Wednesday, March 11, 2015

In March!

It was fun reading through all your comments regarding kitchen hygiene. Opinions ranged from preferring that hands are washed at the kitchen sink so as to save the good bathroom towels from getting dirty, to people like me who think the bathroom is the only place dirty hands should be washed. One topic that was brought up that I hadn't mentioned was the "hand shakers." Those are the people who wash their hands at the sink, then proceed to shake them, coating everything nearby in drops of water. Yes, this is also very annoying. Several of you have two towels in your kitchen, one for hands and one for dishes. This is a brilliant idea, and I might try it next time we have a houseful of people.

Thank you also for identifying the Japanese quince. I suspect it's blooming a bit earlier than usual. Our weather has been more like the middle of May than March. To give you an idea of just how warm it has been, here is a picture of Lucy that Karsten texted me Sunday. Barefoot at the beach. In March!


My crocus are already past their prime, and now the narcissus are starting to bloom. At least I think they are narcissus and not daffodils. Or are they the same thing? Anyway, I planted the bulbs last fall and now I can't remember what I put in. I seem to use the phrase "I can't remember" a lot lately.


This week I planted some broccoli. In March! I have no idea if it will survive. A friend gave me some of her extra plants, so the only investment I have in them is the time it took to plant them. You can see my garlic in the background. It's at least six inches high already, and the garlic patch down at the community garden is even taller.


Today we have dark skies and rain for the first time in a couple of weeks. It's been a welcome change. Things were so dried out here I actually had to hand water some of my plants over the weekend. In March!


I've managed to finish a pair of socks. This yarn is from Fibernymph Dye Works, and is one of their Inversible Sets colourways. I'm saving them for next fall. Given our warm spring, I think wool sock wearing weather is almost finished. Plus, I always like to have a few new pair to pull out come the beginning of October.


I'm off to Spokane to visit my mom in the morning, and will return Monday. Have a great week!

23 comments:

  1. Inversible socks? Does that mean they are different colors on each side? How do you do that? Love the mountain shot and the Lucy's so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the term narcissus is the genus for the daffodil family, so basically a daffodil is a narcissus, but a narcissus isn't necessarily a daffodil...I think. Anyway, it's amazing to see that you already have flowers blooming up there! What I wouldn't give to see something...anything...growing here in Michigan. We're just starting to get enough snow melted off that we can see a few patches of ground!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The weather is sounding gorgeous, it must be lovely to be pottering in the garden. We managed to make a start yesterday and spent a couple of hours out there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Lucy just gets cuter! The weather here is very similar, very little rain and the garden is already fairly dry, in fact very diggable. Great photo of the mountain. Enjoy your weekend

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful March moments!! I love love love love those socks and the reversibility!!! They will be perfect to look forward to won't they. I hope that the plants in your garden and the community garden both do well!! Have a good time with your Mom. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Look at the glorious colour on that heather! You can coax a yellow dye from those flowers if you soak them long enough but don't overheat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful flowers, and a gorgeous little girl-on-the-beach, Kristie. How warm the weather looks, while it is still sub-zero over in Ottawa. Looks like it might indeed be Spring when we get over there (note to self: re-think the packing). Have a lovely time with your Mum.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Kristie,
    I have to say that apart from a glorious Saturday, March hasn't been up to much here in St Ives. It is raining cats and dogs as I am writing this. I haven't seen Godrevy Lighthouse all week, because of the mist and murk. I am missing my daily dose of her beauty. How lovely to see Lucy paddling with no shoes on!
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. We are having a lovely March here too, we have another day today of lovely sunshine and also now we are beginning to get some warmth in the sun.
    Your socks look wonderful, I love the colours.
    Good luck with the 2 towels, it may do the trick, but I have to say at one time we had 2 sinks in our kitchen, 1 for washing up and the other for the more dirty things in life, like grubby hands. We haven't got them now as my system didn't seem to work and we eventually recycled a practically new sink!

    ReplyDelete
  10. love the beach picture....I was nude sunbathing on the back porch that day - gotta love spring in Vancouver!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's quite mild here as well. I love the shot of the cloud around the mountain. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such cute socks - love the reverse colours. I'm starting to get the gardening bug already, too, although it feels way too early. Enjoy your trip to Spokane. Is there a yarn shop there?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your greenery is very encouraging! Our snow has just started to melt. We don't have anything sprouting. I'm planning to start my vegetables indoors over the weekend, so hopefully the weather continues to cooperate and we have a warm spring too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, your spring has come early, Kristie. The thought of bare feet at the beach in March makes me shiver. The yellow and white flowers are narcissi, not daffodils. Love the socks!

    PS Just to say that having two towels in the kitchen is pretty general in the UK. I don't know anyone who doesn't have both a hand towel and a tea towel and that was true of my childhood also. It probably dates back to the days when workin- class houses didn't have bathrooms at all and all washing had to be done in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My garlic is just barely poking through.. probably unsure yet whether or not to go for it! ;) Lovely pics!

    ReplyDelete
  16. My husband is a hand shaker and it drives me crazy! There is always drops of water everywhere in the kitchen and on his bathroom mirror. Love, love, love the socks. Have a great time with your Mom.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  17. OK the socks are awesome!!
    I keep thinking that winter is still going to hit us, but here we are mid March and no sign yet. The birds are so loud in the mornings now. Today I decided to plant peas and spinach and just take my chances. Of course, that means it will likely snow soon ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, what great weather! Love the plants and flowers, and also those fun socks!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your socks look amazing. I once began knitting a pair of socks. Embarrassingly never finished them. Actually didn't even finish one of them. I had holes where I had changed needles & from them on, was never happy with them. Yours look so neat (in the organised & tidy sense of the word).

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Kristie, I missed the hand towel debate - how fascinating! I actually have hand soap at the kitchen sink because the kitchen sink is so convenient and I wash my hands a million times during the day. My hands are clean so I have no problem drying them on the tea towel in the kitchen, which gets thrown in the wash every day, sometimes a few are in the clothes basket by the end of the day. Tea towels are for clean hands and dishes only, it drives me mental when the rest of the family use the tea towels for spills and cleaning up things, which they do ALL THE TIME. I dislike the shaking thing immensely, especially in public bathrooms when someone with wet hands has just opened the door and then you have to touch that spot - I don't think I trust that they cleaned their hands properly or something. Anyway, this is fascinating stuff.....I do love those socks, and of course Lucy is growing up every time I see a new photo of her xxx

    ReplyDelete
  21. This weather is completely disorienting me -- I've had field panic way earlier this year because I was able to bike outside in shorts in February. In FEBRUARY!! And of course, the weather is freaking me out knowing that we are looking at an even worse fire season this year with such a low snowpack and general precipitation. On the plus side, I may actually get to see my lilacs bloom this year before leaving for the field!

    I LOVE those socks. I've seen other inversible socks and will eventually make some...although I have an idea for dying some myself (no stripes cuz I haven't mastered that technique) and now I just may have to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Just love those socks a great and very fun idea!

    ReplyDelete