Sunday, March 16, 2014

Small Stuff

I'm not usually a fair weather walker. I don't mind going out when it is a bit rainy or windy. But for some reason it has been all I can do to make myself go out the door and into the elements the past couple of days. I think it was that first little hint of spring that I got earlier in the week that did me in. We had several days where the sun was not only shining, it was actually warm! I have been enjoying the crocus and snow drops that some of our neighbours have planted, and have made a mental note to be sure and put in some bulbs this fall. I'm anxious to get my garden boxes in and plant some seeds, and to take my kayak out on the lake for the first time this year. In other words, I'm done with winter.

Then the rain came. And it hasn't stopped. Three mornings a week I walk over to the gym that's in the basement of the recreation centre and do some weight/resistance training.  I do this not because I enjoy it, but rather to keep my bones from disintegrating as I get older. When I woke up Friday morning to the sound of rain pounding down outside the bedroom window I didn't care if my bones turned to powder. There was no way I was walking over to the gym in that deluge.

Saturday brought more rain, but there was a small window of opportunity mid-morning when the clouds turned from black to light grey, so I forced myself out the door. I was gritting my teeth as I did the rather steep climb at the beginning of the trail. It felt like hiking in a rain forest, only without the heat. Then I had an idea. I decided to change my perspective, and started looking around to see what small things I could notice as I was walking.

There were tree knots...


A stump wearing a fern wig (which, with all this rain, closely resembles my hair)...

Fungi...


And lichen...


It helped. Before I knew it I had reached the top and was heading back down the hill. The downside to my plan was I tripped several times. It's hard to be searching the woods for interesting bits and see the tree roots on the path at the same time. Just as I got back to my car the skies opened up. I must confess I felt quite smug for the rest of the day. I had managed to squeeze my walk into the only dry hour of the whole day.

This next bit has nothing to do with exercise, but goes with the general theme of small stuff. A friend and I are getting together in a couple of weeks to have a bunny bee. We are making the Miss Maggie Rabbits from Posie Rosy Little Things. This is something we have had planned for quite some time. Which sounds way better than saying we bought the kits almost a year ago and have put off making them until now. Cindy sews and I knit, so we have done a pre-bunny bee swap. She is sewing the dresses and I am knitting the shawls and jumpers. I finished the first wee jumper yesterday. I put my phone by it so you can get an idea of its size.


It was weird knitting this, having no idea what size the rabbit who will be wearing it is, since it doesn't yet exist. It's not like I can just shrug my shoulders and think, "Oh well, if it's too big the rabbit can just grow into it." Which is what I do when I knit something for my favourite "small stuff."


30 comments:

  1. I would love to walk where you live, your walks are always so interesting. I am sure your hair is lovely, nothing like the fern, though the colors of the fern are really pretty. I can't wait to see your Maggie Rabbits. It was a great idea to swap the steps you're each proficient with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully there will be a proper Maggie Rabbit post in a couple of weeks. I'm kind of nervous about doing all the blanket stitch. A friend whose already made one said it took a long time to finish, and I have two rabbits I'm supposed to be doing.

      Delete
  2. I guess the grass is always greener...I've spent most of my life wishing I had hair that got curlier in the rain, instead of flatter and straighter! As for the rain itself, I might say that at least you don't have to shovel it (we've got more snow in next week's forecast), but frankly I'm no fonder of rain than I am of snow. Your pictures are beautiful, as always, and I too am all agog to see the finished bunnies. Liberty print dresses, no less! Makes me wish I had a little person to make things for...surely you'll keep one for yourself? -- Ruth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so true about the grass being greener on the other side of the fence. I don't mind the curl when it is under control, but when it gets this humid control wouldn't be the word that comes to mind. One of the rabbits is going to be for Lucy for her first birthday, and yes, I am keeping the other one.

      Delete
  3. My hair would look exactly the same under those conditions! Everything looks so lush and green out your way. I can hardly wait for our landscape to look the same....except it will never look lush--just overgrown. We have rampant ivy growing on our trees and various other vines. No moss, no ferns....but I'll take anything green at this point! We are expecting snow tonight! At least it will cover all the brown. I just looked out the window. It's ALREADY snowing! Wait, now it's not. Am I hallucinating snow now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very lush and green thanks to all the rain we get here. Most of the time I don't mind the rain, but when it comes down constantly for days it gets to be a bit much. I'm sorry you are going to get more snow. Snow should be illegal between March and November. :-)

      Delete
  4. Great photos of your walk, you can practically smell the damp vegetation in the woods. I made my daughter a Maggie rabbit for Christmas and found the knitted cape took the longest by far! Knitting is not my forte. I'd rather sew or crochet any day. But it all looked so cute when it came together. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny how we all have our areas of crafting weakness! I'm glad you were happy with your daughter's Christmas Maggie Rabbit. Hopefully I will feel the same with the rabbits I finish. My fear is they are going to end up looking like some other, far less appealing animal.

      Delete
  5. The hill sounds challenging, but your walk must be a beautiful one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure if the walk is challenging, or I'm just in bad shape! :-)

      Delete
  6. Love that stump wearing ferns - brilliant. You really live in a magnificent area and I would love to be walking there too! Little Lucy, standing already? Surely she is only about 3 months old?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time seems to zoom by when there's a baby involved. It does seem like she was just 3 months old, doesn't it? She started pulling herself up last week. It seems like she is doing something new every few days now. I need to get myself back to Victoria for another visit!

      Delete
  7. Those rabbits look so adorable! Winter...even though it is still cold here...the sun has changed...and everyone knows that Spring is just...over there....it's getting soooooo close.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Maggie Rabbits are irresistible. Have you ordered your kit yet? :-)

      Delete
  8. great photos, we are enjoying some lovely spring weather, long may it last

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, when you are done with your lovely spring weather could you please send it over to us? :-)

      Delete
  9. I know, sometimes the weather is just too much! I came here from Maria's blog - you've won her giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to my blog! Thanks for letting me know I won the giveaway! And yes, sometimes the weather is more than too much. :-)

      Delete
  10. What a tiny jumper, I find the smaller things are the harder they are to knit. Can't wait to see the finished and dressed Maggie Rabbits.
    Your walk looked lovely, the fungi looked huge. Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes the smaller things are harder to knit, but that wasn't the case with the little jumper. It is knit top down, and once the increases were completed it was big enough around to knit on 16" circulars. I probably shouldn't have mentioned that I'm planning to make Maggie Rabbits. Now even if they end up looking like road kill I'll still feel like I need to show them on my blog. Ha!

      Delete
  11. The climate in your parts of the world must be so similar to ours in Scotland. I feel like being in the nearby countryside when I look at your beautiful photos. Everything is still waterlogged here at the moment but as soon as it dries out a little, I'll going for nice long walk (remembering to bring my camera). My hair looks like the hippy fern when it gets humid, too.... But I rarely sport the neat look anyway and most people wouldn't notice the difference! I am looking forward to your rabbit post. My only attempt at making a knitted rabbit resulted in a creature with androgen fuelled hips and rabbit ears. It was never a popular toy. I am much better with monkeys. Have a lovely week Kristie. Cx
    Oh, I forgot to mention, we are all fighting over the Canadian mittens, I found them in Sam's belongings the other day and he said they are meant to be his.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are right about our climates being similar, Christina. As far as the hippy fern hair, it is hard to explain to someone who doesn't have similar hair exactly what happens when there's a lot of moisture in the air. I thought that fern was a great example. :-)

      I'm glad the mittens are popular enough to be causing fights. Ha!

      Delete
  12. Stunning photos of your walk Kristie and what a Joy it must be to live in such fantastic surroundings. Love that little dress and look forward to seeing completed rabbits. The sun is shining here in my part of the UK today and everything is looking good in the garden - most probably due to the excessive rain we had in February. Have a great week.
    Patricia x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm quite happy with how the dress turned out. I still have three more to knit, so I'm sure I'll be tired of them by the time I finish. I'm so happy for you that you finally are getting some sunshine, and that your garden is looking good. Have a great week!

      Delete
  13. Your tree stump with the fern wig made me smile! Do Fergus or Jenny join you on your walks? Your rabbit outfit looks tiny and Lucy seems to have grown so much. Hope spring reappears for you soon. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In hindsight I should have asked someone to take a picture of me standing by the fern head. You would have mistaken us for twins. :-)

      Delete
  14. I do not care for March...at all. 70 degrees, then 30. Windy, rainy, then snow. Then it's back to 70 and super breezy, which usually makes me sick. Blah!
    But, you found some really interesting things in the woods. Nature is beautiful in every season, even the one I don't like. :)

    PS - That is the wee-ist jumper I've ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. March has a lot in common with the Vancouver Canucks hockey team. First they build up your hopes, then they go on a losing streak and you end up feeling totally deflated. I stopped following them years ago, but there doesn't seem to be a way to opt out of March. Ha!

      Delete