Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Hap-py

Last month I joined a hap knitalong on the Knit British forum on Ravelry. A knitalong is just what its name implies. A group of knitters, sometimes in person but more often through a forum on Ravelry, all start knitting something at the same time. It can be anything from socks to mittens to a sweater. Sometimes it isn't an object but a goal, like knitting something from your yarn stash, or something for charity.

Ella from Jamieson & Smith has done a lovely job of explaining what a hap is in a recent blog post which can be found here. It's a lovely write-up, and she has included lots of great pictures. (The very short, and not completely correct definition is a hap is a kind of shawl originally made and worn in Shetland.)

I knew I wanted my hap to reflect the colours of Shetland in some way, and I also knew I wanted to knit the hap from my stash yarn. When I was in Shetland I had purchased a kit to knit a sweater by Kate Davies, but two years later the balls of yarn were still sitting untouched, so I decided the yarn should be a hap instead. Kate had already done the hard work of choosing colours that reflected the natural beauty of Shetland, so all I had to do was narrow down which of the colours in the kit to use. To begin with, I went back to my trip photos and picked several from Burrastow House, the amazing B&B where Kath and Jean and I stayed.







Then I used this neat trick I learned on the Knit British forum for choosing your colours. You simply try combinations by wrapping the yarn around a piece of cardboard until you find one you like.




There was also the dilemma of which hap pattern to choose. In the end I decided on the Half Hansel Hap by Gudrun Johnston. It was being knit by many others in the Knit British Hapalong, and I really liked the look of it. But better yet, Gudrun has a Craftsy class where she takes you step by step through the process of knitting it. Between the encouragement on Ravelry and the excellent teaching by Gudrun, I actually managed to successfully knit the hap. Introducing Burrastow, the latest project off my needles.




Thanks to my knitting neighbour Lynda who kindly volunteered to take pictures, here's one of me with my new hap.




I loved everything about this project from start to finish, and was actually sad when I cast off. Usually by the time I finish something I'm ready to move on, but not this time. I'll definitely be making another one at some point.

*If you're interested in joining the hapalong there's still lots of time. It's open until July 12.

27 comments:

  1. It's absolutely lovely, well done you. And such a good size, it will be very snuggly on a chilly day. I really, really like this one, and I love the Shetland inspiration. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your hap is gorgeous. Like you I am sad now that mine is finished too. This is my most favourite project ever. I think the spirit of everyone on the knitalong is incredible. Everyone is so helpful and there have been so many interesting threads. I have never taken
    part in a knitalong before this as I was so afraid of failing . But with this one there has been plenty of time and I have even completed two haps. Success !
    Enjoy your hap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely beautiful!! I love love love it!! Your colour choices are just perfect! I love that hap and I love the knit on edging. It's so classic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely, thank you for the kind mention xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful and it looks so cozy too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, that is stunning. Beautiful work!!! You did a great job with the colors. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you only just joined that group last month, you must be an awfully fast knitter to have finished this hap already! Do you know about how many hours it took you? It's lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks amazing Kristie!!! Everybody, it feels amazing too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is beautiful and I love the colours you used. I am really getting into shawl knitting, this just might be one to add to my list, well done

    ReplyDelete
  10. A stunning piece of work, absolutely beautiful. Beautiful pattern and colour combination.

    ReplyDelete
  11. As I read your post I immediately thought, stunning. Then as I went to type my comment I noticed the previous comment said stunning too. So I tried to think of a different word to describe your hap but I kept coming back to stunning. Really really stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is absolutely gorgeous Kristie! I do love how you matched the colours to those on the first photograph! x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, it's beautiful! I've been ogling the gorgeous knits in the television series Outlander. I'm not sure if anything Clare wears could be classified as a hap, but perhaps. Regardless, I've learned a little bit today. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is beautiful (and so is your hair!).

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so pretty Kristie! I love the simple design, with just enough fancy lace work throughout to make it delicate. Great work :)
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, it's gorgeous. I have started crocheting myself a shawl and then Christmas got in the way and I a haven't picked it up again. I suspect I feel I will never use it so have never finished it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's beautiful, Kristie. It looks like the perfect thing to wear right now while the weather is trying to make up it's mind.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, it's gorgeous! I love the colors you used in the border. Really well done.

    ReplyDelete
  19. oh I love your Hap, it's real beauty.take care Jaana

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my goodness Kristen, it is just amazing. You did choose the colors that had the right feel to them and the pattern is just gorgeous. Well done my friend.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  21. From a very warm and muggy southwestern Ontario, I must say, IT IS BEYOND WORDS!!! Just plain breathtaking, both colour and craftsmanship.

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's beautiful, well done you!

    (Every time you mention Burrastow I revisit my sadness at missing our holiday. Maybe another year?)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I like this SO MUCH! Everything about it says "Kristie" to me.

    ReplyDelete