken lots and lots of pictures and have seen many beautiful places, so I am hoping you are right and they go home with many happy memories.

      Delete
  4. Lol I did giggle at swapping your samples for chocolate. You live in such a beautiful place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chocolate wins out every time! :-)

      Delete
  5. What a perfect day out. The colour of that Lake is amazing! I live in a wine region too so love seeing other wine regions around the world. I'm a big fan of Cider too :-) You guests must be having a ball! Me; x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some days when the whole lake is that beautiful shade of blueish-green. It is one of my favourite local scenic views. Next time I am at the liquor store I am going to check to see if they have any Tasmanian wine stocked. :-)

      Delete
  6. I think you've yet to taste proper Somerset or Suffolk cider ... and this from a chocoholic, who would choose a small glass of Aspalls cider every time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is the cider you are talking about like Weston's cider? Jean got me going on Weston's cider and I love it. The problem is, it is very difficult to find here. Nobody in Kamloops stocks it. When my oldest son lived in Calgary there was a place he could buy it for me. We will have to try the ciders you are talking about when we are there. One more thing to look forward to! :-)

      Delete
  7. Wow. The hillside along the Kalamalka Lake is magnificent. You're so lucky to have beautiful landscapes like this in such close proximity.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The lake and mountains look amazing. I don't think I have ever tasted any wine from Canada. I agree with you although I enjoy a drink chocolate would win every time!
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous scenery and I am now about to show my abysmal ignorance by admitting that I never knew until now that Canada has a wine industry. Shame on me! A brewery I would have expected and I'd have enjoyed visiting and sampling both. :-)

    ReplyDelete