Monday, June 10, 2013

Thrill Ride

I am using one of my favourite tactics for dealing with jobs that seem overwhelming. Procrastination. Instead of being at home packing boxes for the move, Rebekah and I are down in Spokane right now visiting my mom. It was very nice having a travel companion on the long drive down, and even better to think it will be the last time I have to make the long, lonely drive from Kamloops to Spokane. The trip from our new home to my mom's will be a bit shorter, and it will be on a much better road.

You might think visiting someone living in a senior's home would be a quiet, uneventful experience. That might be true in most cases, but not if you are visiting my mom. I never know quite what to expect when I come down. This visit's excitement has centred around the car accident my mom was in a couple weeks ago. The good news is my mom wasn't hurt in the accident. The bad news is the car was.

Today she had to leave her car at the auto body shop and pick up the rental car. This might not sound like a big deal, but the thing is I haven't ridden in a car my mom was driving for about twenty years, and I was sort of hoping to keep it that way for the next twenty. However, she insisted that she would drive, pointing out "I might as well get used to it." What she meant by this was she would have to be the one to drive the rental car on the way back due to the way the rental car rules work.

Rebekah got into the front passenger seat, and I crawled into the back, thinking I might do better if I couldn't see what was happening. This strategy worked great right up to the moment my mom turned left into the parking lot for the body shop. That would be left, across two lanes of oncoming traffic. My position in the back right seat gave me the perfect view of the white car that missed us by mere inches. It was a close call, and brought back fond memories of some hair raising taxi rides in China back in 2009.

If I wasn't anxious to ride with my mom in a car she was used to driving, you can imagine my reluctance to be the passenger in one she wasn't used to. This time the view from the back proved to be quite entertaining though. We climbed into the car and when I looked up at my mom it was like she was Jonah and the car was the whale. The seat was so far back, and reclined backwards at such an angle that it gave the impression she had been swallowed whole. We had a good laugh about it, got her adjusted properly, and off we went.

I'm happy to report we made it back to my mom's apartment incident and accident free and I have been left with that exhilarating feeling one gets after a close call, be it real or perceived. My recovery strategy was to make myself a nice cup of tea. Rebekah's was to sit down with a crossword puzzle.

The picture was done using an app called ToonCamera, which happens to be free right now. (I would put in a link, but I am writing this post using Blogsy and can't remember how to do links with it.) Tomorrow we head back to Kamloops and Rebekah is going to help me work through the nightmare that is the storage room. That experience may prove even scarier than riding with my mom!

 

26 comments:

  1. Ha ha, glad you survived the driving adventure with your mom. And I like that ToonCamera effect...one of my friends on Facebook has been going nuts "tooning" everyone's profile pictures for them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just heard about ToonCamera today. I'm sure the novelty will wear off soon, but I'm having a lot of fun with it. Just another way to procrastinate. Ha!

      Delete
  2. Gosh, you believe in living dangerously, Kristie. :-) Driving with my darling mother-in-law can feel much the same, though thankfully she doesn't have to deal with city traffic. Good luck with the sorting and packing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! If I had been given a choice I would have opted out of living dangerously. I'm quite sure my mom insisted on driving just to give us all a thrill. It sounds like you know exactly what It's like!

      Delete
  3. I'm very glad to hear you all made it in one piece. My mom is a scary, scary driver too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It builds character to have a mom who is a bad driver. :-)

      Delete
  4. Oh I do love some good procrastination! I'm glad you survived the car ride, it sounds a bit scary for my liking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need a new procrastination strategy for when I get home. :-)

      I try to avoid the scary rides by doing all the driving when I come down for a visit. I'm not a scary ride kind of person either.

      Delete
  5. Yikes! I hope you're able to avoid that type of excitement from now on--you've had your share. I don't ride with my FIL anymore, I'm afraid my right foot might push through the floor of his truck...or that we'll end up airborne, like in a scene from CHiPs!

    How is it being a passenger with one of the kids driving?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems like a lot of us have similar experiences with older drivers. And since you brought it up I must confess I am not too keen on being a passenger when my kids are driving either. :-)

      Delete
    2. It's strange to think that someday our kids might not want to ride with us. But it might not happen. I never enjoyed riding with my FIL....but my dad's driving was always okay.

      I messed up with the earrings--they're for pierced ears. :)

      Delete
    3. My dad's driving was great until the last year or so of his life. He started to be just a bit unsure of himself at intersections, etc., but that didn't stop him from passing cars at 75 MPH. More thrill rides! :-)

      Does that mean you don't get to wear the earrings tomorrow?

      Delete
  6. Sounds like you had a narrow escape, in some respects though its good that your mum is still independent!! Good luck with the packing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom is very independent, and that is great. The issues with her driving go back as far as I can remember, but it does seem as she has gotten older some things have gotten even worse.

      Delete
  7. I loved my mum's driving style, she had ridden a bicycle for years before she learned to drive and so I assume that is why she would lean violently to right or left as she cornered - even if going very slowly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is hilarious! It must have made for some very interesting rides. :-)

      Delete
  8. I had some rides like that with my dad in the year or two before he decided it e
    Was time to stop driving. He had macular degeneration and he chose to stop himself, which made it easier on everyone. I shudder to think of my last few visits when he insisted on driving. Glad you all made it in one piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That must have been scary, riding with someone who had reduced vision. My mom had cataract surgery last year and when she told me she had driven to the store soon after I asked her how that was possible. She said it wasn't a problem, she simply closed the eye that had been operated on while she was driving.

      Delete
  9. Oh, what an adventure! You'll have something exciting to recall when you're buried in boxes! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trust me, I have more than enough excitement in my life already. I don't need more. Ha!

      Delete
  10. It's not my parents ... but Kid #2 gets her driver's permit within the month. Unfortunately, she's of the opinion that "I already know all about driving" since she remembers her elder (by 4 years) sister learning.

    As for cleaning things out? I do love using a timer. Work hard for some set time (30 - 40 minutes). Knock off and relax (knit, read, walk) for 20. Then back to it. 'Course it sounds easier than it is. My closets are all a right ol' mess -- and they'd each take one to three cycles to get them considerably better than they are now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was too scared to ride with my kids when they were learning. I left my husband in charge of all new drivers. Good luck with Kid #2. :-)

      The timer is a great idea - thanks!

      Delete
  11. That reminds me of when our son Mike was about 7 years old, and we were driving with his Grandpa in Vancouver (who was from a small town, didn't know Vancouver, and wasn't known to be a very attentive driver)and Mike piped up, "The question is, Grandpa, do you know what you're doing?"

    Love that toon app! Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! That is hilarious! It must have been bad if a seven year old noticed something wasn't right!

      Delete
  12. My Grandpa gave up his driving license voluntarily at age 90. We used to joke that although he proudly asserted that he had never been in an accident, the ones he caused were probably numerous.......he's a very independent one too. Glad you arrived in one piece.

    I procrastinate a lot too but find if someone is around to help me then I seem to get a bit more motivation. Good luck with the storage room! Mel x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cleaning the storage room has been so much easier since my daughter was here to help. We tackled it yesterday, and by 8:00 last night had finished the job. You are right - having someone to work with is great motivation!

      Your grandpa may have caused numerous accidents, but they must not have been serious ones or he probably wouldn't have been able to think of himself as never having been in one. :-)

      Delete