Friday, December 26, 2014

Five on Friday

Amy at Love Made My Home has organized a Five on Friday blog party. My first turn has fallen on Boxing Day, and I thought I would take advantage of this holiday season to share five memories of Christmas past.

Here I am with my parents. I'm not counting this as one of my five memories, since I was too little when this picture was taken to actually remember that tinsel laden tree.


For some reason my parents had a fondness for tinsel. The memory that stands out from decorating the tree is that we had to place each individual piece of tinsel on. Tossing handfuls of the stuff was not allowed. It was a rather tedious job.


We would alternate Christmas between my grandparents who lived about 20 minutes away from our farm, and my grandma who lived three days away in San Diego, California. My grandma that lived nearby loved to sew clothes for us. Here I am with my cousins, and, as you can see, my grandma made Marcia and me matching dresses this particular Christmas. We would go to my grandparents' home on Christmas Eve, and I can remember listening to the radio on the way back to our farm. They would have reports of Santa being spotted on the radar.


I loved going to California for Christmas. I'm not sure my parents felt the same way. Imagine stuffing three kids and all their Christmas presents in a car and driving for three days. Then packing the car back up and driving three days home. But for me it was magical. There was the San Diego Zoo, Sea World, picking ripe tangerines from the trees in my grandma's yard, and so many other things that were a world away from my rural life in northern Idaho. It's hard to know which memory out of so many to pick, so I'll go with the funniest one. One year on the long drive down my mom got annoyed at my dad for tipping too much at a restaurant. For the rest of the trip every time my we ate a meal my mom would linger a bit until we had walked away from the table, then pocket the tip money. I have no idea how much she had by the time we reached San Diego.


My parents sent out photo Christmas cards every year. This was probably my favourite. My brothers and I had gone up in the woods with my dad to chop down a Christmas tree. I like it much better than the one they sent out on my first Christmas where I was naked in the kitchen sink.


This final one was from our first Christmas in our new house. Mostly I put this picture in so you could enjoy the blast from the past provided by those plaid pants my brothers are wearing. Just another reason to be glad the 1970s are ancient history!


I am joining in Five on Friday, taking five minutes from our day to enjoy five things. Please go and visit the other people who are also blogging about Five on Friday this week. 

Amy from Love Made My Home
Patricia from A Place For Everything
Katharine from Art-e-facts
Selma from Eclectic Home and Life
Marion from My Two Girls

33 comments:

  1. Kristie, I remember the tinsel, too. By 1974, though, when I got a cat, I left off the practice because it was an attraction my cat couldn't resist and eating tinsel was not a good thing for her. I agree about the 1970's and the plaid pants. What were we thinking?! My husband never wore plaid (just stripes), but my father-in-law did!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Plaid pants! Yes. And one tiny piece of tinsel at a time, yes to that too. But my favorite picture in the bunch is the very first one I saw, you sitting in your dad's lap. That one made me smile and made me imagine what it felt like to be a little girl safe in her daddy's lap. So so sweet. Happy Boxing Day, Kristie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for posting and taking part, I will pop back! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Kristie I loved those Christmas Eves at grandpa and grandmas! Grandma always made it special. And our matching dresses were the best. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your photos. I still have the Fisher Price garage my son received from Santa. It is now in constant use by my grandchildren and is still in great condition with no broken bits. So glad I squirreled some toys away from my non-hoarding husband. Aye they don't make them like that now !

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are wonderful Christmas memories. Love the dress your Grandma made and your photos with your parents. Hope you had a great Christmas. ps. I found your blog via Amy's

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful memories Kristie. I must look through my old photo albums to wake up some memories of my own. I quite like plaid trousers actually :-) We have one pair for little boys for the annual tartan non school uniform day.... Have a lovely weekend! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love those plaid pants, great memories Kristen.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  9. What lovely happy family photos. I hope you and yours had a wonderful Christmas. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha ha that tinsel! Yes we had to put it on one strand at a time and take it off one strand at a time back onto its special piece of cardboard with the cut out slots. After a few years it would be all curly and full of kinks and half its length! A brand new box of tinsel was a cause for celebration!! So funny now! And you would find bits of tinsel all over the house for months afterward! Plaid pants!! They are coming back in style, like so many other 70's styles. I just have to laugh sometimes. Thanks for sharing your memories!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for the excellent Christmas memories, Kristie. It's so funny to look at the fashions from the past, and the 3-day trip to San Diego must have been a marathon effort for your parents. As kids, though, we enjoyed such adventures. Great post, and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely memories and those photos are brilliant. 3 day drive with excited kids!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Super memories Kristie. Yes I remember the tinsel literally dripping from the tree and those hairstyles and clothes feature in many of my old photos too. :))

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great Christmas memories, thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've popped in through a Five on Friday link, what great Christmas photos you have! Happy memories - especially those pants. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ah yes, the tinsel. We not only placed it strand by strand, but we saved it and recycled it year after year. It was quite a task to pull it off and try to store it without tangling it. I remember the first year my parents bought a tinsel garland - it seemed so fat and easy to handle by comparison!

    Someday those plaid pants will be back in style.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Five lovely memories. Five fabulous photos. It has been great doing Five on Friday with you.x

    ReplyDelete
  18. I hopped over here by a five on Friday link from Amy's site. Like your story!

    ReplyDelete
  19. It was wonderful to read your Christmassy memories and to see the photos and outfits! Such great things to look back on. All that tinsel too, it takes ages to put it on strand by strand doesn't it! Thank you so much for joining in five on Friday, I enjoyed your post! Hope you had a great Christmas and will have a wonderful new year! xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great memories. We had the tinsel on our tree too (although not as much as on yours) and had to put it on a piece at a time. I never really liked it so we don't do it now. I can sure see why you liked going to California for Christmas - what fun. I would like that too. My Christmases haven't changed a whole lot from when I was a child as we still even get together with the same relatives.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great pictures and memories Kristie! I was going to ask if you decorated the tree on Christmas Eve (every other year), but probably not since you had someplace to be. We did tinsel one strand at a time too. And removed it one strand at a time. I joke about that, but it was one of many experiences that helped me to learn some valuable lessons...lessons I worry I haven't taught my children. But it's never too late. :)

    PS - I hope your family is having a wonderful holiday season!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What beautiful memories of Christmas you have shared Kristie-I have just popped over from Amy's blog. I loved growing up in the 70s too and like to revisit them but I agree-some of the fashions are best left behind!
    A very Happy New Year
    Best wishes
    Alison
    farmhousetraditions.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh my goodness, those are great pictures! Makes me (almost) want to look through old albums to reminisce as well! Happy New Year, Kristie!

    ReplyDelete
  24. There did seem to be a national meltdown in good taste in the seventies! EGAD, I remember my clothes and the furniture I selected when we got married in 1974. The horror of it all. I loved the matching dresses and the plaid pants which my brothers also wore. And seriously, Kristie, you were the cutest little baby girl!!!! Oh my goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ha! Those plaid pants are AWESOME!
    Happy New Year :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great photos and great memories. Hope you have a very Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Happy New Year! I have some of the same childhood memories that you do. The first is not being allowed to throw tinsel on the tree! We also had to put it on strand by strand. It could take hours it seemed! The second is that I'm sure I have a pciture of my brother wearing an almost identical outfit! That really was fashion at its finest...lol. Thanks for sharing and reminding me of those things. Wishing you all the best in the New Year.

    Mary Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  28. happy new year! I love walking down memory lane, photos of me usually are of me crying, I was an intense child!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wonderful images and memories you have shared with us. I had forgotten we had tinsel like that too! Wishing you and your family a very happy new year.Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love the old photos! I love the over the top tinsel tree too! I hope you had a lovely family Christmas xxx

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thanks so much for sharing those photos. They are terrific!
    I hope plaid pants are not really making a comeback …
    LisaRR

    ReplyDelete
  32. Sorry I'm so late, Kristie, but I really loved this post - both the photos and your memories. We used to think it was hard enough to travel from Mid-Wales to the north-west of England at Christmas,. A three day trip each way truly was a marathon!

    ReplyDelete
  33. A great trip down memory lane. I remember the long thin bits of tinsel. What a nightmare! Yes clothes from the 70s were interesting weren't they.

    ReplyDelete