Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Finally!

I wish I had an excuse, but I just can't seem to come up with one. Back in March of 2013, several months before we moved to our cottage here at Cultus Lake, I knit a pair of Mukluk Slippers. I know it was that long ago because I just looked them up on my Ravelry project page. The slippers were a quick knit. I started them on March 8th and finished them March 14th.

I wore them for the first time yesterday. Finally. You would be right to wonder why it took me over a year and a half to actually put them to use. I'm wondering the same thing myself. All that needed to be done to make them functional was to sew leather soles on the bottom. And that was all the reason I needed to hide them deep in my craft closet.

In the summer of 2013, a number of months after knitting the slippers, I took a brave step towards completing them by going to Paradise Fibers  to buy leather soles when I was down visiting my mom (if you are ever in Spokane be sure to stop in and have a look at this wonderful store!).

A few months later I went to Fabricland and bought the thread to sew them with. A few months after that I decided it would be really nice to be able to wear them, so pulled them out of hiding so I could sew the soles on but couldn't find the thread. Defeated, I shoved them back into the recesses of my craft closet.

There they sat until the cold snap that hit us last week. I decided enough was enough. On Monday I went back to Fabricland and bought another spool of thread, came home, and marched upstairs to retrieve the slippers from their hiding spot. When I pulled them out I was puzzled by the lumpy object shoved deep inside one of the slippers. Brilliant. It was the lost spool of thread.

Monday was a rather bad day, which meant it was perfect for sitting down and doing the dreaded deed. If it had been a good day sewing those leather soles on might have tarnished it, but there wasn't much more damage they could do to the Monday I was experiencing. Two hours later I was the proud owner of a pair of Mukluks that were functional.


They aren't super brilliant, and my sewing skills are somewhere between a preschool and kindergarten level. But they are toasty warm, and I'm very happy with them. So here's my question. Why did I put off a simple two hour task for over a year and a half? I could have worn these all last winter. Sigh... Oh well. I'll have them this winter, and hopefully I've learned a lesson.

Now for the neighbour update. I ran into her again a couple days ago when we were both out walking our dogs. I got brave and asked her The Question. "Do you happen to be a knitter?" She got a big smile on her face and I knew the answer before she had a chance to speak. It turns out she loves to quilt and knit, and get this - her favourite thing to knit is socks!! The bonus was finding out she also loves nature and likes to walk every day, rain or shine. Which is where I'm headed as soon as I hit the publish button for this post - out to walk with my new neighbour. Finally!

34 comments:

  1. Love the mukluks and conga rats on new knitting neighbour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a potential kindred spirit. :) The slippers look warm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoop - what a fantastic new neighbour.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent - isn't it funny how we put off asking a question that ultimately gives us the answer we wanted all along.
    Happy walking and knitting and Great looking slippers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do that EXACT thing! One little task stops me, then the next, then the next. But you at least persisted and have those great slippers. Even if they are accompanied by the word finally. :) And such good news about the neighbor, I hope you've found a kindred spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, you two were meant to be friends, weren't you? Life sends people to us like gifts sometimes, I have found. I'm sure there will be many walks and talks in your future.
    Those slippers are super, and it must feel great to have them done. I do it too - things abandoned due to lack of some bit or other, forgotten, found again etc. You have reminded me of a little embroidery project which is languishing because the perfect fabric to finish the binding has proved elusive. Well, that's my excuse, ha ha. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think they're beautiful! I dare say this is the reason you put it off: "They aren't super brilliant, and my sewing skills are somewhere between a preschool and kindergarten level." Our unconscious, negative thoughts will always sabotage us, probably more so than the ones we verbalize. I'm working on catching my conscious ones at least, and hopefully my unconscious ones will give up the ghost!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The mukluks do look fantastically warm and now you get to enjoy a new pair this year instead of a pair that are a year old ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am sorry to hear you had a bad day on Monday. Sounds like your week is picking up, new mukluks =warm pretty feet and a new walking knitting buddy across the street. And a sock knitter to boot, that's pretty awesome! Yah I procrastinate too, then when I finally finish something I have a "what was I thinking" moment! Hope the rest of your week continues to improve.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I did like those footwarmers! I spent French winters in Turkish socks, which had soles of harsh, tightly spun yarn...but these would have been a lovely alternative.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The mukluks look super cozy! Congrats on finishing them ... a good feeling, yes? And lucky you to have a new neighbour tailor made to you! Did you wear the mukluks on the walk? I met a neighbour on my dog walk this week too ... well, let's just say she probably doesn't knit, and I'm not even going to ask :) Wendy x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amazing slippers, love the colours. Great that you finally finished them and great that you finally plucked up the courage to question tour new neighbour,a great kindred spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  13. But perhaps well worth the wait, your mukluks are lovely, I wish we could get the soles here in the UK <>

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is so funny that some things take us so long when they could be accomplished fairly easily and then other things that are complicated take up so much of our time and we willingly spend that time. Your slippers look so incredibly cosy and lovely though, so I hope that now they are all done you will enjoy them. How great about your neighbour too! I wonder if she was thinking the same about you and wondering whether or not to ask! Perhaps you should see if she blogs as well!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. The prevarication is very familiar to me. I'd have done the same thing with the thread as well. I'm so pleased for you that your neighbour is one of us. I bumped into someone I know a little the other day, and showed her some local handspun yarn, alas I could tell at once she wasn't a knitter. I shall keep trying though. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. great result all round then, how lovely to have a neighbour that shares your interets, enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have coveted them since I saw your IG post, Kristie! You finished them, and that's the main thing surely? They are gorgeous.
    Leanne

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ugh, so jealous, I want a knitting neighbor! Your slippers look so cozy!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That's so great about your new neighbour! Hope you have many a good walk together and can even get knitting socks together. I love your slippers. It's strange how we put off things like this but I suppose we all do it. I laughed when I read about the lost spool of thread. Things like that happen to me too. I lost a wooden spoon once (had just bought it) and found it months later in the freezer.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I knew your neighbor was a knitter, i just knew it!! love your slippers and I think the sewing is grand :) Love the colors!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sympathy from one procrastinator to another. I can be just the same, then kick myself for having taken so long. Wonderful news about your new neighbour. I foresee many happy walks and shared craft sessions. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. There you go, a neighbourly knitter right on your door step, looks like you will have plenty in common!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh my goodness your slippers are wonderful and look so cosy, they'll certainly keep you warm this winter. So glad you plucked up courage to chat to your Neighbour and I daresay you've got lots more in common too. It'll be fun finding out. P x

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think these are incredible! I have wanted to make some slippers with leather soles. Great news about the knitter neighbor!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I really like them, Kristie. The colors of the knitted part are beautiful and they look very comfy and warm. Good for you, they came out great after all. I'm glad the neighbor is one of our kind! Yay! I had a similar experience today, talking to a mom at school whom I've been wanting to get to know better. She seemed really cool and then today she told me she sews and quilts, and also has chickens! Well, I think this could be really fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. You tackled the Mukluk sewing when you needed to--you didn't need to last year. The missing thread is a classic story...it might make people think you didn't enjoy sewing. :)

    That's great news about the new neighbor.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I absolutely love them! I have never seen that done before, I wonder if I could get the leather soles in the U.K.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Beautiful mukluks! Welcome to your new neighbour. Glad to hear that she likes to walk too. I'd be happy to introduce her to our quilt guild if she's interested.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I think they are super brilliant, super colorful and they look super cozy.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  30. I would like to nominate your blog for a Liebster award. If you would like to accept and nominate other new bloggers please go to my blogpost on the subject.
    http://mary-mann.blogspot.ca/2014/11/liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh, what joyous news about finding a kindred spirit in your new neighbor! I'm trying not to be too jealous. I love life in the country but miss having neighbors who feel they can pop in at a moment's notice. Your Mukluk slippers are just the most fabulous things I've seen yet. LOVE them!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Your neigbour sounds a kindred spirit. Enjoy your walks together. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  33. Enjoy your walking knitter neighbour....I am envious :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. I'm catching up on all your posts I missed!
    Yay for finding a lovely neighbour you have heaps in common with. I love your slippers. I understand putting off sewing tasks!

    ReplyDelete