Monday, October 6, 2014

Vanishing Act

Sorry for the extended break between blog posts. Things have been rather busy. I picked my mom up at the airport in Bellingham a week ago Friday and we drove straight from there to catch the ferry to Victoria. We had a great visit on the Island, and my mom could not believe how much Lucy had grown up since she last saw her in May.



I feel like my plan to instill a love of tea and books is progressing nicely.



We took advantage of the great weather to go down to the wharf for fish and chips.


Lucy loves phones. It was fascinating to watch her grab the phone, hold it to her ear, and start babbling away. The reason it was so interesting was because her "speech" completely changed. The first time I heard it I couldn't believe it. She sounded like she was speaking in Chinese! Funnier yet was how she would hold out one hand and gesture with it while she was talking. Of course, it wasn't really speech in the sense that the words were real, but the intonation was certainly Chinese. It must be because the person she hears talk on the phone the most often is Diana, and the person Diana calls the most frequently is her mom. (Their conversations are in Chinese, with just a sprinkling of English thrown in.)


We caught the 11:00 ferry home, and soon after we got here Kellen and Anita arrived. We barbecued burgers, then Kellen built a fire and we toasted marshmallows.


I drove my mom back to Spokane on Thursday. We had errands to do, and people to visit, and before I knew it it was Sunday and time to drive back home. I have a very hard time with long drives, and get what I call road glaze. It's that terrible feeling where your eyes get heavy and you have a hard time focusing. I have started doing two things to help counter this. One is to buy a Starbucks coffee. (The down side to that part of my strategy is I can't fall asleep that night, but that's better than falling asleep at the wheel.) The other thing I do is make sure a really good book is downloaded on my iPhone, and I listen to it while I cross Washington State.

So as I drove away from my mom's yesterday I started the book I'd picked for this trip. I really enjoy Julia Spencer-Fleming's stories, and was excited that she had a new one out. I had the hardest time following the start of the story though. I couldn't figure out why my American police officer was in London. Even more confusing was the fact he had somehow acquired an English accent. I finally pulled off the road to have a look at the Audible app on my phone. I was listening to Deborah Crombie's latest book, not Julia Spencer-Fleming's! (Sadly, it turns out Julia Spencer-Fleming doesn't even have a new book out.) How did I manage to confuse the two? Their names aren't even close. To make matters worse, I had only read the first book in Deborah Crombie's series, and this new book was # 16. My trip home was like one big spoiler.





28 comments:

  1. Hello Kristie. I haven't been around much lately so catching up with everyone. Lucy really is growing up quickly isn't she, I'm not surprised your Mom saw a huge difference in her. Lovely photos by the way. P x

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lovely to have four generations together like that! I bet your mom loved spending time with Lucy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to see pictures of your family! It's really wonderful that you all make so much time for each other! What great memories!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Kristie,
    I love your new header. It reminds me that I feel the need for a complete change on the blog front. I'm glad you and your Mum had a good time together. My Mum will be with us throughout Xmas and New Year. I simply cannot wait.
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds as though Lucy is well on the way to being totally bilingual already!! it is amazing how children can grow up and learn two languages so easily and yet as an adult to learn a new one is so hard isn't it. I love that you are encouraging Lucy to drink tea and read as well!! That is so annoying about your book for the journey, you will have to go back and read/listen to all the others now! xx p.s. love your new header! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haa, that's so funny about the book ... although I bet it wasn't funny on the ride! At least you picked a good author. Lucy is adorable. Oh those cheeks!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that Lucy has picked up her mother's Chinese "accent"! It goes to show how we really must be careful how we act and speak around small children, i.e., our tone of voice and choice of words! My Olivia June will be 6 months this week. How old is Lucy? I'm enjoying watching her grow up just ahead of Olivia June. It shows me what I'm in for!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like a great but busy visit with your family. I got a laugh about Lucy talking on the telephone, kids brains are virtually sponges, they sure soak up everything. I love her teapot, it's so cute. Too bad about your book but it is kinda funny! We all do it. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The ironic, and perhaps a little sad, thing is that I think I was in Victoria looking after a two year old at the same time you were there....

    ReplyDelete
  10. it sounds like a lovely week - I love that you are teacing Lucy the imporatnce of tea and books! I did giggle at your audio book though - bugger!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It sounds like your mom had a lovely visit. What a cutie Lucy is! And what a beautiful photo at the wharf, with the boat reflections in the water.

    If I have to drive anywhere farther than 10 miles away, I turn the radio to classic rock (the only time I listen to it) and sing loudly to keep myself awake. Have never tried a book on tape, but it sounds like it could be fun.

    P.S. That is one of my favourite C.S. Lewis quotes in the header!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great visit lovely how quickly children can pick up language much easier than us.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad you had a nice time with your mom. It looks beautiful down at the wharf in the sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Look at Lucy, dancing about - what a little cutie. Your Mum must have enjoyed being with her great-granddaughter, and the photo of them together is just beautiful. Modern children are funny re phones, and my grandsons all played at chatting into the phone from before they could 'talk'. Lucy will certainly be bi-lingual; they absorb everything like a sponge. Isn't it wonderful? Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  15. How frustrating when you think you have a plan. One year I downloaded all of my holiday reading onto my iPad and then left the charger at home!
    Glad you had such a nice family time.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I loved your last post on Hygge. I would not have called it that but the idea of gathering the harvest in before the winter is very real for me - even though the local supermarket is almost within sight from my front door. Lovely pictures of your little one.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It looks like everyone had a nice visit with your mom. She seems like such an active lady, I'm really glad she's able to travel. Lucy is so big! Wow, it went quickly. She's a little girl now. I love that she's getting into tea and books. That's a fantastic contribution to her life, Grandma! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a lovely visit you had with your Mum and little Lucy. Shame about the book, that's the sort of thing I'd do!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am now addicted to listening to books on my phone while in the car. I download them from my local library, not the latest books but they are fun to listen to anyway. I even put it on when I walk int he morning. On a long drive I keep and ice chest in my car filled with grapes that are almost freezing, I nibble on them and stick my hand on the ice to keep me awake, it helps.
    Hugs and Lucy is adorable! Glad you had fun with your very fit looking Mom.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  20. You had great reasons for not being on- line. Did the visit with your mom include a hair appointment?

    I haven't had a long drive in quite a while, but I like your way of combating the droopy eyelids. I'm not a coffee drinker, but I make an exception in that situation.

    PS - It's shocking to see Lucy standing. Time is moving too quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You've brought back memories of my two when they were little and pretending to talk on the phone, they're so funny as they mimic the actions they've seen. I bet your mum had a lovely time, especially spending time with Lucy. How annoying about the audio book, that's something I'd do.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have the exact same problem with long distance driving. I can do three hours max then I'm junk behind the wheel. Also I get sore and achy from long car rides.

    lovely photos of the generations, your mom and your grand child, so sweet and lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I gather your granddaughter will grow up to be bilingual; children pick up languages so easily when they're little. Pity that ability isn't as easy later on in life!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Isn't the human brain an amazing thing? Here we have this tiny (and might I add adorable) child who is able to pick up that Mommy speaks differently on the phone than she does around the house. I absolutely love that!! You remember, perhaps, that I have studied this perfectly inscrutable language and often consoled myself by thinking Chinese two-year olds can handle this, surely you can too. Beautiful photos, too, I like how you added the little corners.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lucy is adorable and always looks so much bigger every time you feature her. How clever to copy the way her Mum speaks on the phone! It looks as if you had such special family moments when your Mum was staying. How frustrating the journey home wasn't as good as you had planned. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh my, I have fallen behind again! First I have to tell you that I love the new blog header image...very pretty. As for Lucy's language skills, I imagine she'll grow up learning both languages easily, don't you? She's going to have a fascinating life ahead of her, I just know it. And clearly she'll be drinking tea like her Grandma taught her. ;) ~Kim

    ReplyDelete
  27. So precious! Love that 2nd photo of Lucy and her Great Grandmother. I agree she's really growing quickly and how wonderful that she'll be bilingual and with chinese as her second language too - it's the no. 1 foreign language taught in Australian schools now...Mel x

    ReplyDelete
  28. That is so funny, because Tom used to 'talk' Polish on his toy phone sometimes when he was a baby because Ted would phone his parents and talk to them in their own language.

    I swear you have the exact same firebowl as us!

    ReplyDelete