Thursday, April 24, 2014

April Hygge

This month's hygge post is about one of the most important aspects of hygge, and that is friendship. I am actually having a difficult time composing this post, and have written and deleted things multiple times. Usually I am only at a loss for words in person. It's a strange experience to be stuttering like this on my computer. The problem is the subject.

It should be an easy thing to write about the importance of friendship, and how much my friends mean to me. But that's the catch. It's hard to find words for the kinds of friends I have been blessed with in my life. Some of those friendships go back decades, and include acts of self-sacrifice and kindness above and beyond what anyone could ever ask of a friend. In the very best of times they have been there for me, and in times of crisis they have been there as well. Solid, dependable, with listening ears and loving hearts.

Some of my friendships have been formed in more recent years. I am so grateful that as our family journeyed from Nelson to Richmond, then on to Kamloops, that I have had the good fortune to meet such awesome people along the way. And now, through my blog, I have made friends all around the world! Some of you I have met in person, and some of you I have talked to on the phone, exchanged emails with, or got to know through the comments we have left on each other's blogs.

One such friend is Patricia, from the Red Cardinal blog. Patricia recently had a give-away on her blog, and I was the lucky winner! I couldn't believe it when I unwrapped the parcel Patricia had sent and saw what was inside. Patricia is from Australia, and I loved how each of the items reflected something from her country. Jewelry, books on Aborigines and their artwork, bookmarks, a potholder, a tea bag holder, an eye glass cleaning cloth featuring the painting Under the Jacaranda, and some Wattle Fairy material - every single item had meaning.


She even included a lorikeet finger puppet for Lucy! Thank you so much for the lovely gifts Patricia, and for the thoughtfulness you put into each item.


This next item is quite amazing. I still can't believe it. A few weeks ago my friends Bob and Cindy came to spend the day. While Cindy and I worked on cutting out Maggie Rabbits, Bob was busy in our backyard putting together two cedar garden boxes he had made for me. One is at the side of our cottage.


The other one is at the back.


They know how much I love gardening, and how much I missed my Kamloops garden boxes, so decided to give me these as a housewarming present. These boxes are a work of art. Bob cut the cedar  himself, and the wood is beautiful to look at. I admire them every time I go outside or look out my windows. But wait, there's more!

You'll notice the boxes are filled with lovely, dark topsoil. A few days after Bob and Cindy were here, my friends Ellen and John came out with their truck. We met at a garden store in Chilliwack, and filled the back of their truck with a yard and a half of dirt before coming on out to Cultus. Then we shovelled. And shovelled. And shovelled some more. When we finished I had two garden boxes, ready to plant.


Friendship, and hygge, at its very best.

21 comments:

  1. Dear Kristie, I am so glad you enjoyed your gift from Australia; it was so much fun putting it together, that I have started collecting for the next one :) Your garden boxes are superb, and seem to be the best way to grow flowers and veg. Look forward to seeing what you produce! Great post, and the concept of hygge is very special, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have so many wonderful friends, Kristie. I'm glad to have gotten to know you through our blogs too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What generous friends you have and what lovely gifts they chose for you. I like you have made friends since blogging and am happy to report have met 4 of them. Each were as lovely in person as they are in the written word. I consider myself very fortunate. You never know maybe one day we will meet, in the meantime I will continue to enjoy your posts and comments

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so pleased you have gardens of your very own now - and what wonderful friends you have!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thoughtful gifts are the best ones. You were very fortunate and the planters, especially, will just get more beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have some amazing gifts there, enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you liked your gifts from austraila.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are indeed blessed with wonderful friendships!! Cultivating friendships is sacred work much like creating a special garden.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are very blessed indeed! What beautiful gifts from Australia. The garden boxes are just gorgeous ... I love your log benches too! And you can't beat the help from a friend to shovel dirt for you just because. Have a great weekend! Wendy x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Friendship is priceless, Kristie and to have it cemented by gifts such as these is something very special. I still remember the huge pleasure I felt when I won your giveaway, so can easily imagine how you felt when Patricia's parcel of delights arrived. :-)

    As for the garden boxes with that wonderful rich soil, they will be gifts that last and last. I love the fact that you have seedlings already.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this post. Especially as I'm lucky enough to be one of those friends who gets to talk with you on the phone and last time you told me how much those cedar boxes mean to you ... so good to see them, I can see why you were so excited about them :) Happy gardening Kristie :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What or where would we be without our friends. I have friends who I see on a weekly or month,y basis and then I gave friends who live too far away and seen only a couple of times a year maybe. But at the end of the day it doesn't matter how much or how little you see them, it's just so comforting knowing that they are our there. Very much like my blogging friends and as you say some of whom are scattered around the world, but again they are always there through thick or thin. Lovely post Kristie. Love your giveaway prize too, from another lovely friend.
    Patricia x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi there, just catching up on your news! I am so pleased that you have such lovely friends and glad in a way too that it is hard to describe your friendships, as that means that they go beyond mere words. The things that Patricia sent you are beautiful, and so are your new gardens! I hope that you have a good weekend out and about no doubt! xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. The garden boxes look amazing! Can`t wait to see the end result!
    Greetings all the way from England.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  15. What wonderful friends you've made! Making new friends was the most difficult thing for me about moving 1000 miles away from my hometown. So glad I found my LYS and all the great ladies there.

    Can't wait to see pics of your gardens growing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. A wonderful post and you have some good friends. The cedar boxes look fantastic, what a great house warming present! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  17. A lovely post. Such amazing gifts from your friends too! Just think of what will grow in those beautiful garden boxes.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. You have some thoughtful friends in your life, as evidenced by this post. I look forward to watching the growth in your beautiful garden boxes.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have the same problem writing about friendship. If I were the decider of all things, Valentine's Day would focus on friendship. If nothing else, it would keep some single folk from getting depressed on that day. But more importantly, friendship is worth it--and we drift away from many more friends over the course of our lives than we do significant others. That's a shame. I tell my kids that if they want to have friends, they have to be a friend. Clearly you have been a wonderful friend to some really great people.

    I'm glad I didn't comment on this from my phone the other day. The pictures are much better on a computer screen.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What generosity! You must be a good friend to have such friends. Those garden boxes are fantastic! Raspberry season can't get here soon enough.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's been said above, but it's true, birds of a feather flock together. Good people attract other good people. Your garden boxes are really wonderful! We're working on some raised beds for a summer vegetable garden, but ours are not nearly as spiffy!

    ReplyDelete