Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Away Again

I thought I should do a quick post before I disappear for a few days. Tomorrow I am driving down to Spokane, then Friday my mom and I are flying to Chicago to visit my brother. I think this might turn out to be my lowest budget trip ever. My brother has air miles running out his ears, so he got the tickets. And my mom is not in great health and isn't really able to do much in the way of tourist activities, so I don't see it costing us very much when we are there. Unless, of course, I happen upon a yarn shop.

I always enjoy reading your comments, and wanted to respond to a few things from the last couple of posts I have written. Several of you wondered if it would be possible to have the cougar moved to a different location. Unfortunately that isn't a possibility. There are several reasons for this, the main one being the cost involved. Generally speaking, in this province when there is a bear or cougar that is proving to be a problem they are put down. It's the reason the conservation officer said he wouldn't come out unless several other complaints were made. To come out meant he would have to shoot the cougar.

As for the heron nests, I was very surprised as well when I saw how small they were compared to the size of the birds. We had binoculars with us, and when I got a close-up view it looked rather silly to see such a big bird in such a small nest. I have no idea how there could possibly be room for eggs!

Also, when I mentioned I was starting a sweater called the Plain Grandpa Sweater there was a comment saying the sweater seemed too nice for its name. I agree. Here it is, finished and ready to be gifted to a friend.

Plain Grandpa Sweater, size 12 months

The instructions didn't say how to make the button loop, so I did some Googling and came up with this YouTube tutorial. I was really pleased with the result.


Now it's time to do some packing. I hope you have a great week!

*Edited to say this is a baby sweater, meant to fit a a 12 month old. It looks bigger than it really is in the picture. Ravelry details here.

17 comments:

  1. I love the way this sweater came out. It looks cozy. It will be so nice to wear with jeans. I hope you have a good trip. Enjoy the time with your mom and brother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really lovely sweater!
    Have a wonderful time in Chicago with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally want to check out those heron nests. Have a great family holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I love that little sweater. Wish I was a knitter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a cool sweater, just a perfect balance between simplicity (garter stitch!) and style. Enjoy your trip. I do hope your mum is well enough to enjoy a couple of outings. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope that you have a good time on your travels and that your Mom enjoys the visit. Have fun if you find a yarn shop!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Kristie,
    Enjoy your time with family. Love the jumper. The colour is gorgeous.
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. The baby sweater is lovely. Hope you have a great time away. A visit to a yarn shop would be nice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have a lovely trip to Chicago, Kristie, and I hope you have the best time. Love your beautiful knitting, and the little baby jacket is sweet and precious. It is also interesting about the cougar, and is similar to dangerous wildlife in Australia. Crocodiles are only shot when there is a bad attack, and people are constantly advised, with lots of signs, not to venture into their area. Snakes are protected also, and generally relocated rather than shot.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the colour of the baby sweater. Have a good trip!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a gorgeous sweater. Have a wonderful trip. Aren't air-miles wonderful? :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The sweater is just gorgeous. I love it. Have a wonderful trip.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope you have a wonderful trip seeing your brother and being all together. I love the construction of the sweater and of course a cardigan is dear to my heart :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. so cute sweeter, hope you have a real good trip with your mother Jaana

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is a beautiful sweater! I hope your mom enjoyed the trip. It was good of you to go with her. That probably sounds weird to you, but I see so many people who seem to forget they have a parent. I've got fingers selfishly crossed for my future. I think we set a good example, but that's no guarantee.

    PS - What were the odds you'd find a yarn shop??? :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the sweater. So simple so beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hope you have a lovely time away with your family and don't discover to many yarn shops! The sweater is so lovely the colours you choose are always so appealing to me. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete