Friday, July 19, 2013

We're Here!

I have so much to blog about, and so many things to share but all I have the energy for right now is a quick touch-in post. In the final days leading up to our move the conversation in our house pretty much went like this.

Jay would hold up something and ask what we should do with it. Without even casting a glance in the direction of what he was holding up I would say "throw it out." Or I would hold up something and ask what we were doing with it and without casting a glance Jay would say "we're keeping that."

Now that we have moved into our new home the conversation has changed. Our most used phrase now is "have you seen ____?" You can fill in the blank with any number of things. Use your imagination. The more urgently an item is needed the better hidden it seems to be.

The move itself went off without a hitch. The day was beautiful, so we didn't have to worry about our stuff getting wet as it was packed into the house. I was the first to arrive. I pulled up to the gate at The Cottages at 10:30.




Kellen, Rebekah and Anton were all here to help, and we couldn't have done it without them. It was a long, exhausting day but by the end of it we had all the boxes where they should be. (Please note I am not saying they were all unpacked; they were just in the rooms they needed to be in to be unpacked.) The biggest job was getting the things meant for storage down into the crawl space. We had people above handing things down to the ones in the hole. We kept trading jobs so the people down below could get a break from being hunched over. It was back breaking work.



The only things the movers broke were two floor lamps. I didn't like them anyway, and now they have to replace them, so I think that worked out quite nicely. I am guessing that when the movers unloaded the box labelled "Kitchen cooking pans and fibre" they were thinking more along the lines of All Bran than spinning fibre.



The past few days have gone by in a cardboard induced haze, but I am happy to say that as of today we are pretty much unpacked.



Our house is surrounded by some lovely flowers and bushes, some of which I am not familiar with. I thought I would start a mini plant identification project on my blog. I'll post pictures of the ones I'm not sure about, and hopefully some of you will be able to tell me what they are. I want to start with this plant. It is beautiful, and is in full bloom right now. The hummingbirds love it - every time I am outside I see them hovering around the bright red flowers.



Any ideas?

32 comments:

  1. No idea about the plant, but I'm glad you are semi-settled in. It's amazing that you are unpacked already - after 7 years I'm finally getting to that point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Certainly in England that plant is called montbretia. I don't have the latin name. I admire your fortitude in moving at all. we have so much junk I wouldn't attempt it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's called Crocosmia. We have it in our garden and Seattle hummingbirds love it also. It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pleased to hear the move went well!! and I am impressed with being unpacked! I look forward to seeing photos of your new location!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad the move went well, I can't wait to see photos of the new house and surrounds :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad your move went well and hope you'll be very happy in your new home. We call that plant Mombretia here in England or Crocosmia - which is a member of the Iris family. Looking forward to seeing and hearing more about your new house and garden.
    Patricia x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely Crocosmia - it looks like the variety 'Lucifer', which here in the UK is the first to come into bloom. There are many other varieties in colours ranging from yellow, through orange, to intensely vibrant red, and all shades in between. It can be a bit of a 'thug' and stage a take-over bid for the whole garden if not carefully controlled!
    You seem to have done really well with sorting - we still have some boxes of books in our garage the haven't been unpacked since we arrived here 15 1/2 years ago!! Hope you haven't got rid of something you'll find you really need (it happens!) Every bleaaing in your new home - looking forward to your upcoming posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry - finger slipped & I didn't proof resd carefully enough!! Od course I meant 'blessing'!

      Delete
    2. Oops - done it again! 'Of course' this time!!

      Delete
  8. Gklad it all went smoothly, Kristie and that the weather was kind. Your conversation with Jay is identical to the kind I have with my DH. :-) You've done extyremely well to be almost unpacked already. Like Helva i still have some boxes to sort from our last move 6 years ago!

    As for the flower, I know it as Montbretia and the one in my garden is a late-summer-flowering, vivid orange.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're in!! How exciting. Glad it all went smoothly with the added bonus of two new lamps :-) Happy unpacking! Mel x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, Crocosmia Lucifer (crocosmia used to be known as monbretia). I have it in flower in my garden right now, only lasts for a couple of weeks or so but is stunning. I wish we had hummingbirds in the UK.
    Wishing you all the best in your new home.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad the move all went smoothly. I can't wait to hear all about your new home and it's surroundings.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't know what the plant is, sorry. It's beautiful, though! I'm so glad the move went smoothly and I hope you're all settled in very soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, man, I am living in "have you seen ___?" land right now.I just made oatmeal in a skillet because I couldn't find an appropriate pan. A pan which I know I've unpacked and already used several times, by the way. Glad your move went smoothly!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations and very best wishes in your new home - and as you know by now, it's definitely crocosmia lucifer - it's a wonderful plant, grows wild in the hedgerows here.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Kristie
    I knew the plant as montbretia, too. It grows wild in the Republic of Ireland.

    Wishing you all the best for a wonderful future in your new home.
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wishing you all the best in your new home (with crocosmia 'Lucifer' stunning plant!)Look forward to seeing more.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations on the move....I'm looking forward to hearing all about all of the "new" s in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations on your move, hopefully you will soon be settled and enjoying your new life, clutter free!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yeah, you're moved! I see people beat me to the plant id :) Glad things are going well, was thinking of you lots over the last couple of weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yay! Congratulations! You seem extremely lucid for having completed such a monumental task and I salute you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. We have that plant in Tasmania too, I am guessing it came over from England with the settlers and convicts! So glad the move went well! Have fun getting settled and exploring :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congratulations on a smooth move Kristie, and I for one am most impressed that you are already unpacked! It took me days to find cutlery after our last move nine years ago... I am not familiar with the red flower but it certainly looks very attractive.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Glad the move went smoothly. It all looks very lovely! ROs

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm pleased to hear the move went well, Kristie. You're living in a lovely area (Cultus was one of our hangout as teens).

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm so glad your move went well, it is lovely to hear from you in your new home. I think many have already given you in the answer to the plant we have some growing in our garden that is just about to come into flower too.
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  26. That's great you had helping hands for the move. Sounds like you had an old fashioned bucket brigade getting things into storage. Congratulations on a successful move into the new house!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Yah for the move being behind you! We are just about to make a big move ourselves... and I'm nervous! Glad to see that you made it through to the other side without a hitch!

    ReplyDelete
  28. just found your site & the flower is crocosima as you have been told before the name Lucifer comes from of course the red....I have it in my front garden along with one yellow one. I recently found out they are a bulb that is suppose to be lifted in the fall & then replanted....much the same as a canna lily....I couldn't figure out why mine keep diminishing over the years but perhaps that is why however in your climate they should be great. The pictures of B.C. are beautiful we haven't been there in years but still looks breathtaking....

    ReplyDelete