Friday, August 29, 2014

Five on Friday

I liked Amy's Five on Friday post over at Love Made My Home, so thought I would do my own version.

1.  I thought I should clear up any misunderstanding about the free drink I was consuming at that open house we crashed at the hop farm. It was an ice cold bottled water, not a beer. I am not a beer drinker. I am a cider drinker. But not a committed enough cider drinker to try that foul mixture at the lavender farm.

2. I have finished another pair of fingerless mitts. These are for the friend I went to visit in early July, the friend who is quite unwell. I noticed when I was there that she seemed to be chilled even though it was a very hot day. Her birthday is tomorrow, and I thought these mitts might help keep her warm.


3.  I saw this and thought it summed up my state of mind quite nicely. What I would like to know is what to do about the remaining 13 problems. My theory is if I worry about the 86 imaginary problems I won't have any time left to focus on the real ones.




4.  The season is slowing shifting away from summer here at our cottage. I have stressed my chillies to the point of it bordering on being chilli abuse, and I'm happy to report they are now extremely hot. The next problem is what the heck am I going to do with a couple dozen hot Thai chillies? I'm open to suggestions. The communist garden plot is winding down, but the sweet peas are going strong.


And just when they have taken down the bear warning sign at Teapot Hill, this one has gone up here at The Cottages.


It is posted at the gate between the cottages and Frost Creek, about a hundred metres from our house. Unfortunately it also happens to be the area where dogs can go off leash. I haven't stopped walking Fergus there, but for now will keep him on the leash Just In Case.

5.  I've been in a breakfast rut for months. Homemade granola and fruit, more homemade granola and fruit, and then, when I'm tired of that, I have fruit and homemade granola. I was so happy when I saw this post over at the Really Pretty Useful blog. When Kath and I were in London a few years ago, every morning we would go to the nearby Pret A Manger for breakfast. And every morning I would get a fruit cup and a granola breakfast cup. (Okay, maybe I've been stuck in this breakfast rut for more than just a few months.)


Now I can make my own version! I used a combination of blueberries, strawberries and raspberries out of my freezer, and it made a very delicious fruit compote. I think it looks quite authentic, layered in my Weck Jar.


How's your Friday?

21 comments:

  1. Those fingerless mitts are lovely, and will surely be greatly appreciated by your friend. When my dad was going through chemo, he could never get warm, so I used to knit him socks. It felt like something useful I could do, and he was grateful for them. He was actually wearing a pair that I made when he passed away, and we decided to let him keep them. I think it takes a knitter to appreciate that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your happy number 3 pretty much sums up my life Kristie! I am also in a fruit and granola rut, I have started to make my own granola for it. Lovely. I have mine with plain yogurt on top. The recipe you use looks good, I might make this next. You sure live in a scary place, bears and communists :) Enjoy the sweet peas while they last. Have a lovely weekend. Cx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the "99 problems" -- how true that is! It's a good reminder to step back, take a breath, and decide what's NOT worth worrying about. Thanks for posting it! The mitts are lovely, too. I'm sure your friend will appreciate them. No bears here, but a coyote sauntered past our screened porch the other evening, pausing to look over at us in a rather bored way. -- Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was just appreciating the fact that we live where wild animals can roam. It's a shame that our aggressive society has found it's way into nature. I wonder what IS that bear's problem?! Your logic in #3 makes sense, and unfortunately too many people think it does. :-) I used to think if I worried about something, then it wouldn't happen--or at least it wouldn't catch me by surprise. And since I like to be right, if it did happen I could take satisfaction in knowing at least I was right! Your granola breakfast looks yummy, except that I don't particular care for yogurt. Would whipping cream be a good substitute? (hee hee)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahh, Really Pretty Useful is my daughter's blog thanks for the plug. The granola is good, she will be pleased you liked it

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had those fingerless mittens when I was small. Mother said it spared the usual sopping fingers of full gloves when i was out and about in winter. Nowhere near so nice a colour, though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too have been in a similar breakfast rut of yogurt and mixed fruit for months now. Maybe I will start adding granola into the mix. Your fingerless mitts are lovely I hope they help your friend out, what a heartfelt and appropriate gift. Best wishes to her.

    Knitting in Pearls

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was lovely to read your five things! I hope that you don't have any problems with the bear, I hope that it isn't the one from teapot hill! Your friend will appreciate the gloves I am sure as they are a great way to keep your hands and wrists warm aren't they. The 99 problems is a good idea, but as you say, there are still those 13 real ones! I hope you have a good weekend. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this post. My Friday was good! Thank you for asking. An aggressive bear sounds rather terrifying. Today when I went to the chile stand, I ended up in a long conversation with the manager about hunting bears. I had told him I like to write about local things when I can and he suggested hunting bears and writing about that. He didn't know my blog's name at the time, nor the fact of my family's nicknames. Can you imagine if I started writing about shooting bears on my blog?! I laughed all afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful gift for your friend - it should help her feel quite a bit warmer to keep her pulse points covered.

    I like the sound of the communist garden plot - it makes me picture gardeners in very drab clothing standing in long queues, hoping to buy a pair of gardening gloves from a store with sadly empty shelves. Upon finding the store devoid of what they need, they go home and drink vodka to drown their sorrows as they make borscht from beets grown in their communist garden. :)

    I am in a years-long breakfast rut. Two eggs every morning, always with cheese, and other additions varying according to the time of year. In summer they are swirled with a handful of fresh-picked herbs and I feel very rich as I eat them.

    My Friday has been one long series of interruptions, but I've managed to get a few things done betweentimes. (Including this Really Long Comment!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Kristie,
    A fun packed Friday here. Communists? I'm intrigued!
    Have a great weekend.
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful mitts. I'm hoping to make a pair for my daughters at some point (it's on my 'to do' list) but I bet they won't turn out like those! Chilli jam? Or you could just freeze them and use them as and when. x

    ReplyDelete
  13. My breakfast? Granola and milk.....topped with berries, yogourt and honey...... Today, with your inspiration, I will have berries, yogourt, topped with granola, honey and yogourt.....and a splash of milk. Sometimes it is just a simple change that is needed :) love the fingerless mitts...very thoughtful.....

    ReplyDelete
  14. The mitts look great lovely and cosy.
    As my garden flows into autumn I am amazed how my sweet peas keep flowering and flowering. I don't think there's been a day in this house this summer where a vase of sweet peas hasn't been on the mantle piece.
    As for the bear sign well, if we saw one of those here this country would go into lock down!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The mitts are a real delight, perfect for the change in seasons. I too am in a breakfast rut but at least it is a healthier option to big fry up. The bear sign made me smile, I think PANIC would be the effect the sign would have on most people here.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your friend will love your mitts, they are very pretty and beautifully knit. Lovely thoughtful gift. I love sweet peas, they have one if the nicest fragrances in the flower world. Please watch out for Bobby Bruin, he probably knows you are a woman of very many berries!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I remember you're not a beer drinker (I'm not either). but I admit your last post gave me a secret laugh. It had "uninvited guests" in the title and started out "Jay's sister Lynn was here." The post made it clear she wasn't uninvited, but I take whatever smiles I can find. :)
    Your mitts are very pretty. I know they will be well received.
    My breakfast rut is raisin bran cereal. It's where taste, fiber content and convenience meet.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Here in the South we put hot chillies in a cruet and fill with vinegar, let stand for a couple of weeks, and then sprinkle on greens (mustard greens and collard greens) through the fall and winter. The greens may not be to everyone's taste, but you might adapt the idea to other veggies. Love the mitts!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The mittens are wonderful, your friend will be so pleased with them. I like fingerless mitts as we step in to autumn, they keep the chill away without making you too hot, and you can still use your fingers too, ideal when carrying a camera.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Those fingerless mitts are beautiful and will make a lovely gift. I'm also a cider drinker, when I drink. Do you have a favorite?

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a pretty and useful present those mitts are for your friend. As for breakfast, we're in a rut too with porridge almost every day. :)

    ReplyDelete