Monday, June 17, 2013

Projects, Old and New

I got side-tracked with my knitting. I really meant to knit just two pairs, but I couldn't seem to stop myself. The cute factor was simply too high.


All four pairs were knit with the same needles and pattern, but with different weights of yarn. The red and white socks were knit with a fingering weight, and they look like they should fit the new grandchild for approximately fifteen minutes before she outgrows them. However, I am counting on that being long enough to have her addicted to hand knit socks for life.

The pinkish pair were knit with a sport weight, and the yellow with a DK. It was interesting to see the difference going up a weight made in the sock's size. To help put these wee socks in perspective I placed a pair on top of a pair of my socks.


Moving from new projects to old...

Last week when Rebekah and I were cleaning out our storage room we ran into a couple of treasures. These treasures did not include an old show box that had just two items in it - one being an empty candy wrapper and the other a half-smoked cigar. How these things came to be shoved into our storage room, and who they might have belonged to remains a mystery. While it is true everyone in our family consumes candy, there isn't a smoker amongst us. There was another box with just two items. They were things I previously would have thought impossible to use in the same sentence. One was a remote control car, minus the remote controller. The car was sitting inside the other item, which was a German army helmet from World War 2. Words fail.

Treasure #1 is an extremely rare item. It is a completed knitting project that Alexandra made. The reason this is so rare is that in addition to numerous food allergies, Alexandra also claims to be allergic to knitting. She says it gives her a stomach ache. She made this doll when she was about nine years old.


Treasure #2 is a birthday card Rebekah made for Karsten. He was turning fourteen, which means she would have just turned eight.


We cracked up when we opened the card and read what was inside.


"Are you going to have a moustache and a beard? Even if you have either I still love you."


The Hammond house, where even deep cleaning can prove to be an adventure...

22 comments:

  1. your little socks are so cute. I love coming across treasures that the children have made, certainly takes you back

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, sorting through all of these things has brought back lots of memories. It is nice now to be able to take pictures of some of it and keep the memories on the computer instead of in boxes though!

      Delete
  2. I love the treasures you are discovering from your packing up! We recently found so old home made cards. I didn't want to throw them out so we have scanned them so we will still have a copy of them. Your socks are tiny, i can see why you couldn't stop knitting them!
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scanning is a great idea! I have been taking pictures of some things, like the birthday card in this post. Scanning would probably work much better.

      As for the socks, I had to make myself stop after pair #4. But I'm sure there will be more knit in the not too distant future. :-)

      Delete
  3. Adorable, weird, interesting, adorable, and adorable...in that order. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our family specializes in weird and interesting. Adorable, not so much. :-)

      Delete
  4. Cute little socks!
    And it must be great to find little treasures like that :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hege! Some day when your children are older I'm sure you will make the same treasure discoveries around your house. :-)

      Delete
  5. awww I love that card, how special to still have it! LOVE your socks, they are so itty and cute, I'm not at all surprised that is addictive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The card is funny not just because of what she said, but the unique spelling also made us laugh. Ha!

      Delete
  6. That card is SO wonderful! I wonder what other treasures you will find......and those socks are extremely cute. I can honestly say I have never had a pair of hand knitted socks. Lucky baby :-) Mel x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping we stumble across a few more treasures, but i would like for them to be like the card and not the half-smoked cigar. :-)

      Delete
  7. The treasures are really priceless--and so are the socks. Someday that little girl will grow up and be so happy to have them.

    You have quite a wonderful family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My hope is to get all of my grandchildren hooked on hand knit socks. It will take care of birthday and Christmas gifts!

      Thanks for you kind words about our family. Like any other, they can be both wonderful and quite challenging, just not usually at the same time. :-)

      Delete
  8. Treasure #1 made me say, "Oh, how sweet". Alexandra needs to keep that for her future child(ren).

    You just thought that no one in the family smokes! Obviously, there was a closet cigar smoker at one time in the past who had to ditch the cigar quickly so as not to be found out. Personally, I would suspect one of the males in the family, line them all up, and ask the guilty one to "fess up", lol!

    My sister was going through some old birthday cards of hers a couple of years back, and she sent me the one I had sent her many, many years ago. I had included a letter in the card, and in the letter I was complaining about the shocking price of some new tennis shoes I had just bought my son (who is now 42 years old). The shoes cost $9.00! We both had a good laugh over that.

    Mary G. in Texas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If your theory about the cigar is true we are lucky the guilty party didn't burn the house down. Ha!

      Isn't it fun to run across old stuff like that? Replacement laces for runners could almost cost you $9.00 now! :-)

      Delete
  9. Priceless! But allergic to knitting ... no!!!!!

    Those socks are just the cutest things :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The allergies balance out...She's allergic to knitting and I'm allergic to sewing. :-)

      Delete
  10. how cute are those little socks?! I love the variegated pair :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have tons more leftover variegated yarn, so I'm sure there will be lots more. They were my favourite pair, too!

      Delete
  11. Those baby socks are SO sweet and the birthday card is wonderful. :-)

    Your adventures in the storage room sum up perfectly why I keep putting off sorting out a lot of boxes I know i really should deal with. Let me open a box which contains anything interesting or nostalgic and I'm lost for hours. Sigh.... I hope for your sake you have more willpower than me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If i have more willpower than you it is only due to the pressure of knowing we have to be out of this house in three short weeks, and we don't have room to take everything with us. I am just thankful for digital cameras and my computer. It is a great way to save some of the memories without saving some of the stuff. Good luck with your sorting when you decide to tackle it!

      Delete