Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Glancing Back, Looking Ahead

As we journey through life there is only one direction we can go, and that is forward. But I think there are times that it's helpful to take a glance back at the road we have recently travelled. So before I look ahead to 2014, I would like to take a look back on 2013, a year that was beyond anything I could have imagined 365 days ago!

Here is where I thought I was headed at the beginning of 2013, along with updates:

  1. I hope to get a book published this year.  Getting Ting Ting published was a dream come true. It has been an amazing experience from start to finish. I still can't believe it actually happened!
  2. I would like to go to Shetland, and also possibly Wales and Scotland. Not only did I make it to Shetland and Wales, I also managed to see some of the Cotswolds. I have so many great memories from my travels with Kath, Melissa, John, Gill and Jean, not to mention a bit more souvenir yarn that has been added to my stash! 
  3. I would love to move to a small cabin on a few acres somewhere, anywhere where there are trees. It is starting to feel like time to leave Kamloops. We might not be on a few acres, but I'm okay with that. I love our cottage, and we are definitely surrounded by those trees I was longing for. Back in January this move didn't seem remotely possible, yet here we are!
  4. 2013 seems like a good year to become a grandparent. It was definitely a good year to become a grandparent! In a year filled with so many wonderful things, Lucy tops the list.
  5.  I hope to knit several of the patterns out of the Colours of Shetland book by Kate Davies. I would like this to be the year I knit my souvenir yarn - the cashmere from my trip to China and the yarn from Scotland. After all, if I make it to Shetland I will need that room in my stash for all the Jamieson & Smith yarn I intend to come home with! I hope to knit at least a few of the fun things out of the Arne and Carlos books. And last but not least, I know several people having babies, so there will definitely be some baby knitting in 2013. This was a hit and miss category. I have yet to knit a single project out of Kate's book, although I am partway through her Northmavine hap. And does it count that I bought the yarn at J&S for her Scatness Tunic? As far as getting some of my souvenir yarn knit up, that was a complete miss. Which is probably why the Jamieson & Smith yarn I bought in Shetland is still in the bag I brought it home in - there's no room for it in my yarn bins. I did manage to knit Hannah from the Arne and Carlos Knitted Doll book, and I got loads of baby knitting done. 

I closed last year's list of the directions I would like to be heading in 2013 with these two sentences, having no idea at the time how true they would prove to be:

I think I should dub 2013 as The Year of Thinking Big! It will be interesting to see how it unfolds.

Our new home...


My book...


UK 2013...



Family...



Knitting...


And best of all, Lucy...


Now it's time to look forward. Here are my New Year Directions for 2014.


  1. I hope, with the help of some friends, to get a couple of garden boxes set up this spring. I really miss my garden, and am itching to be able to play in the dirt again. 
  2. I would like for this to be the "year of the memoir." I have wanted to get our family's adoption/homeschooling story written for some time. I have finished a first draft, but it needs to be completely reworked. It's a big undertaking, and not one I am confident I can succeed at, but I would like to at least make the effort. You may be seeing bits and pieces of the story on this blog if all goes as planned.
  3. I would like to get another book published this year. It's such a short sentence for such a big thing!
  4. On the knitting front I am doing something odd and not setting any goals. I'm going to see where my needles take me this year. I'm still firmly entrenched in my Fair Isle phase, and don't see that ending any time soon. There will be more knitting for Lucy, and maybe another Arne and Carlos Knitted Doll. Ellen and I have established another Self-Imposed Sock Club, but this time have decided to skip June, July, and August as that was when we fell apart with our last Self-Imposed Club. 
  5. On the travel front, if all goes as planned there is going to be something a little different happening this year. My mom has stated that she would like to have her 80th birthday dinner in Las Vegas. She randomly told me this last time I was visiting her. I was driving down the road and almost drove in the ditch as she said it. Her birthday is in mid-February, so we need to get moving on this. Ellen and I have also been talking about going to Peru this spring, but given we are both a little short of funds, this seems like a long shot. 
  6. This year, for the first time ever, I am picking a word for the year. The word I have picked perfectly captures the direction I want to head in 2014, and I am quite excited about it. However, it deserves its own blog post, so more on it next time!
Thank you for journeying with me this past year. Happy New Year to each one of you!

"You are never too old to set another goal or dream another dream."  C.S. Lewis

17 comments:

  1. I have some of the same dreams you had for 2013, only I didn't put dates on mine! Perhaps that's where I went wrong. :-) I love your cabin in the woods. Are there more photos somewhere for me to see?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your dreams work out in 2014, Cathy. There's nothing wrong with fast forwarding them a year! That's why I stopped making resolutions. It always felt like a failure when they didn't happen. Having directions you are headed instead is nice because if you end up doing something different it isn't a failure, just a change of direction. :-)

      Here's a link to the post I wrote right after we moved here. It has a few more pictures.
      http://journeynorthof49.blogspot.ca/2013/07/mossy-green-way.html

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the link, Kristie. I love your view! I see you have neighbors. Are they all year-round residents? Yes..."having directions" is a good way to look at it. It reminds me of one of Tasha Tudor's favorite quotes by Henry David Thoreau that she paraphrased: If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.

      Delete
  2. You've had a huge year! This is awesome to read, you really did it up big. I love your mother, I just have to say. She sounds like a real firecracker and I laughed at your comment about almost driving into the ditch! I'm glad you didn't, but I can totally picture the feeling you must have had. I wish you and your family health and happiness in 2014. I'm really glad we connected. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, Kristie, and wonderful to read over what has been a big year for you. You have achieved much, and of course Lucy is the best thrill of all! I really like your Directions list too, which is much gentler than Resolutions. Good luck with the knitting, travel, and another book, too. Your Mum is a treat (I remember the story about her driving) - I'll bet she has you is Las Vegas before you know it! Wishing you a very Happy New Year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you really made 2013 happen for you! Can't wait to see what you get up to in 2014! Happy new Year! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy new year, what a truly wonderful 2013 you had and as you say Lucy is #1 and always will be. Good luck in achieving you 2014 goals

    ReplyDelete
  6. Directions rather than resoltuions...I think you have that right!
    Have a great New year ahead....I'm just imagining my mother at Vegas thanks to your post!
    Probably heckling the performers....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Look at all you accomplished!! 2013 was a blessing and now onto 2014 with gusto.
    Hugs and Happy New Year,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy New Year!
    I'm sure 2014 will be all you hope for.
    Love the quote at the end!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow you certainly achieved all your goals in 2013. It has been wonderful to have seen them all achieved throughout the year. Wishing you and your family a very Happy 2014 and that would be a fantastic way to celebrate your Mum's 80th!
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  10. 2013 sounds like an amazing success good luck with your 2014 list.
    Wishing you a happy and healthy 2014 x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kristie, you packed a whole lot into 2013 and I'm impressed that you met your goals --with aplomb, too! But I have to say, I'm partial to Lucy. What an adorable baby!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, what a year you've had. It was a pleasure to 'travel' a small portion of it with you. Looking forward to what 2014 brings!

    ReplyDelete
  13. 2013 was certainly a red letter year for you and your family. I hope 2014 brings more of the same.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my ears and whiskers, I'm late coming to this post, Kristie, but I loved it. How very satisfying to see how many of last year's plans came to fruition for you in one way or another. Here's to another happy and productive year.

    ReplyDelete