Saturday, November 9, 2013

Morroless and a Winner

A few weeks ago I got Mary Jane Mucklestone's latest book, Fair Isle Style.


Often when I get a new knitting book I'll thumb through the pages and find one, or maybe if I'm really lucky, two projects I would like to knit. Not so with this book. There are at least a half dozen projects that caught my eye, and one I knew I needed to cast on right away - the Morroless Socks.

These socks are knit with Jamieson & Smith 2 ply jumper weight yarn, which I love.


In the Shetland dialect the word morroless means "unmatched" or "odd."


These were a quick, easy knit, and I'm looking forward to wearing them now that the cold weather has arrived.



I have never knit socks with Jamieson & Smith yarn before, so it will be interesting to see how they hold up. I don't mind if the heels felt a bit - it just makes them sturdier and less prone to getting holes in them. However, I don't want the foot or leg to felt or I will be forced to hand them down to Alexandra, and I am a selfish enough mom to want to keep these for myself.

Now for the winner of the Ting Ting giveaway! Thanks to everyone for leaving such kind comments. I wish I was able to give a book to every one of you! I used a random number generator, which is an upgrade from the last time I did a giveaway and literally wrote down names and put them in a hat. The winner is Perpetua! Please email me with your contact info, and I will pass it along to my publisher so she can get the book in the post.

23 comments:

  1. Congrats to Perpetua! Your socks are really cool. I love the colors and the story behind their mismatched-ness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer! I liked their Shetland name too, especially since I was just there for a visit in September.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I am wearing them for the first time today - it's grey and cold and rainy, so I can test out just how warm they are!

      Delete
  3. I love a bit of mis-match, and your socks are the cutest. Congratulations to Perpetua, a well-deserved random winner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mis-matched idea appeals to me too. :-)

      Delete
  4. Your socks are lovely! Great colour combo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah! I'm going to dig through my leftover bits of Shetland yarn to see if I can come up with enough to do another pair. Hopefully I can do as well picking out the colours as the designer did with this original pair.

      Delete
  5. Your socks are gorgeous and I love the idea of deliberate mismatch.:-)

    As for the book all i can say is WOW! This has made my day and I'm truly thrilled. Thanks so much, Kristie. I'm a child at heart and still reread childhood favourites, so I know I'll love it. :-))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats on winning the book, Perpetua! I will pass along your contact info to the publisher and hopefully the book should arrive within a couple weeks. That will give your eye a little more time to heal before you read it. :-)

      Delete
  6. Love the beautiful socks. As I have never knt with J&S yarn, will watch for a future post to see if they meet your expectations. (The curious sock-knitters need to know.)
    Congrats to Perpetua. I have just finished ordering my copy from the publisher. I am sure my Grand-daughter.will love the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gail! The J&S was very nice as far as the knitting went. The yarn is a bit sticky and rustic, which I quite like. I'll try to remember to show a picture of them at the end of the winter so you can see how they have held up.

      Thank you also for ordering the book. I hope your granddaughter enjoys it!

      Delete
  7. Ruth in Ontario, CanadaNovember 10, 2013 at 1:43 PM

    Those socks are beautiful! Perhaps I shouldn't tell you this, but I once used some leftover J&S for the heels and toes of my husband's socks, and sadly those areas both felted and got holes simultaneously. Mind you, he's hard on socks, and that particular pair was worn in his flying boots which mysteriously eroded the heels of all his wool socks. Here's hoping you'll have better luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting (and a little distressing!). I tend to not be hard on socks though, so hopefully I will have better luck than your husband. :-)

      Delete
  8. Oh thanks for such a nice review and I'm THRILLED you made the socks! I have found that if I hand wash socks I make with real shetland wool they last pretty well. I've had to darn the toes on occasion, but that's it. This last time I was in Shetland, I met Tom of Holland who is reviving the art of darning, and I mean ART! He calls it "visible mending" and it kind of makes you hope your socks will wear out! He's at Tomofholland . com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog, Mary Jane! I was just in Shetland in September. Isn't it the most amazing place? Thanks for the link to Tom of Holland. I'm headed over right now to see what he has to say about mending socks. :-)

      Delete
  9. These socks are great! I love to pull out my knitted socks to enjoy during the colder weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nadia! I agree with you - pulling out handknit wool socks is one of the best things about winter.

      Delete
  10. Your socks are gorgeous Kristie!!!Super cute. Lovely colours and the yarn looks so warm and squishy. And congratulations to Perpetua on winning your book - lucky lady :-) Mel x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mel! I'm going to wear the socks for the first time today. :-)

      Delete
  11. Love the socks Kristie, they look so cosy and warm and the colours are gorgeous.
    Patricia x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm wearing them right now, Patricia, and they are very cosy! Thanks!

      Delete
  12. Congratulations to Perpetua. Those socks are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete