Thursday, February 12, 2015

A Birthday Walk

Thank you to everyone for the kind words you left on my last blog post. It meant a lot, and made me realize once again how important this blogging community is to me. I feel like I have friends all around the world, and I appreciate each one of you.

Yesterday was my birthday, and when I got up in the morning I was determined to make it a good day. I thought about what I would really like to do, and decided the answer was to go explore someplace new with Jay, Fergus and Jenny. I did some Googling and discovered there's a Great Blue Heron Nature Reserve less than a half hour's drive from where we live.

It is a few weeks before the herons nest, but we still managed to spot several as we walked along. You can just make out the heron in the centre of this picture.


Several herons flew overhead, but were incredibly hard to capture with the camera. It's not a great picture, but at least it gives you an idea of how huge their wingspan is.


In the distance you can see the nests high up in the trees. I plan to go back in a few weeks when they are nesting, so will hopefully have some better pictures to show you then.


It's always nice to have Jay along on a nature hike. He knows so many more wild plants than I do. He identified this as wild clematis, gone to seed. I thought it looked like ghosts, dancing in the wind. Can you tell which one of us has the degree in biology?


The dogs had a great time, but Fergus was no longer a white dog at the end of the walk. He went straight into the tub without passing Go the minute we got home. This picture was taken before the damage was done.


There's a little known side benefit to owning dogs, and that is the fact you get extra presents on your birthday. Fergus and Jenny did some online shopping and surprised me with some yarn I had been wanting.

Jenny got me some Lett-Lopi to knit a vest that's been in my Ravelry queue for quite awhile.


Fergus, wanting to outshine Jenny, got me some Rowan Kid Classic to make one of the sweaters out of the Yokes book.


And for no other reason than it was my birthday, and this made me smile, here's a picture of Lucy that Karsten texted me.


I'll be away for a few days, so will catch up on all of your blogs early next week. Have a great weekend!




31 comments:

  1. Glad you had a happy BD. I love to watch our Blue Heron fly - like a pterodactyl flapping across the lake! I have found I can watch one land on the other side, so I KNOW where he is - but still can't spot him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just catching up, so sorry to read your previous post- that must be very tough. Good friends are such special people. So pleased you had a lovely birthday. The herons are wonderful and my dogs did exactly the same as yours yesterday! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy belated birthday, Kristie! It sounds like you had a wonderful day (although you didn't mention cake...). -- Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy belated birthday. Sounds like you had a wonderful trip out and those dogs of yours are certainly very generous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday, Kristie! I enjoyed hearing about and seeing your nature walk.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday Kristie, it sounds like an excellent day. The heron reserve looks like a lovely place to explore, exactly the sort of thing I'd choose to do on my birthday. Great yarn too, lucky you having dogs! CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday, Kristie!!! What smart pups you have there. My cats could do similar feats of Internet shopping, and they always managed to get me something I liked. ;-) Have a nice break! Lucy is looking so much older -- and I love her sweater. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday - Love the pic, would have loved to see the after with the non-white version of the dog! And yarn, for a birthday present, is just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy birthday and have you too a great and creative week end !! I'm looking forward to seeing your lett lopi vest ....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Many happy returns Kristie!! Sounds like the perfect day. Was there cake?
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. happy birthday!! How did your sweet little dogs know exactly what to buy? I wonder :) Love the last photo of your dear heart :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What? I must have a word with Max immediately. He owes me approximately eight years worth of birthday gifts. The little shirker. Hope your birthday is a wonderful one and I'm glad to see a little sun in your neck of the woods.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy, Happy Birthday to you!!!!! So glad you were spoiled with yarn, it doesn't get better than that.
    Love sweet Lucy.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Birthday!!! Fergus and Jenny did very well with their shopping didn't they, what clever little doggies! I am glad that you had a good day! xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy birthday (its mine tomorrow). Your dogs have really good taste in yarn, they did well. Lucy looks gorgeous in her cardigan

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Birthday, Kristie! We have seen herons while holidaying on Cortes Island and actually rowed quite close to them. They are such interesting birds! When you mentioned gifts from your dogs, I had something quite different in mind. I thought they would be presenting them to you on the walk!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Birthday to you, Kristie. You have very thoughtful dogs, with extremely good taste. Enjoy your travels.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Glad that you had a good day on your birthday. I look forward to seeing that Kid Classic knitted up - lovely colours. We call that wild clematis Travellers' Joy or Old Man's Beard.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy Birthday, Kristie! And good job on those presents, Fergus and Jenny...I'm impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy belated birthday, Kristie! It sounds like you had a great day. Fergus and Jenny are great little shoppers. Hope you're having a nice time away.

    ReplyDelete
  21. We inherited my father in laws dog last year, I will remind my husband that extra presents are in order for birthdays & mothers day! Happy belated birthday, it sounds like you had a good day with lots of yarny goodies x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy Belated Birthday, Kristie!! Loved your walk.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Belated happy birthday (again)! I say again because I commented on the 12th, even though it doesn't appear. My iPod must have had a weak wi-if connection and the comment I entered didn't actually post. I think I wrote that I knew your birthday was coming up, up it snuck up on me because I thought you were Pisces...and that you made me realize there are lots of places nearby that I have visited, but many not for years and that it may be time to rediscover them.
    Also, now belated happy Valentine's Day to you and Jay--and all the Hammond couples!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Belated birthday greetings, Kristie. What a lovely walk you had and I envy you your birthday yarn. Fergus has good taste. :) Isn't Lucy growing up fast?

    In the UK the nickname for wild clematis is Old Man's Beard, which I find very descriptive.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Belated happy birthday from me too, Kristie. The naughty internet has been stopping me getting into many blogs this week. Love the herons, and Fergus and Jenny are becoming excellent online shoppers, a practice which should be encouraged! x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Happy belated Birthday Kristie, I have been very behind with my blog reading so am sending you a big hug as you have been having such a tough time xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. Belated happy birthday from me too! \Fergus and Jenny are clever in their present giving! It is good to see them too, I know how difficult keeping a white dog can be! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  28. Happy Belated Birthday!! What super gifts!! I a tad envious of your Rowan yarn, I haven't knit with that one yet. Breeding Westies to be white was an exercise in futility. Archie is always a dirty light grey no matter what.And he smells too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I know we messaged on the day, but I feel I should also be saying a belated Happy Birthday here too. (I am now off to ask the whippets why I don't get yarn from them on my birthday, heck they don't even give me a present!)

    ReplyDelete