Sunday, September 21, 2014

In Between

It seems to be a time of "in betweens" for me right now. In no particular order:

News

My friend has traveled far away to get medical help, and I'm in between reports on how she is doing. I can only wait, and hope.

Seasons

We're in that short few weeks of time known here in Canada as Indian Summer. Not quite summer, not quite autumn. When I walk Fergus in the mornings I see this lone tree, an early adaptor to fall, perched on the rocky outcrop to the west.


This in between time of year is when the goldenrod is in full bloom. It's a reminder of what's to come.


Guests

Last weekend Alexandra was here, and next weekend my mom arrives. We will be going to Victoria for a couple days so she can spend some time with Lucy, then we'll be here at the cottage for a few days, and then I will drive her back to Spokane. But this weekend we are in between guests. I almost don't know what to do with myself.

Downton Abbey





I still feel sort of burned by season 3 of Downton Abbey, but did end up watching season 4 last year.  In the UK season 5 starts tonight, while those of us on this side of the pond are stuck in between seasons until next year. Except here's the most amazing thing. I don't have to wait.

Our friends from England, John and Gill, bought something called a Slingbox and connected it to their TV. Then I put the Slingplayer app on my iPad. What this means (and please don't ask me how it works because I haven't got a clue) is that I can now watch their TV. The app even has a remote control and I can record shows, or in the case of Downton, a whole series. It just doesn't get any better than that!

Knitting

After I finished knitting my Tea with Jam and Bread sweater I had the itch to cast on a completely new project. Since I have three other fairly major projects on the needles right now I worked hard to fight of that urge. I ended up compromising by casting on a teeny, tiny project. One that would only take a couple of evenings, and also one that used nothing but stash yarn. I needed an "in between" project. Introducing...

Mr. Fox


Mrs. Owl


And my favourite, Hedgehog Jr.


To give you an idea of just how small these woodland creatures are, here's Hedgehog Jr. standing next to a blackberry.


I've been wanting to try some of the Mochimochi Land patterns for a long time. They didn't disappoint. I think these might be the cutest things I've ever knit. They were definitely the fastest!




17 comments:

  1. I love your woodland critters - so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope your friend's trip pays dividends. Fingers crossed!

    Your mochimochi creations are too cute. They remind me of Dianey characters. Disney probably owns the MMs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those little critters, so cute! I hope the news from you friend is all good, hard not knowing I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those creatures are fun. You might like the critters in this book: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Amigurumi-Knits-Patterns-Cute-Mini/dp/1589234359. I knitted the Loch Ness Monster. I am keeping my fingers crossed for your friend. Cx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how I love your hedgie!!!!! He is too cute and either really really tiny, or that is one massive blackberry!! Did you watch Downton from last night? What did you think? I hope that you enjoy the time to yourself between visitors and that you have a great time when your Mum comes. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. You must have very nimble fingers to create those tiny creatures, they're very cute.
    Autumn is slowly descending here although the sun still shines bright and there's plenty of warmth in it at times but the evenings are drawing in rapidly and after dinner last night it was nice to draw the curtains, pick up my crochet and sit in front of the tv to watch Downton. In fact I was working in the garden earlier in the day and found myself humming the theme tune in preparation!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Impressive woodland animals perfect for this time of year. We too are having a Indian summer cold early mornings and evenings but warm during the day, with sun during the afternoon. Have a lovely week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kristie, you are so talented with a knitting needle! Those little critters are darling. I like your in-between theme. I will have to use this idea for my thoughts. I need a "place" to put them when I'm waiting for something. If they have a "place" to be, I can handle them better when they pester me. I'll just tell them to get in their place and stay there until I tell them they can come out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness, your little creatures are so sweet! I love them, especially the faces. They're adorable. This Slingplayer sounds awesome, I should look into it. I look forward to Downton coming back, as well as Call the Midwife. Actually, we also loved Endeavour but I've yet to hear whether there will be a new season? I really hope so. I have some goldenrod that seeded itself in my front yard, in a small planter bed. I know it's a weed, technically, but the color is so pretty and I haven't had the heart to rip it out yet. I hope your friend is well soon. Take care and have a great week, Kristie.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a thing for owls and hedgehogs, so you know that I approve highly of your lovely knitted creatures. You won't be giving any spoilers on Downton Abbey, right? No, you would never do that, I'm sure. The whole concept of watching somebody's TV in England from Canada is really quite marvelous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My brother-in-law and his wife used slingbox when they lived abroad and LOVED it. It's a neat contraption. Those little Mochimochi animals are completely adorable! I can see how they'd be a nice palate cleanser.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I adore your little creatures, very very cute! I used to be obsessed with Downton but still haven't got onto Season 4 yet...hope all goes well for your friend x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your little creatures are so lovely! It sounds as if you have a busy time ahead. I do hope you receive some good news about your friend.
    It sounds incredible that you are able to watch your friends TV, the advance in technology is amazing! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, that yellow tree on the rock looks gorgeous, but then I am particularly partial to yellow in nature. Indian Summer is a beautiful description of the season, with a sort of wistfulness about it.
    As for the tiny knitted beasties, they are adorable. But will Lucy get her hands on them - I think I'd have to keep them myself.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those little tiny knits are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your little critters are so cute! I am missing Downton Abbey but know that Jan will be here before we know it. I was a little disappointed in last season.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your tiny animals are so sweet, Kristie! Here in Mid-Wales autumn is definitely underway, with leaves changing colour and falling quite quickly after a very dry September. We watched the first episode of the New Downton last Sunday and thoroughly enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete