Sunday, August 17, 2014

A Wee Visitor

My house is very quiet. Too quiet. There are no giggles or sounds of wooden spoons banging on pans. There is no excited intake of breath every time the stuffed owl is spotted on top of the bookcase. Fergus and Jenny no longer have a miraculous source of food falling to the floor every time a meal is served. And I no longer have an early morning companion. (Lucy and I seem to be on the same internal clock, one that isn't appreciated by other members of our family.) It was a wonderful visit, but over far too soon. Here's a little glimpse of our time together.

There was a visit to the blueberry farm.


It was a bit like Goldilocks and the Three Bears. Lucy loves blueberries, but they have to be just right or she won't eat them. Not too ripe and not too green. Nothing but perfectly blue would do. Doesn't she look like a little farm girl in those overalls? They belonged to her dad when he was a toddler.



The dogs adored her. She was like manna from heaven. It didn't take them long to realize the best spot in the house was to be stationed directly under her chair. But they were interested in her even when she wasn't eating. I think Jenny viewed her as a puppy without any hair, while Fergus thought of her more as an interactive doggie toy.


I introduced her to whipped cream.


We spent time on the porch.


More than anything else though we played chase. As in, "quick, grab her before she falls or gets hurt!"


The stairs were her favourite place to play. This would have been fine if she had any sense of danger, but unfortunately she's not quite to that stage yet.


Now that she's gone you can see why things are so quiet here at our cottage.

20 comments:

  1. You must miss her terribly. She is adorable and she reminds me of the little girl in the book Blueberries for Sal. Hugs to you,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is just gorgeous! She really is :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like you had a wonderful time. Love the overalls, so cute. We had dogs when the girls were small and they always sat under the highchair at mealtimes, heaven for them! I know that feeling of quiet, you realise just how quiet and tidy your home is when they go. Hopefully she will be back again soon

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a joyful post, Kristie. Every picture radiates happy times, and Lucy is the most adorable little tot. I'm smiling about the intro to whipped cream - sans clothes! Dogs are so funny and predictable: naturally they find the best place to forage a bit of free food, and it is sweet they have accepted Lucy as a new companion. You will be counting the days to your next Lucy sighting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh, she is so sweet. I can't believe how big she has gotten, I feel like she was only born yesterday. Her hair is getting really long. She has such a pretty little face and she seems like a very happy baby. I'm so glad you were able to spend time together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. She is gorgeous, lots of happy memories made to relive again and again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lovely post to read and with the pictures it shows what a wonderful time you all had.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Kristie,
    What a beauty! I love her dungarees. I think Sam had some similar when he was little.
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lucy is so cute! I'm sure you and the dogs will miss her a lot. Did you bring out the Miss Maggie Rabbits doll?

    ReplyDelete
  10. She is such a cutie and very adventurous. No wonder your home feels too quiet now. I hope you don't have to wait too long before you get to see her again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. She is such a sweetie. Except for more time with her, what more could you ask for? You really hit the jackpot with your first grandchild! I hope I'm as lucky someday.

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh she is adorable and I can see why you are sad that there is silence now. I bet you couldn't stop staring at her and her being here on this earth!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Kristie, I commented the other day and thought I'd seen it posted, but now it's not there! Perhaps, I am imagining things again......I'll try again.....I can imagine how quiet your house must be. Lucy looks like a very energetic little girl! Gabriel is very good with my granddaughter, too. I think Westie's love little children because they are close to them in size and have lots of interesting smells. :-) How long of a drive is it for them to come visit you? I think a ferry ride is involved, too?

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's sad when visits are so short, but you made lots of happy memories whilst she was with you and she'll be back again before you know it. She's such a cutie.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I imagine that things are very quiet indeed! It sounds as though you all had a wonderful time though in so many different ways and that is good isn't it! xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lucy is such a gorgeous little girl and your photos capture perfectly that enchanting, if sometimes nerve-wracking, stage when a toddler really starts to explore the world around her. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. She is just too adorable, and looks so confident and happy. Enchanting, as Perpetua says.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a sweetheart! She has grown so much, it's lovely to have these updates. And ps, your Miss Maggies are brilliant, you must be so pleased :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a cutie pie! We are up to twelve grandchildren...including the newest two born in May! Congratulations. Linda McGrath

    ReplyDelete