Thursday, July 10, 2014

The Long Drive

I've just returned from a short (in terms of time away) but long (in terms of distance and emotions) road trip. My destination was Nelson, a place we called home for fourteen years. It was a wonderful place to live, and to raise a family. But that story is for another time.

The drive to Nelson might seem to go on forever, but so does the scenery. Unlike the drive to my mom's in Spokane, there isn't a single section of the road that isn't surrounded by beauty. So many times I found myself thinking that I should stop and take a picture for my blog. Nelson itself is spectacular, surrounded by mountains and filled with brightly painted heritage buildings, and there were so many pictures I could have taken while I was there as well. But I just couldn't.

You see, this trip was to visit a very dear friend who is unwell. We had a wonderful time together, and I'm so glad I forced myself to make the epic trip. It isn't always an easy thing for me to drive long distances, but I knew my friend would appreciate having me there, even if it was for such a short time. I also knew it was something I needed to do for myself as well as for her.

So there you have it. I have no pictures and no funny stories to share about my time away. What I do have is an even deeper appreciation of the fact that life is short, and a lot of it is hard. I think that is why I like this picture on my dining room wall so much.


The words might at first seem ludicrous.


Of course we can't always sit around drinking tea and discussing lighthearted things. Life just doesn't work like that. But when we do have the opportunity to take a deep breath, sit down with a friend or a good book or a knitting project or whatever else makes us content and happy, I think we need to remember that doing so is every bit as important as all the other busy things we could be doing instead. It is the very thing I intend to do this afternoon when some friends come up to visit us at our cottage. Life is short, and I want to cherish every single good moment it has to offer.

20 comments:

  1. Hey Kristie,
    It's about slowing down sometimes to appreciate all the good stuff round us. I like your sign. I'm sorry that your friend is unwell. I'm glad you made the journey for that cup of tea and chat.
    Take care
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a kind thing to do! Distances make this kind of support very hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If we could always be sitting over tea, we wouldn't appreciate it nearly so much, I think. Not ludicrous at all - that's a wonderful sentiment. Best wishes to your friend. I too find long drives arduous, but this one was plainly worth it for you. -- Ruth in Ontario

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a wonderful friend Kristie! Cx

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have the kindest soul and I am sure you were a blessing to your friend. Talking about happy things is so important but having a good friend to talk about the bad times, the scary times and the times when you are unwell is even more of a gift.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  6. I cannot add anything to your beautiful thoughts so am sending a hug through the stratosphere for you and your friend. When it makes its descent back to earth you will feel it as a warm breeze that will envelope you for a moment and you will know that you've been hugged!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that is a great little print. It just sums up everything you hope life will be.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Having a cup of tea and a natter with a friend is just the best tonic you can have. Whether it's for an hour or two or just a few short minutes you can catch up, listen, confide, moan, laugh and advise. Finally when you have to part to pick up with day to day life you know you will part with a smile!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so pleased you went to see your friend. So often these trips just seem too hard, or too far, but at a time like this, they are always worthwhile. I love your dining room picture. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such true words, it really is important to make the most every moment of our short lives. Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am sorry that you had to make this visit in sad circumstances, but I am sure that you and your friend are and will be glad that you did. I think that you are right about the words in your picture, keep going, keep doing and keep enjoying, no matter if it is a big thing or a small one, and taking time to smell the roses and do nothing is just as important as doing. We are human be ings not human do ings!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Life IS short, and there are always reminders of this wherever we look. I too have to make a journey of this sort very soon. A call has gone up among my small group of childhood friends that we need to rally together for one who needs our support. It's what you do, isn't it ... that's what being a true friend is all about. Take care Kristie, I'm sure your friend really appreciated the time you took to spend with her. I'm sure the lovely scenery you drove through helped ease your sadness too and the photo taking can wait for another time. hugs :) Wendy x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm sure your friend appreciated you making the trip. Live fierce, I say.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely post, Kristie. Thank you.
    -- stashdragon

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your friend is truly blessed to have you as a friend. That is a long drive and I bet you are pooped. I am sure your friend feels a little better after your visit . Happy memories and laughter help ease a burden for awhile. I love your sign, it is so true, it is the simplest things that make life better. The scenery through the Kootenays is spectacular and you are right it never stops. We used to camp near Nelson and up by Nakusp. It is amazing! Have a good weekend. Chris

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm sure your friend appreciated the time you spent with her. We should all take a little time out to enjoy our friends, families and surroundings - life is short, we never know how much of it we have left!
    Have a good weekend, Jay.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You couldn't have given your friend a a better gift than your company at this difficult time, Kristie. I'm sure the drive and the visit have taken a lot out of you, but it was such a kind and loving thing to do. Your print is so right. Sometimes we need to just stop and talk about happy things. We'll be making a similar visit to a dear college friend of ours when we get back to the UK, though our drive will not be such a trek as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am so sad to hear about your friend, Kristie, and you did absolutely the best thing you could in making this journey. Yes, it would have taken a lot of energy, but you know the true meaning of love and kindness. Life is short and precious, as you say, and the older I get the more this message has come to mean for me. We just received an unexpected visit and gift from a friend - and we all sat down and drank tea! The universal perfect solution :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really like that picture. I'm sorry to hear about your friend being unwell. I'm glad you took the time to see her.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It would be nice if life worked that way. The best we can do is look for the opportunities to focus on happy things. That's a great sign!!!
    It was thoughtful of you to make the trip. I hope your friend has a full recovery and gets to return the visit.

    ReplyDelete