Thursday, June 19, 2014

Almost One!

I've just returned from a quick trip over to Victoria, and I can't believe how grown-up Lucy has become since I saw her last month! This has resulted in a few changes in their house, which now resembles a fortress.


Lucy loves the outdoors, and we went for several walks and one longer hike while I was there. Child backpacks have definitely improved since I used one with Karsten when he was a baby. Here's Lucy playing Peekaboo with me while Karsten adjusted the straps on this Cadillac Carrier.



For the hike we drove out towards Sooke and took the coastal path to Beechey Head. I loved these old pilings in the water. I have no idea what they were for, or if they are still used.


We saw lots of bull kelp floating in the water.


There were flowers along the trail. Some were growing on the rocks.


Others were hidden in the grass.


My favourite sighting of the day was this lizard. We actually saw several, but this was the only one that would sit still long enough to take a picture of. It was like trying to get a picture of Lucy!


We're almost to Beechey Head, but Lucy needed to stop for a snack.


We made it! You can see the Olympic Peninsula in the distance.


All that hiking tired her out!


Now I'm back home, but only for a day. Tomorrow I drive down to Spokane, then on Saturday I pick up our English friends John and Gill, and we are heading to my cousin Kath's house for a "Welsh reunion." After that John and Gill are coming up to our cottage for a week, and we will be exploring the area with them. Even though we'll be busy, I'm sure I'll still have time to miss this little munchkin.






21 comments:

  1. Hi Kristie, your granddaughter is adorable! Vancouver Island is so beautiful, your pictures really capture the beauty of the landscape. We have family in Port Angeles and have made the trek up to Hurricane Ridge. Beyond spectacular! The Pacific Northwest is such a beautiful are. Have a great visit with your friends! Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that hike, did it many times in my youth. Lucy looks so grown up in that last photo especially! Have fun on your Welsh Reunion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photos as usual, Lucy is beautiful and growing so fast, you certainly see the passage of time when you have little ones around. Enjoy your friends visit

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely walk Kristie! The scenery is beautiful. Hope that you enjoy the time with your friends, it sounds as though you will be a very busy lady, but I hope that it will be fun. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your little Munchkin is SO CUTE!!!! Love the views too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. She's a little poppet! What a lovely walk- love the lizard :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Goodness me, Lucy is quite the little lady now. Wasn't she born just the other week?? So cute...and already off on an adventurous hike. Victoria Island does look very beautiful - I love the forest in the shot of the piles in the water, and the unusual lizard I have never seen before. One day I hope we go to Victoria Island on our way to see our grandchildren!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah Bull Kelp - what memories. I lived in Victoria (on the base) in the late 70s and used to regularly go down to the beach with my brother. We'd get the biggest piece of kelp we could find, knock the very end off the bulb and blow into them like they were horns. I don't remember what kind of noise they made, but I do remember they were salty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What?!! Almost one??! That first year flew by!! Lovely pics!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness, Lucy is such a cutie! I definitely know the feeling of needing to protect a little one in the house. My youngest is 20 months old now and it just gets worse! We often forget to close the gate on the stairs and before we know it, she is half way up! I love the photo of the lizard, so beautiful. Enjoy your welsh reunion! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lucy is so cute! The first picture reminds me of my daughter at that age. It was a wonderful age. They (almost) all are with our kids. Why do the have to grow so fast and time pass so quickly???

    It sounds like you've got some fun ahead of you. I hope all the connections go as planned--or that at least you get good stories from it if they don't.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for taking me on a hike with your gorgeous grand daughter Lucy and her dad, it has been a pleasure. Your photos are stunning, you have such a good eye for small hidden gems. x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lucy is adorable and looks like she's a lot of fun, and even a little mischievous I bet. I've been to Victoria and Nanaimo where we took the little ferry over to a tiny island that we walked entirely around on a path along the water's edge most of the way. It was quite wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for sharing your walk it looked amazing. Your granddaughter certainly looked as if she was enjoying her comfortable ride. Enjoy your time with your friends!

    ReplyDelete
  15. She is adorable, and growing so fast!

    I hope you're having a fabulous time with your friends Kristie x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lucy is such a sweetie and growing fast. :-) That was a wonderful hike you took with her and I love your pictures. Enjoy your friends' visit.

    ReplyDelete
  17. If it is even possible she is getting cuter every day.
    Love your photos.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've had a blogging break so just catching up on everything!!! My goodness she is CUTE! Getting so big now. We'd be lost without our backpack for Flynn, it's our most used item xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love your photos. The hike looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just trying to get caught up...it seems I only remember to check other people's blogs when I write on my own. Sounds selfish but it's just because I don't have a good routine, I guess. Anyway, I love this post. You take the most beautiful hikes! Lucy is adorable, as always. And bummer about the new spinach allergy...never heard of that one before. And those painted rocks in the "communist garden plot" are so cheerful. Can you believe I've never grown a single bit of food for myself? I really need to figure out a place in my shady wooded lot to grow some food. I could probably do tomatoes on the deck...hmm, need to do some planning. ~Kim

    ReplyDelete
  21. I always enjoy seeing pictures of Lucy, those back packs do look so much more comfortable! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete