Wednesday, September 18, 2013

The Last Day

Sorry for the gap in posting. Wi-fi is not always easy to access in Wales and, to be honest, for the short amount of time it was available yesterday I was too exhausted to write.

We finished our Pembrokeshire Coast walk yesterday afternoon. I don't think there is anything I can say about Day 5 that won't sound like I am grossly exaggerating what we experienced. Wind. Rain. Treacherously slippery climbs. Up and down and back up again. This is the very sobering sign that greeted us as we headed out.

Here are Kath and Melissa as we started out.

Once we got to the top of the hill and rounded the corner to get on the path things got ugly.

I was more scared than I have been in a long time. Honestly, maybe more scared than I have ever been in my life. Which, like I said at the start of this post, makes it sound like I am exaggerating. I'm not. At one point all I had running through my mind was visions of sliding on the steep, muddy path and going over the edge. I knew I had to get a grip, so tried to focus on the yarn I plan to buy when I get to Shetland. Then I tried to think of all the projects I wanted to knit with the yarn. And that's when I knew I was on the edge. I couldn't picture a single one.

There were times I wanted to cry. There were times I was so scared and exhausted I wanted to stop and not take another step. It poured rain for hours, and when the rain stopped the wild wind started. For sixteen miles. But I kept going, only because there was no choice. I can honestly say I am so glad I got to see the coast of Wales, and the first four days were a wonderful experience. But that final day was awful. I hate being afraid.

Melissa is now on her way back home, and Kath and I are spending the next couple of days touring Wales with my good friends John and Gill, who were kind enough to drive over from England and pick us up. It feels like a luxury to be driven from place to place, to be warm and dry, and most important of all, to not be scared.

Here we are, putting our feet up at our B&B at the end of the journey. Kath had already stripped off her rain pants which, judging by the shape her beige pants were in, worked incredibly well.

 

 

18 comments:

  1. That does sound scary but you must be so proud to have done it. I think it sounds like a great accomplishment. Good for you. Enjoy the chauffeuring and have fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought, when I realised you'd settled on the Pembrokeshire path in the end and not the Ceredigion path, that you were brave souls, and clearly you are! So glad you survived!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations for completing it,the last day certainly sounds like a huge challenge.
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an acheivement!! Can't wait to see your posts from Shetland - a place I've always wanted to visit.

    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ruth in Ontario, CanadaSeptember 18, 2013 at 12:08 PM

    Well done, Kristie. Yes, fear is a terrible thing. Good thing you didn't need rescuing, as I heard on the news a couple of days ago that William has finished his RAF stint and is now a full-time royal :). Is it too late to send you a little shopping list for Shetland "souvenirs"? (Kidding!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a chilling thing to read: "no escape routes." You are braver and more daring than I will ever be, stepping foot past that sign. After that, I realize there was nothing to be done but to keep going, and I cannot imagine what that required. Maybe in a year or so it'll just be a story you can tell for fun. I am so glad you're safe and sound!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry you are having such bad weather. You are really unlucky because September is usually a lovely month. Things are due to improve in a couple of days though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on doing this amazing walk Kristie, and particularly for going on that last awful day. You are very strong and brave, and I'm so glad you all came through unscathed! Enjoy the more relaxed part of your trip, especially Scotland which I would very much like to see myself. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad you are safe. And dry. And enjoying being driven about for a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do apologise that Wales hadn't the courtesy to make sure that you had lovely weather for the whole of your walk - but we did tell you that we do get rather more than our fair share of wet (it's the mountains). And the wind this week has been evil, and you came in for a load of it, I fear. But I hope you did enjoy most of it. Next time, come to us and we'll show you the kinder bits of the Principality - and some rather spectacular sights as well! Plus the chance to meet some of the Welsh bloggers, too. Have a great time in the Shetlands (I'm very envious!), and a safe trip home.

    ReplyDelete
  11. EEEK!! I would hate that, I'm such a scaredy cat. And NO ESCAPE ROUTES would terrify me! Well done on pushing through, what an achievement! Enjoy your rest and shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh wow! That track does look rather precarious but how wonderful that you did it!!! There really is nothing better than that feeling of completing a good trek is there?! Enjoy the next part of your trip and please give our lovely Welsh friend a hug for me too :-) Mel xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kristie ... no idea if you'll see this in time ... my mobile is playing up so I've emailed you my home number.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kristie, you meant to say Kath stripped off her rain trousers to find her beige trousers were dry.....

    ReplyDelete
  15. Scary Kristie, but you must have such a sense of accomplishment....congratulations.......

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hope the weather in Shetland is proving better - think from Jean's blog you will have arrived about now! (Am SOOOO jealous!)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gosh, you three deserve a medal, Kristie. Parts of the path are challenging in the best of weathers and you had almost the worst. :-( I'm not surprised you were afraid. I'd have been scared rigid.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yikes! You three are made of sterner stuff than I....I salute you!!!

    ReplyDelete