Friday, July 4, 2014

Thimbleberries and Tea

Back in May in this post about Ten Random Things I mentioned how much I was looking forward to when the thimbleberries were ripe, and I could walk out my door and pick a handful to eat. Well, that time has come!


The berries are in varying stages of ripening, which is great because it means there will be waves of berries ready over the next few weeks.


They are delicate, and tend to tear when removed from the stem. Here's an inside and outside view. I tried to be very careful when I removed this one so you could see the inside properly.


I wish there was a way you could taste them. They are one of my favourite summer treats.


On the knitting front, in what has turned out to be a happy coincidence, I just finished knitting this tea cozy in the Beaverslide colourway called Thimbleberry. I actually didn't know the yarn's name until I went to post the project on Ravelry. My original reason for knitting it had nothing to do with berries.

Ravelry details here

The minute I saw Chrissie's project I started digging in my stash to find some yarn to knit my own Westie cozy. In yet another coincidence, it turns out that Chrissie's Westie and Fergus came from the same breeder, and are no doubt related in some way.

I will be away until Tuesday, so apologize in advance if I get behind again in my blog reading and commenting. Happy 4th of July to all my American readers!

19 comments:

  1. I have never seen a thimbleberry before, they look amazing though! What is the taste like? Love your teacosy, it is so cute and indeed just the same colour as the berries! The little scottie is so cute and so right for you too! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. And the inside of the berries looks like the seed/moss stitch on the tea cosy, too - how clever is that! -- Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to taste thimbleberries, they look ever so delicious. I wonder what they might taste like? Have a lovely weekend Kristie. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never heard of a Thimbleberry, they look delicious, and I love, love, love your tea cozy. I can see why you had to download it and get busy on it right away. Have some nice time away.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your thimbleberries look very much like our raspberries - are they related, I wonder? They're my favourite berry fruit, although last year we got rid of the canes we had as they weren't thriving, sadly, and we're not going to replace them. I love the tea cosy (British spelling!) - would love one with a silver grey Poodle on it, or a Yorkie!! But then, I love all your knitting! I have 2 major projects on needles, one for me and one for my BH, but doubt whether they'll ever get finished, as the arthritis in my hands is getting worse - and I never was a very fast knitter anyway!

    Have a good weekend - is it with Lucy? In which case it'll be brilliant.

    Love, Helva

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never had thimbleberries (love the name) but they look sweet and delicious.
    love your little tea cosy... I want one with a black lab on it :-)
    have a wonderful weekend ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Kristie, love your tea cosy it is so dang cute!! It's sure fun to do little projects. Fresh berries are the best, especially if they are warmed by the sun. Thanks for the shoutout and have a safe and happy trip. Chris

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love thimbleberries. We used to eat them by the handful on summer weekends in the Shawangunks in NY when I was a kid. So delicate, with those little seeds that pop when you eat them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the tea cosy and is that a Herdy mug that I can see there too? x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never heard of thimbleberries but they do look delicious. I love the summer when all these soft fruits grow and are so readily available. So much choice, all at once!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm intrigued by the Thimbleberries, are they like raspberries? Although they look like they may be bigger, maybe like a loganberry. I'd love to try them you make them sound delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I looked up Thimbleberries and see why I've not seen them before. They aren't found this far east. The Westie Tea Cozy fits right in. Lovely photos!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never tried thimbleberries. I used to e joy picking wild berries (mostly blackberries), but now I avoid anything with lots of small seeds.
    On the 4th Maggie got to play with her Westie cousin--my SIL and her family joined us for a cookout.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have never even heard of thimbleberries, but they look gorgeous and delicious. Enjoy a handful for me!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ahhhh, the tea cozy is so cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm another for whom thimbleberries are new, though they are obviously related to the raspberry. Do they taste even better? As for the tea-cosy, it's just so sweet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the cosy, especially the wee Fergus on it! And those berries look yum, not something we have here I don't think!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thimbleberries look very enticing, and I love all the coincidences related to them. The wave of your red yarn stitches--I don't know what you call it--show the texture of the berry. That's amazing. It's a puzzling Intuition.

    ReplyDelete