Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Tuesday Roundup

I am in the middle of Something I Can Not Talk About. Which means two things. The first is that it's hard to write a blog post when you can't write about what you really want to write about. The second is that I don't have a lot of time, due to the attention being given to this project. So here's a quick roundup of the past few days, and hopefully there will be a longer post next time.

Today is election day in BC. In the interests of keeping this a politically neutral blog, all I will say is I really wish they would have included nose plugs when they mailed out the voter registration cards. Yes, the choices are all that bad.

One nice thing about having your kids grow up and move out of the house is finally, after years of having to shuffle people around every time visitors arrived, we now have a designated guest room. This would be even more awesome if it weren't for the fact that it is also my designated craft room. Which would explain why one of the first things out of my mouth when our guests arrived last week was a warning to not open the closet in their room. Because...




Here is a picture of David and Fergus taken a couple of days ago. Don't be fooled by those innocent looks.




David just walked into the kitchen with his nose in the air and asked, "What smells like hippies?" I had to confess it was me. My neighbour is starting a soap and lotion business and she had just asked me to try out a new formula. After all our years living in the Kootenays, I am afraid we will always associate the smell of patchouli with some of the more colourful inhabitants of that area. The Urban Dictionary defines patchouli as:

A pungent scented oil usually worn by those who live an alternative or bohemian lifestyle. ie:Artist, musicians hippies, bikers, punkrockers etc.

They obviously overlooked knitters in their definition. My friend's soaps are amazing, and once she has her website up and running I plan to give away a bar on my blog, so stay tuned. And I promise, no patchouli.

19 comments:

  1. I don't know which of them looks more mischievous...what a great pair!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, what smells like hippies. I like him. I do like patchouli, though. My dad is kind of an aging hippie (he was at Woodstock) and he likes patchouli and sandalwood. I long for the day when I can have a craft room. It's bittersweet, obviously, because it means my kids would be grown and fledged, but it's nice to imagine what it will be like!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wondered if anyone would know what I meant when I mentioned patchouli! And yes, sandalwood is the other "hippie smell." As the daughter of a Woodstock dad I'm sure you are very familiar with both! :-)

      There's lots of time to have a craft room, but the years when your kids are young and at home are short. Enjoy them while they are little!

      Delete
  3. "What smells like hippies?" BAHAHAHAHAHAA! Love it! Seriously, what a great question! I shall use it at the first semi-appropriate opportunity! Thank David for me! :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll tell David you said thanks. :-)

      Delete
  4. Haha, I have always associated patchouli with hippies too. I think it's got a bad rap. :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too funny! Now I know we aren't the only ones who make that association. :-)

      Delete
  5. Someday that spare room will be mine--my wife snores up a storm and her elbows cannot be avoided. My grandparents had separate rooms (except when I lived with them) and it seemed like a good system to me. Someday!!! :)

    I hope the secret project turns out the way you want it to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least your wife doesn't smell like a hippie! :-)

      Delete
  6. Patchuli and hippies? We missed that era around here, the most we'd know was the movie Hair...LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's too bad you missed out on the hippie era. I have a soft spot for hippies, having lived amongst them for so many years. I can't say the same about the patchouli though!

      Delete
    2. Yes, I think i wold have loved it... I was considered a wild girl, and still was told I look like an artist (whatever that means), especially with my love for colors, and wild patterned stockings...

      Delete
  7. We didn't miss out on patchouli and hippies as our part of Mid-Wales was a magnet for them in the 70s. Just a whiff takes me back 40 years! :-) As for the stash in the guest room, you have to get your priorities right. Guests come and go but a good stash is for life.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it funny how a smell can be instantly associated with something? I had no idea there had been an influx of hippies into Wales!

      Yes, the stash is a permanent resident of the room, therefor has top priority. :-)

      Delete
    2. Oh, yes. Property was cheap and they all wanted to get back to nature. The old farmhouse we live in, which we bought in 1973, had been lived in for some years by a group of hippies. The psychedelic colour scheme had to be seen to be believed. :-)

      Delete
  8. Patchouli is a pretty common scent out here on the islands still, especially the outer islands :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This proves my point about patchouli and hippies. :-)

      Delete
  9. I'm behind in my blog reading, and the subject of patchouli made me laugh. Our now-closed LYS was owned by a woman who was a hippie in her college years. She liked to make her own soap in the kitchen at the rear of the yarn shop, and she loved patchouli. (I had never heard of patchouli--I was a preppie in my college years.) I always had to air out any yarn I bought at the LYS because the patchouli smell permeated the beautiful yarns there!

    Mary G. in Texas

    ReplyDelete