Friday, June 28, 2013

Simple Pleasures

I'm quite sure everyone is getting tired of hearing about our upcoming move. So I thought I would show you that it hasn't been all work and no play around here. In the midst of the people-made disaster we are living in right now, there have been a few spare moments to enjoy the simple pleasures of life.

The Kamloops Farmer's Market has had local strawberries for the past two weeks. I felt especially proud of myself for arriving early enough last Saturday to score two baskets of berries from my favourite grower. Their berries are amazing! The week before I wasn't so fortunate. By the time I got to the market my favourite grower's berries were gone, and I had to resort to buying from the other vendor. She is a lovely lady, so friendly and helpful, but her strawberries are a bit iffy. I think of them as the fruit version of Bertie Bott's Every Flavour Beans. There are delicious berries mixed in with mouldy ones, and you can never quite tell which it is you are getting until you bite into it.




Last week I had to go to the bank, a chore I usually detest. I was there to retrieve a document Rebekah needs so she can get her US passport. I had a moment of panic when they told me they no longer do the safe packet program, and hadn't for several years. Visions of them throwing out my unclaimed paperwork slowly receded as a vague memory began to take shape. A memory of me removing all that paperwork six years ago when we got a home safe. Oops. The document I needed was actually at home in my bedroom.

However, it turned out not to be a wasted trip. It was National Aboriginal Day, and the bank was handing out bannock to all their customers. I love this country! Seriously, where else could you walk into a bank and be handed a piece of bannock?


An old friend drove up from Richmond this week to have one last visit with us before we leave Kamloops. After we move we will actually live within an hour and a half of each other, which might make one wonder why he wanted to drive for four hours now, when he could wait a few weeks and be at our house in much less time. This is just a guess, but I think it might have something to do with his mode of transportation.



Yesterday I took some time off from packing and met a couple friends at Starbucks. We knit and talked and laughed and had a wonderful goodbye visit.



When I was editing this picture of the three of us I discovered a terrific feature to ToonCamera I hadn't been aware of. It erases wrinkles.

There has also been some knitting, and hopefully I will be able to show you a finished project in my next post. If only that finished project was the packing...

22 comments:

  1. Those strawberries looks perfect, Kristie! Yum. I haven't heard of bannock before but that looks really good. I'm not one bit tired of hearing about your move, so keep it coming. I'm really excited for you and Jay, this is going to be wonderful. It's an adventure! And you look great, by the way. Very youthful and not one bit wrinkled in any photo I've seen. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bannock is good, but not good for you. As is often the case! I took my piece home for Jay since I don't eat wheat. It is similar to what I grew up with on the Coeur d' Alene reserve called fry bread.

      You are very kind to say that about the lack of wrinkles. And I'm glad to hear you aren't tired of our moving adventures yet. :-)

      Delete
  2. Bannock? Honestly, I learn so much stuff from your blog!

    I need me a ToonCamera...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! You just never know what to expect when you come here!

      ToonCamera is a lot of fun. Even if you don't have wrinkles. :-)

      Delete
  3. Lol, I was looking at the photo of you thinking 'WOW, she just looks so youthful, she must have good genes' then I read you had found a wrinkle remover, hehe, I'm going to bookmark that!

    Glad to hear that things are going ok with the packing, its a massive job, so I'm pleased you have time for strawberries and coffee!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You shouldn't need wrinkle remover for a long time, Sarah! :-)

      Delete
  4. I'm glad to know you're managing some good times despite the hassle of moving house.

    It's interesting to watch the fresh-fruit seasons moving north with the summer. Our local strawberries have been finished for six weeks. But at least when they're available we can buy them at the grower's stand, just beside his fields, only two miles away from our house! Cherries similarly - but alas, their local season is done too, three weeks ago.
    -- stashdragon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cherries are just getting started here, and then in a few weeks the blueberries and raspberries will be ripe. That must mean you are already into blueberry/raspberry season. :-)

      Delete
  5. I love the look of those berries. *sigh* I'm hoping to get fresh blueberries soon here. Banks are very different here, but you know that. That's great news you found the document. I needed a paper related to my dad's estate (which was closed long ago) and had all sorts of problems resolving the issue without it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The scary thing about the bank story was the fact I had totally forgotten that I had taken all those papers out of the safe packet program. It makes me wonder what other important things I might have forgotten about!

      Delete
  6. Glad you still have time to have some fun and share simple pleasures and make me smile!
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah! I'm afraid as the move gets closer the time for fun is going to disappear. But no matter how crazy it gets I have promised myself I get to have my tea and spend at least fifteen minutes a day knitting. :-)

      Delete
  7. Those strawberries look absolutely luscious ... yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were, and they only lasted for a day. I need to go buy more!

      Delete
  8. I'm SO hoping we can get Michigan cherries this weekend at the farmer's market. The California cherries I've been getting at the supermarket just do not compare.

    Thanks for continuing to share with us in this busy time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's nothing better than local fruit in season! California "anything" always pales in comparison.

      Delete
  9. You NEED these breaks or the move will drive you mad, Kristie. I'm glad the vital document was safe after all and am chuckling at the though of Bertie Bott's strawberries. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I'm beginning to think I'm mad for having the idea to move in the first place. It is starting to be a bit overwhelming, but you're right. Breaks are important.

      Delete
  10. Glad you are able to find some enjoyable moments amongst the chaos of the big move, which I enjoy hearing about by the way so please don't stop. I have not heard of Bannock either - always fun visiting you here. Mel x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bannock is supposedly a Native American food, but the reality is it didn't make an appearance until after the fur traders introduced flour. It tastes good, but is very, very bad for you. Like so many other things! :-)

      Thanks for hanging in there with me while I blog about our moving woes. Two weeks from today is the big day!

      Delete
  11. Those strawberries look divine. I'm sitting eating some right now as I watch the Tennis at Wimbledon (on the TV). It's nice to take time out from busy times. Enjoy.
    Patricia x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strawberries and Wimbledon seem to go together!

      Delete