Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Random Helpful Hints

In no particular order, here are some helpful hints I've come up with based on my life this past week.
  • Don't trust car dealerships. If they tell you the winter servicing on your vehicle will only take an hour, realistically you are going to sit and wait for almost three hours. Prepare accordingly. I didn't.
  • Don't start watching a murder mystery on your computer after dark but before you have taken your dog out for one last evening walk. It doesn't matter if you already know who the murderer is because you have read the book. The woods are creepy after dark. The movie, for those of you who don't have a dog, or who have already put your dog to bed, is Still Life, available through the CBC website if you are in Canada. The book is available worldwide through the usual sources. This link is to the author, Louise Penny's, site. She's one of my favourite mystery writers.
  • Do use your dog as a pattern holder while you knit. Only do this once your dog is almost two years old and no longer tries to eat your knitting.

  • Do trust your readers. Thanks to all of you for your great advice about making flapjacks. I followed the recipe and advice Jean from Cornwall left on my blog and it worked perfectly.


  • Don't waste five minutes trying to get your Nike walking app to work, only to look down and realize you aren't wearing your Nike runners. Those would be the runners with the special chip so the app can communicate with them.




  • Don't tell your family you are switching to an artificial Christmas tree this year and end up subjecting yourself to two months of whining and pleading and pronouncements of "it just won't be Christmas without a real tree." Just do it and let everyone be surprised when they show up. Okay, maybe not pleasantly surprised. But by then it will be a done deal. No more needles on the floor, no more water leaking out of the tree holder, no more fire hazard, no more having to tie the tree to the wall to keep the animals from tipping it over. And best of all, no more of this...

Last, but most certainly not least, I'm sure most of you have seen this poster making the rounds on the Internet. What you haven't seen is my advice.


  • Don't die first.





20 comments:

  1. Love this post! The artificial tree idea is great. Too late of course, but hey. And I will be checking out your mystery author, stat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahaha! This post is awesome. I'm with you on the fake tree...love it and will never go back. Thank you for imparting so much hard-earned wisdom. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A fun post full of handy hints Kristie. Fake tree for me, and I have dragged it up from the basement already. There'll be a bit of tree action going on very soon. What a good little doggie pattern holder :) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. This made me laugh. My family haven't even SEEN all my wool. They will get a shock if I shuffle off first.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely priceless post - thank you - you've started my day with a wry smile!

    ReplyDelete
  6. HAHA! Lessons learned from experience. I must admit, I am guilty of using the dog as a pattern holder.That last little meme made me laugh! Though, I think my husband knows too much about the cost, er.. VALUE of my craft supplies... oh, the bother of honesty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the pattern holder, and that sign is excellent. So it's not just me.........

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love all those helpful hints especially the flapjack recipe and the dog as a pattern holder -there is no danger of knitting being eaten here!
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the poster, the pattern holder, and flapjack, I always add dried fruit and nuts to mine, makes them seem much healthier!! I have also used honey instead of the golden syrup but there is no sub for the sugar

    ReplyDelete
  10. You taught me something again today: I always thought flapjack was just another word for pancake. But those aren't pancakes at all!
    I have another helpful hint for your readers: Kristie's book "Ting Ting" is available for purchase!!! I ordered mine the moment I got the email from your publisher today, and I'm thrilled to be among the first to read the fruits of your labors, Kristie. Heck, I think I might even blog about your book once I get it in my hands...would that be ok with you? I'm just giddy with excitement! (Here's the link to buy it: http://journeynorthof49.blogspot.com/2013/08/ting-ting.html. And I was happily surprised to find that I got free shipping, even in the US.) ~ Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ::Redfaced:: Oh sorry, wrong link. Here it is: http://www.sononis.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=156&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=186

      Delete
    2. Thanks for ordering the book, Kim! And of course it would be okay with me if you blog about it. :-)

      Delete
  11. I love your hints!! And your flapjacks look so yummy! I hope you won't mind if I steal that last sign for my FB page? it really made me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  12. No fake tree in my house, LOL. It would me complaininga all the way... Once, only once I let my ex talk me into having an afrtificial tree (back when we lived in Florida) and I hated it sooo much, I still cringe at the memory. As for all the others your suggestions made me smile :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. The flapjack looks just as I would expect it from my own oven. Reaching over for a corner to taste!
    Thanks for all the other tips and tricks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. One of the best posts ever! Especially the last tip. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. lol, all good advice (except maybe one)! I used to walk home from my grandmother's after watching scary movies--in the dark, down our dirt road, past the woods. It was exciting. :)

    It will be interesting to see if this is another "one more year" for a real tree.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh no, no fake tree for me. Partly because I have no place in the house to store one. But mostly because it just isn't a tree.

    But thanks for all that wonderful random advice. Just the kind of advice I like to get, sort of take it or leave it stuff. I don't have a dog, Martha the cat never goes out, and I don't live near the woods (although there was a crossbow murder in my vicinity a few years ago; in the library, no less).

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the wisdom from your varied life, Kristie. I've just borrowed my first Louise Penny mystery from the library and will start it as soon as I've finished my current book. Thank goodness I don't have a dog to walk. :-) As for Christmas trees, we don't have one now as we're always away over the festive seasons visiting the kids, who still have the real trees they remember from childhood.

    ReplyDelete