Saturday, July 6, 2013

The Lasts

Our time in Kamloops is rapidly coming to an end. As excited as I am to be moving to Cultus Lake, saying goodbye is not going to be easy. There have been so many "lasts" over the past week, moments when it has suddenly dawned on me that I won't be going to a particular place or doing a particular thing again - at least not as a resident of this city I have called home for the past seven years.

Some of these lasts are met with a huge sigh of relief. I am really hoping the huge wind storm we had this past Tuesday will be the last one I have to endure. I never again want to live in a place where the wind blows so hard it can rearrange your patio furniture and BBQ for you. And if I never again have to do a workout at the gym with the Squirrel Lady flitting about nearby it will be too soon. Just saying.

However, and it is a big however, there are many things about Kamloops I am going to miss. Last week I returned the one remaining library book I had checked out, and it wasn't until the moment I pushed it through the return slot that I realized that was it. My time using the library here was finished. It might sound silly, but I got a bit choked up.

Today was my last trip to the Kamloops Farmer's Market. Over the past seven years I have gotten to know many of the vendors, and it was quite sad to be going from stall to stall today not just to buy fresh fruits and vegetables, but also to say goodbye. When I went by the bannock stall I decided I better take some pictures for my blog. The stuff they gave out at the bank last week for Aboriginal Awareness Day didn't look too authentic, but this is the Real Deal.


Note: This is not my bannock. Sadly, they don't make a gluten-free version. 

Another last that took me by surprise happened last weekend. Rebekah and Anton had come up for the weekend to help us pack, and to move out some stuff they had stored here. Kellen and Anita came up for dinner, and it was one of those rare perfect nights here in the 'Loops. (By perfect I mean the wind wasn't blowing, so we could sit out on the back deck and eat without the burgers being blown out of our hands.) All of a sudden it hit me. This was the last family dinner we would be having at this house. This wasn't a sad thought, as there will be other family dinners at our new home. It was just that sudden realization that next time everything will be different.

Then I was hit by an even stranger thought. I looked around and it suddenly occurred to me that every person there was going to be moving within the next two months. David was moving out to his own place in a few days, we would be moving in a couple weeks, Kellen and Anita are moving to Vancouver at the beginning of August, and Rebekah and Anton are moving to San Francisco at the beginning of September. (Alexandra had to work, so wasn't able to have dinner with us. She is not moving, at least not that I am aware of!)

By the way, the San Francisco thing is Hammond family breaking news. Anton has been offered a job with a tech company, doing something I don't understand and can't explain. So Rebekah got her year in Korea, and now Anton gets his year in the US. It seems like a good trade-off, and there is some hope of a transfer back to Vancouver in a year or so. It also means Rebekah, who got to experience her Korean roots last year, will get to explore her American side this year.

Tomorrow is the beginning of our last full week in Kamloops. Before we know it the "lasts" are going to be replaced by the "firsts." It will be a welcome change.

21 comments:

  1. It must be a bittersweet time for you. It sounds like you're mostly very ready for the change, though. That's how I felt when we moved from NY, where I'd lived most of my life, to NM almost seven years ago. It was hard in some ways but very easy in others. I am sure many exciting new adventures await you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is mostly exciting, but the goodbyes are definitely bittersweet. Moving from New York to New Mexico must have been a huge change! I am at least staying in the same province. :-)

      Delete
  2. Change is always difficult no matter how much its longed for. Of course you will be sad to leave, you have memories, but you have new memories to make as do your family. I look forward to reading about your firsts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to blogging about all the firsts, Sue! It will be fun to explore our new area and view it through my blog readers' eyes.

      Delete
  3. Im looking forward to reading all about the new adventure......one week to go...how exciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exciting and terrifying, all at the same time. :-)

      I am wondering what Fergus will think about the move. He has never been in a house other than ours. I'm afraid he will spend the first day or two thinking he is at the vets or the groomers. Ha!

      Delete
  4. Good luck with all the changes, its exciting but I find change unsettling for a while.

    Those bannocks look interesting...what are they???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bannock is sort of a Native American food. I say sort of, because they wouldn't have had it until flour was introduced by the early settlers. It is a basic dough that is deep fried. Often people put something sweet on top. In the one in this picture it was a cinnamon sugar mix. It is horribly unhealthy and wonderfully delicious. :-)

      Delete
  5. My move was just across town, so I didn't have to do all the "lasts" but I have been sort of listing all the things I'll really miss about the old apartment. I'm trying to balance that out with focusing on the things I like about the new one (and there are definitely things I DO NOT LIKE which I'm trying not to focus on).

    Anyway, best of luck with the move! I know the lasts are sort of sad while you're going through them but at least you have all the firsts to look forward to. Can't wait to read about them - hopefully I'll be all unpacked by then!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you are almost unpacked, and settling into your new place! And I hope the list of things you don't like about your new apartment is extremely short. :-)

      Delete
  6. Hope your move goes smoothly, Kristie....love to all the family.
    Joey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joey! I am hoping it goes smoothly as well, but with two dogs, a cat and possibly too much stuff to fit into our new home it might not be as easy a transition as I would like. Ha!

      Delete
  7. Gosh, it's all happening very fast, Kristie! It's very unusual to go from sold to moving in 6 weeks in the UK.

    I known just what you mean about those poignant lasts, but with so many exciting firsts to look forward to, I don't think you'll have many regrets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is happening quite fast, and for the past week I feel like someone pushed the fast forward button on the clock. There are so many things to get done, and a dwindling number of days/hours in which to do them.

      What would the average time be in the UK from sold to moving?

      Delete
    2. I honestly can't say, as our system is so different. Here the sale isn't completely finalised until the very end of the legal process and either buyer or seller can pull out at any time before then. As you can imagine that can lead to a lot of frustration and disappointment. Forty years ago we bought our present house in Wales very quickly, but it was empty and we were desperate to move, so the legal process could be speeded up. It took 5 weeks, which was seen as unusually fast. I've known it take up to 3 months or even more if there are legal queries.

      Delete
  8. Hope your last week in your old home goes smoothly. It will be exciting to be in a new place but sad to leave part of your old life behind. I hope Fergus and Jenny settle down quickly to their new home. Have they been affected by old your home.
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are now down to just five full days left here in Kamloops! Things are going smoothly, or at least as smoothly as could be hoped for at this stage. Fergus and Jenny are not too impressed with what's going on though - they have had to spend chunks of time in their crates. I keep telling them they are going to like it where they are going, but they just give me pathetic looks and make me feel guilty. :-)

      Delete
  9. Good luck to your new home and more adventure. I hope winds won't blow too hard.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's the trouble with a move, however welcome it always brings mixed reliefs and a certain discombobulation as one adjusts to the change. Most of all though I sense excitement here, I hope I'm right :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mixed feelings! I have no idea how I typed 'reliefs' in there, in fact I'm pretty sure I didn't!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Don't worry, there will be another Squirrel Lady! I hope all of the "firsts" during the first few months are all positive and that the appliance curse doesn't follow you!!! :)

    ReplyDelete