Tuesday, July 2, 2013

In the Nick of Time

Kamloops is in the midst of a heat wave. Yesterday it got up to 37.4°C (99.4°F), and it looks like it might go even higher today. This is not the kind of weather you want to be knitting a super bulky weight sweater in, so I was very happy to cast this off the day before the hot weather arrived. The problem was the sweater needed to be washed and blocked before I could get pictures, which meant modelling it after the heat wave got here.

On Sunday morning, before things heated up too much, Rebekah and I went outside to get these shots.




It seemed a bit strange to be wearing such a heavy sweater along with shorts and my Crocs, but the thought of putting on jeans for the picture made me feel faint.




I knit this with Spud & Chloe Outer. After knitting a couple of hats with the Spud & Chloe I was hooked. I searched Ravelry for a pattern and found Polly Pullover, which is written specifically for this yarn. I love its simplicity! I think it will be perfect for the milder climate we are moving to. Yes, it is a super bulky yarn, but the short sleeves should keep it from being too warm. One thing I can say for certain - it won't keep me as warm as it did the day this picture was taken!

Fergus doesn't seem to mind the heat, which might have something to do with the fact he spends most of the day inside our air conditioned house.




Ravelry details here. Enough procrastinating...I need to go do some more packing.

24 comments:

  1. I love it, Kristie! Your work is gorgeous and it looks terrific on you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous colour and I really like the shaping in this. But yeah, I can see where it might be a little much for 37°C.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristie,

    I like the color of your sweater. It must be extra work to shape the sweater like that. It looks slim at mid section, but you're already slim. I've been gaining weight lately, so I wouldn't look like that. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely knit, and we appreciate your sacrifice of wearing it in the heat wave (we have that to)!

    I also notice that garden behind you, that's totally why the house sold quickly - you put in a garden!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was so quick! It looks beautiful on you and I love the colour too - matches the blue tones of your lakes over there :-) Mel x

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks fabulous! You can send your warm weather over here, Belfast's summer has been pretty grey and wet so far.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really love this, it's simple and cute and the colour is lovely.

    I've got a big pile of super bulky to supposedly turn into a sweater, glad to see it can turn out looking non-frumpy which was my main worry!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your sweater looks gorgeous, a perfect fit! Hope you are managing to keep cool!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your sweater is great, looks well with shorts, so at least you have something to wear when its a bit cooler

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow... that's hot!! still rainy in wales (though hoping for some sun next week) Love your sweater :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh dear, I'm beginning to fantasise about sunshine - could we do a mini life-swap? But seriously, that's a gorgeous sweater, hope you have the chance to wear it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's such a beautiful color! And it's a perfect layering piece for your next trip! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wondered about the sweater pix when you posted them on Ravelry! "Didn't BC get the west coast heat wave?" I asked myself. We've had five days in a row of temps over 100F/38C. By now a mere 99 feels cool!
    -- stashdragon

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the color you used to knit this! It's going to be a nice pop of color in the winter. We haven't had any form of heat wave. I wonder it the temperatures will remain as mild as they have been throughout the summer. Also, your garden looks GREAT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great sweater!
    37 C, wow, I am about to faint when we reach 27 C...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yikes!!! I didn't know it got that hot in Kamloops. That's awful. You were brave to model the sweater outdoors, even if it was early. I would have been inside helping Fergus enjoy the a/c. It's a beautiful sweater, you'll likely be getting requests to share. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great sweater! You have the figure for it. I really love the pictures of the new house. What is a recreational community? Sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I didn't realise the temperature gets that high in Canada, you do have extremes in temperature. Those photos of the deep snow in your garden seem a long time ago. I love the colour of your sweater, it looks as if Fergus likes it too!
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love it! (I had my share of shooting pictures of wool sweaters in a heatweave, so I can feel for you).

    ReplyDelete
  20. I read with interest that your Westie, Fergus, came from Blind Bay. My Molly came from there too. She just turned 1 on June 29th and is too adorable for words.

    Wilma

    ReplyDelete
  21. A super sweater and well done for being willing to model it in that heat. Here's me feeling pleased that the temperature has finally crept above 20C and there are you sweltering in weather twice as hot! I hope it cools down for the move.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Jumper look great, lovely colour and unbelievable that you managed to model it in such high temps!
    We have an unusual spell of warm dry weather on the way, so exciting!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lovely job Kristie, and that really is the most gorgeous colour.

    25 degrees Celsius here today, which is 5 degrees too hot for me ... I've no idea how you're coping in that heat!

    ReplyDelete