Friday, February 7, 2014

Pick a Country

I was anxious for the Opening Ceremony to start this morning. I was sitting in front of my computer, cup of tea, knitting needles and yarn by my side, ready to cast on my Olympics project the minute coverage started. My goal was to get a picture of my yarn with the Canadians marching into the stadium in the background, and then blog about my grandiose knitting plans for the 2014 Winter Games.


Then something different happened. I had been feeling a little sorry for myself leading up to this Olympics. Last time around there was such excitement given they were being held in our backyard (well, almost). And in the years before the Vancouver Games I always had some combination of kids at home, and we loved watching the Olympics together.

When they were young we would put our regular homeschool work on hold during the Olympics and turn the event into a learning experience. We studied the country where they were being held, worked on geography (colouring the various participating countries' flags was a favourite activity), and read stories that related to the Olympics and sports. I distinctly remember all those years ago projecting into the future, thinking how sad it would be once they were grown up and that stage of learning/living/loving was past.

And you know what? I was right. I was kind of sad when the Opening Ceremonies started and there were no little people sitting around watching, crayons and markers in hand, filling in the maps of the countries marching by. I'm not the kind of person who spends inordinate amounts of time with both feet firmly planted in the past. But every once in awhile something comes along, something like the Olympics, that brings back those precious memories from years gone by and leaves me feeling more than a bit nostalgic. This morning, watching the coverage from Sochi, was one of those moments.

But you know what? Right after the Canadians marched in came the Chinese.


Then the Koreans.


The Romanians.


The Americans.


Thailand (yes they really do have an athlete in the Winter Olympics).


And last, but not least, the Russians.


I realized that time doesn't stand still, and if it did my flag collection would be a lot smaller.


And there's a new little person who will soon be colouring with crayons and markers.


I sure hope she likes flags!

28 comments:

  1. I love your flag display for the Olympics, they are a great event and I hope that these games go really well. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy, those flags aren't just for the Olympics. I guess I should have explained this for newer readers. They are the flags that represent the countries of origin for our family members. We have three internationally adopted children, and two of my kids have spouses who were born outside of Canada. The flags sit in a small holder on top of one of our bookshelves. :-)

      Delete
    2. And I meant to say I hope these games go well too!

      Delete
    3. How brilliant Kristie!! That is so nice that you all have your different flags - I assumed they were just ones that you had collected over time, I didn't realise they had a personal connection, this just makes it even better!! xx

      Delete
  2. Those (now grown) kids will remember the flag coloring and all those interactive lessons you taught...every time they see the Olympics, too. What a great tradition!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear little Lucy, what a sweetie! I didn't know about your little flag collection, but now I do - so many countries of origin in your family, which is perfectly wonderful. I can see why the Olympic march-ins are of such interest in your household; we love them too, just because. :) I'm off to watch my recording of it all now. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the photo of the flags and wool together. I'm hoping to watch quite a lot of these games especially the skiing and ice skating.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The competitor from Thailand is Vanessa Mae the world famous violinist. I'm a fairly new reader but I guessed what the flags represented!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is just wonderful to embrace the world in your family Kristie. I bet your children were watching the opening ceremony with fond memories, too, maybe even placing their own flags.
    Lucy is a wee angel! Cx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your post today Kristen, it is so hard for me to let things go in the past, but you are right you have a darling little one to work with. I think your children were so lucky (and still are) to have you as a Mom, making learning such a fun experience.
    Hugs to you and enjoy your Olympic knitting.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kristie, even though our family has never been big Olympic fans I did give my youngest an "Olympic" birthday party when he was in elementary school (can't remember which year it was now!). His older brothers helped man the different "events" he and his friends competed in. Special memories from the past that involve our children are indeed precious! I love your idea of the flags. We can only claim two--American and Mexican--but who knows, our third son has yet to marry.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your flag collection is a great way of acknowledging the countries of origin of members of your family.
    No Costa Ricans in the Winter Olympics...

    ReplyDelete
  10. My goodness: how can your grand-daughter be crawling already? I must say that you look wonderful in the Boreal sweater.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your Olympic memories are even better than mine, which are wonderful. I look forward to seeing Lucy join you in the "viewing stand" with crayons at the ready.
    -- stashdragon

    ReplyDelete
  12. Go Team Hammond!!! She'll love the flags.

    I'm the same way. Living in the present, but occasionally something sparks a trip down memory lane.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so touch that you have international adopted children and raised them well while also remind them of their origins. What a generous person. :'-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gee, the idea of colouring flags and maps kind of appeals to me...even as a grown-up. In your place I think I might have whipped out my crayons and coloured pencils instead of knitting during the opening ceremonies. I guess I'm easily amused...ha!
    (Ruth in Ontario)

    ReplyDelete
  15. That sounds like a fun thing you did with your children.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for dropping by my blog. I had the tv on on Friday while my family were here with me watching the Olympic opening. We recounted how we'd been hooked on the games when they were young staying up, watching, the ice skating and the curling not caring that it was the middle of the night.
    Hope you enjoy the rest of the games!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the thought of your international family learning and enjoying so much through the Olympics. You gave them a fine start in life, Kristie. Over here in the UK we're celebrating our first ever Olympic medal on snow. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. A very nostalgic post ... please pass the tissues :] I know exactly how you feel with my oldest away in university I feel the tugs already, and missing all the little love notes from her & exuberant drawings from my son. But like you say, you can't stand still, and there's so much more to look forward to. Your granddaughter is adorable and the new face in your future. Wendy x

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have a distant relative who volunteered for the Vancouver Games and found it to be so exciting Sorry you mised the company of children. That's nice to know however that for the next Olympics Lucy will be able to do some colouring with you. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  20. I can see how homeschooling your kids must have been so much fun. Sorry for the sad feelings, but I'm sure you'll have Lucy coloring flags before you know it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a heart lifting post. You and your family have connections to so many corners of the globe ... such a special thing :)


    I'd also put money on their being quite a few little someones colouring beside you in the years ahead :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lovely Post Kristie......I'm sad at having the Twins at full-time school this year and they are only down the road at School for a few hours, how am I going to be when they are all grown up and leaving home? I just can't imagine....And goodness, is Lucy crawling already?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you for following and leaving a comment on my Blog Lilbitbrit.

    The size of tin of kidney beans one should use is approx 1 lb. I have updated the recipe on my blog.

    Now I am going to take a look at life at North of 49.

    I bet it's cold.

    Take care,
    Christy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thank you for following my blog and getting back to me about the size of tin I need to make the bean burgers. I'm looking forward to reading your blog!

      Delete