Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Strike Two

I'm sure there isn't a single person reading this who hasn't had a bad moment with their computer. Well, over the past week I have had two bad moments. The first happened when I was down at my mom's. Kath and I had been looking forward to getting together so we could exchange the pictures from our trip. I took my computer down so we could transfer Kath's pictures onto it, and I also took my camera card so I could transfer my pictures to her computer.

This was a great plan, except for I forgot one small detail. Kath doesn't have a laptop. Instead, she brought a thumb drive to put my pictures on, and also to transfer her pictures onto my computer. I stared at it when she pulled it out of her purse and said I sure hoped she knew how to use a thumb drive, because I had no clue. She stared back, then told me she had no clue and just assumed I would know what to do. I told her as far as computers go I am an idiot savant, and the idiot part is definitely more dominant than the savant.

We plugged the drive into my computer and to our surprise discovered it wasn't hard to figure out how to export my pictures. It all looked good right up until the moment when it informed us Kath's thumb drive didn't have enough room to hold all of them (we took a lot of pictures on the trip).

No problem we thought. All we needed to do was transfer her pictures to my computer first, then erase them so there were be enough room. We watched as 800+ pictures flashed in front of us as the import was happening, thinking we were way smarter than we had given ourselves credit for. We held onto that happy thought right up until the moment I clicked on the event folder in iPhoto and discovered it was empty. Like so many other times in my life I decided there was nothing to do but fall back on Einstein's definition of insanity. We tried three times, and I'm sure you can guess the result.

Our new plan is to use Dropbox. We have succeeded in creating a shared folder, but neither of us has attempted to put any pictures in it yet. It's like a computer game of Chicken. We are each holding out, waiting for the other one to make the first move.

Fast forward to yesterday. I had something on my computer that I needed to export. Something that I have been working on for quite some time. Something that looked quite nice while it was in the safe confines of the program, but something that looked like the dog's breakfast when I tried to get it out. Not good. I will spare you the details, and also the bad language.

I'm so thankful to be living where I do. In the midst of technology glitches it's so nice to be able to take a deep breath, grab a rain jacket, and head out my front door and be surrounded by trees and mountains. Right now the street in our neighbourhood is covered in cedar needles and leaves. I love the way this leaf looks like the tips have been dipped in a pot of red paint.



Then, later in the day, I suddenly remembered my Korknisse. Putting them in my kitchen window sill, decorated in their fall sweaters and hats, was like welcoming back some old friends.


Today's update on the export problem is that it has been fixed. More or less. As for that shared folder in Dropbox, I just checked and it remains empty. 

“If the automobile had followed the same development as the computer, a Rolls Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and explode once a year killing everyone inside. ” 
― Robert Cringely

26 comments:

  1. Oh dear computers can cause lots of problems sometimes! Glad one of your problems is fixed hope you manage to get the share drive to work and don't loose any of the wonderful pictures from your holiday. It must have been wonderful to get away from it by going on a walk.
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is very much a matter of "can't live with them, can't live without them."

      Thankfully Kath and I aren't in danger of losing our holiday pictures. We just can't seem to be able to transfer them to each other's computer. I have high hopes for Dropbox!

      Delete
  2. Hope you get your computer problems fixed soon Kristie. There nothing more frustrating when they won't do what you want them to do. I love those little Korknisse people, they are adorable all dressed for winter. Never heard of them before or are they your own invention/creation? Your walk sounds beautiful.
    Patricia x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't those Korknisse terrific? I made them several years ago, and have both a fall and winter wardrobe for them. Which, now that I think about it, probably makes them better dressed than me. Ha! The pattern can be found on Ravelry. They're lots of fun to knit!

      Delete
  3. Argggh! I feel for you, Kristie. I'm very fortunate to have a computer-savvy husband, but even he can't fix everything. I love the red-tipped leaf, but love the little Korknisse even more. I've done a bit of googling and can feel a new craze coming on... :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Be very careful...those Korknisse are highly addictive. :-)

      Delete
  4. Walking away is the best option for me when those things happen, preferably out of doors, even without mountains. I need to get a new laptop, but want to clean up my photos etc. before I do that. Should keep me from moving ahead with the purchase for quite a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, walking away helped me maintain my sanity. Of course, the minute I got back I sat down and started working with it again because it was driving me nuts. :-)

      Good luck with getting your photos sorted in preparation for buying a new computer!

      Delete
  5. I loved the idiot savant remark!
    My husband seems to have the kiss of death for computers....when I hear the squawk from the other end of the house I take a deep breath - and leg it for the garden before the idiot savant is called upon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I can just see you scurrying out to the garden before your free computer crisis skills can be accessed. :-)

      Delete
  6. Oh, boy, what a pain. I don't have great computer skills either and have to rely on my husband for the major things. I hope you get it sorted out soon. I love your cork people and that leaf is really distinctive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am lucky to have a son-in-law who is a computer whiz. It's how I got the Ting Ting book link in my side bar. :-) But unfortunately there was no way he could help me with the latest problem. It was a program that was causing the trouble, not the actual computer. I'm glad you have your husband to rely on!

      Delete
  7. The Korknisse!!! Thumb drives are a great invention...when everything works properly. Most come with pre-loaded software that is completely unnecessary and just makes everything more complicated. Anyway, my wife and I ended up buying a large capacity external storage drive to backup all of our photos and important files--for the time when our Rolls explodes. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As if to demonstrate my total lack of computer skills, I actually put my response to your comment below in the comment thread. ha!

      Delete
  8. Now following you and YAY new friend. SO happy to be following your beautiful BLOG !!! And I am computer challenged girl … SO I totally get not knowing on some of that stuff. LOL . Glad that you all worked it out. NOW Im off to look at all your awesome posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for becoming a follower, Sherry! It's nice to meet another computer challenged person. :-)

      Delete
  9. You have probably been reading my blog longer than just about anyone else, Rick. Which means you have seen those Korknisse appear here way more times than anyone should have to. :-)

    Isn't that quote about the Rolls exploding hilarious? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kristen, I am so glad you popped over to visit me, because I am now following you. Your blog is fascinating, so full of life. I am so impressed with your knitting, and to find out you are a new author is terrific. I wish you the very best with your book. So sorry about your computer problems.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to my blog, Meredith! I finally have my computer problems sorted out. :-)

      Delete
  11. How annoying for you, I'm no good at computer either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it has been a week of wanting to pull my hair out strand by strand. Ha! It's all sorted out now though. :-)

      Delete
  12. I love Dropbox. After my Dad's funeral, I set up a shared Dropbox so that the family could share pictures we took. It was the first time in many years that we were all in the same place at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am finding I really like Dropbox. That was a great idea to use it to share the pictures from your dad's funeral. How are things in Kelowna?

      Delete
  13. I sometimes forget how lucky I am to both get computers and live in a house with two computer geeks, the two things obviously being connected. Dropbox is great ... just take a deep breath and do it guys x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many of you live with geeks! I'm starting to get jealous. The closest I come is having a daughter who is married to a geek, and they live too far away for him to be able to make house calls. :-)

      Delete