Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Out of Sync

I mentioned in a recent post that I was trying out Whispersync. This is something Amazon provides that allows you to sync your Kindle books and Audible books across devices. I have used it many times to sync between my Kindle and the Kindle app on my iPad. But this was my first time using it to sync between an Audible book and my Kindle.

Well, I should back up and admit it's the second time to try using it between my Kindle and Audible. The first time reminded me of last fall when I stood on the road trying to get the Nike app on my iPhone to work, only to realize after multiple attempts that I was wearing my hikers, not my Nike runners with the chip in them that communicates with the app.

I had the book loaded on my Kindle and the wi-fi enabled. I started listening to the Audible book through iTunes, and when I went to pick up the written version was excited to see if it would work. It didn't. Nothing I did would make the two communicate. At least when I had the Nike app incident it only took a matter of minutes for me to figure things out. This time it took about a day until the realization dawned on me that if I wanted my Audible book to communicate with my Kindle book I needed to be listening to the Audible book through the Audible app, not through iTunes.

So fast forward to my first successful attempt at using Whispersync. After going back and forth with it while reading/listening to the last book in the Julia Spencer-Fleming series I have to say I have mixed feelings about the experience. On the plus side, it was great to be able to switch to the Audible version and listen while I knit Toatie Hottie. I can't read and knit Fair Isle at the same time, so this allowed me to keep moving forward in the story. I didn't have to choose between finding out how the book ended or making pompoms.

On the negative side, I have to say it was rather jarring to make the switch. Imagine you are watching a movie, and about every twenty minutes the actors get completely changed. It was sort of like that. We all create the voices and images in a written story in our minds, and what we create is unique to each of us as readers. I think this is one of the reasons movies based on well-loved books so often disappoint. They never match the story as we saw and heard it in our mind. At least when you see the movie adaptation you aren't going back and forth between the two.

I'm not saying I won't ever do another Audible/Kindle combo like this, but I don't think I'll try it again any time soon. Have any of you tried using Whispersync? I would love to hear what your thoughts are. Maybe after using it for a few books it doesn't feel as out of sync.

Not that this has anything to do with the subject of this post, but I thought I would mention I finally got around to getting a haircut. This is a big deal for me. It takes me about three months of telling myself I need shearing before I can force myself to call for the appointment. I detest sitting there covered in a hideous cape, inhaling all the chemical smells, and having to make small talk with a complete stranger.

I'm not good at small talk. Especially with strangers. This time we got on a topic I thought I could safely maneuver - dogs. I mentioned something about pit bulls, something not very complimentary, because, after all, with the exception of drug dealers everyone is afraid of pit bulls, right? Wrong. It turns out she used to own and love a pit bull. There are two people you don't want to upset when you are sitting in their chair. The dentist with his drill and the hairdresser with her scissors.

The other thing I detest about getting a haircut is having to sit there and look at myself the whole time. There was one point in the ordeal when my hair was wet, which makes it go mostly straight, and she was pulling the front edges forward and down (this was before the pit bull comment, or I would have been very worried). The thought that went through my head, was, "Oh dear, I look just like Severus Snape." If the cape draped over my shoulders had been black instead of blue I would have been a dead ringer. Not quite the look I was hoping for.

I hate to leave you with that image, so will leave you with this one instead. Although today is rainy and grey, last week we had several days of glorious weather. I took advantage of it to walk down to the point where Frost Creek flows into Cultus Lake. It was quiet and peaceful, with only the sound of the birds in the trees and the water gently lapping up on the shore. I feel very fortunate to live in this little corner of Canada.






32 comments:

  1. Ah, the water scene...so tranquil. I leave my hair long enough that I can trim it myself. It seems I can never find a hairdresser to make me look the way I WANT to look! As for the Whispersync....can't help you there. No experience in using it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tranquil is the perfect word, Cathy. It is a very lovely spot. You are lucky to be able to manage trimming your own hair. You are saved from having a "Snape moment" that way. :-)

      Delete
  2. I've never used Whispersync, so I'm no help, but it sounds like it could be really useful when it works well. I know exactly what you mean about getting a haircut. I can't stand looking at myself for that long. I know that makes me sound like I have issues, but it's true. It drives me nuts. I become very self-critical in my head. And I would have said something similar about pit bulls because I agree with you. But where I live, people seem to clamor to raise the scariest dogs available in the world today and I can't say anything because the people are also scary and seem like they might actually kill me, if their dogs don't get to me first. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to take comfort in the fact I'm not the only one who doesn't like sitting and looking at themselves while they get a haircut. :-)

      That's awful that there are so many scary dogs where you live. Does you city have a dangerous dog bylaw or any rules saying they must be fenced?

      Delete
  3. I have always wondered what Whispersync is... I assumed it was some kind of super quality audio version.
    I go to the hairdresser twice a year (in a good year). My hairdresser insists in a shiatsu massage (which translates into a rough and unpleasant scalp scratching really). Add to this the terrible coffee, the dry cellophane wrapped biscuit and the small talk and hey presto, a bad dream is in full swing. My stylist always assumes I have something special planned for the evening, it must be because for most of the year I look slightly mad and cannot possibly be seen in public. As for pit bulls, I am not sure what is more scary, the owners or the dogs...Cx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Twice a year is my maximum number of visits to the hairdresser, too. Most years I only make it once. That massage thing sounds just awful. In fact, your whole experience has made me feel like maybe mine wasn't so bad after all! :-)

      Delete
    2. This reminds me of when I lived in Japan (many years ago) and had to go for a haircut. I was shocked when the stylist began pounding on my head and shoulders! Never had that happen in this country yet....

      Delete
  4. Ruth in Ontario, CanadaJanuary 29, 2014 at 12:53 PM

    The lake lapping at the shore -- wait, is this late January in Canada??? Our lake is frozen so solid that it's a favourite venue for snowmobilers, sigh...I think the not wanting to look at oneself during a haircut must be universal. The biggest drawback to leaving Ottawa last summer was that I lost my long-time trusted stylist and it took a year to find someone almost as good within reasonable driving distance. Finding a new doctor was easy by comparison!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really more like March around here right now. Even in a colder winter I don't think Cultus Lake freezes over. The smaller lakes around Kamloops do though. They usually have people ice fishing out on them. The snowmobilers out on your lake must be quite noisy.

      Delete
  5. That scene is just lovely...very tranquil and calming in the midst of our election fever.
    I can't even get Kindle to work...so goodness knows what ungodly stramash I'd make of whispersync.

    Hairdressers! I like to have mine cut in London at a place suggested by a good friend ...super Italian family who do a lovely job...but I too hate looking in the mirror!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your election sounds pretty wild! I'm still cheering for the candidate with the wife who is the dentist. :-)

      London is a very long ways for you to have to go for a haircut. That's even worse than me having to take my mom down to where she used to live to get her hair done.

      I wonder why you haven't been able to get your Kindle to work.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful photo!
    The advantage of glasses - I take them off and disappear into my blurred world where I can't investigate my image as I can't see it all that well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a beautiful day, Kate. I think it would have been one of the days you had fog. You definitely have the advantage when it comes to haircuts. I wouldn't normally wish for bad eyesight, but it would be nice for this one thing. :-)

      Delete
  7. I hate haircuts too, been putting mine off for about a year now. I do have to do it though, the split ends are getting very nasty. I hate how long it takes though and that I can't do something through it, most things I knit through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, Rachelle. If it was just possible to do something (that something being knitting, of course) during the haircut it wouldn't be so bad.

      Delete
  8. The topics my hairdresser talks about are very predictable but wasted on me.....holidays (I rarely go on one), Christmas (I'm glad when it's over), tea and coffee (If I wanted one I'd drink it at home). Apart from that they do quite a good hair cut!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think one of the skill sets required to be a hairdresser is the ability to make small talk. At least you get a good haircut where you go. The only thing worse than having to endure the whole thing is to end up being unhappy with the end result.

      Delete
  9. I feel your pain about the hair salon experience. I used to go to a stylist who barely acknowledged me when I spoke because she was too busy chatting with the other stylists. I ditched her several years ago and now go to someone who I'm very comfortable with. We chat about our families a lot and she actually remembers what we've talked about -- overall I'm much happier with the whole experience now.

    And may I just agree with you that you are indeed blessed to live within walking distance of that incredible view. I'd give anything to live in a peaceful place like that! ~ Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you found a replacement for the rude stylist, Kim. I'm surprised that someone that rude could hold onto a job that involves interacting with people. And it wouldn't surprise me at all to hear that some day soon you find your own peaceful place to move to. :-)

      Delete
  10. I am a big Audible listener and a big kindle reader. I had the same disconnect sort of experience with Whispersync. It technically works, but it's not a comfortable switch in either direction. I gave up. I simply have 2 books going at any given time -- one on my kindle and one on my iphone.. As long as they are dissimilar in plot and place, I can keep them separate in my head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's interesting that you had the same experience of disconnect as I did. I have done the 2 books at a time thing too, and after this experience I am going back to it.

      Delete
  11. Oh you made me laugh, I had to get my hair cut! i look like such a freak, i used to get my hair colored, they would put me in these pieces of foil and I looked like something out of Star Wars. No more of that for me, just a quick cut and I am done.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Star Wars and Harry Potter would have been fine if we were getting ready for Halloween. :-)

      Delete
  12. How did the haircut turn out? I just had a haircut and as always my wife doesn't like it. She prefers how I look when I need a haircut--a little shaggy. She remembers the 15 boy with long hair that I used to be (long ago). :)
    You're way ahead of me on the Kindle and syncing...I have zero experience and zero confidence I could get it to work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The haircut is fine. She didn't use her scissors to teach me a lesson about pit bulls, although it kind of would have gone with the stereotype if she had. :-)

      Delete
  13. LOL, you are so funny. Show us your new haircut...(I would need one dearly, but I have this resolution , no haircut until certain things are solved... its getting rathe lon unfortunately)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My haircut will show up here eventually. It isn't anything special - still all one length, just shorter. I hope you are able to get your haircut very soon. :-)

      Delete
  14. I don't have long hair but like to keep it the length I'm happy with. It doesn't grow quickly either. To keep the style though I have to have it trimmed every so often and would really like to come home looking just as I went out! I dread having it done as it would take ages to grow again if she slipped up with her scissors and took too much off. Whare are we girls like? Lol . Love the photo
    Patricia x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's that slip of the scissors that worries me too, Patricia. Which is why I was sorry I had criticized pit bulls. :-)

      Delete
  15. Naturally, I had to scroll down to your earlier post to learn the identity of the mysterious "Toatie Hottie", which was worth doing. I dare not face my naked hot water bottle now and witness the shame it must feel, not being similarly clothed.

    I confess to chuckling as I read about the harrowing hair appointment. Perhaps an attractive end result helped lessen the anguish. I'm assuming the resemblance to Severus Snape was short lived. The fantastic scenic shot did help rid me of the frightening image.

    This was such an enjoyable read for me, Kristie. Thanks

    -Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Toatie Hottie cover is great, but keep in mind it is meant for a small hot water bottle, not a standard size one. Kate said there can be quite a difference in the measurements for the smaller hot water bottles, so she couldn't guarantee her cover would fit all small sizes.

      Happily I didn't end up looking like Snape. :-)

      Delete
  16. What a gorgeous view! I no longer have the hairdresser agony as I now cut my own hair. I started after paying a small fortune to a supposedly first-class hairdresser who just wouldn't listen to what i wanted. I disliked the result so much I took the scissors to it as soon as I got home and have been doing my own hair ever since. I'd been cutting DH's hair for decades, so had honed my scissor skills. :-)

    I used to listen to audio books a lot when I had to do a great deal of driving for work, but haven't had one for years. My e-reader is a Nook not a Kindle, so I've never heard of Whispersync. I feel deprived. :-)

    ReplyDelete